UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best Time to Feed dogs when hunting
Feeding dogs when hunting
This poll is closed.
In the morning? 10 11.90%
In afternoon? 9 10.71%
After hunting 46 54.76%
In morning and after hunting 19 22.62%
Total: 84 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
duke20002000
UKC Forum Member

Best Time to Feed dogs when hunting

Best time to feed your dog?
Do some prefer mornings?
Do you prefer afternoon?
Do you prefer after hunting?

Warrens Midnight Ryder.

Call 517-219-5556

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2021 08:01 PM
duke20002000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duke20002000 Click here to Send duke20002000 a Private Message Click Here to Email duke20002000 Find more posts by duke20002000 Add duke20002000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

About a year ago I switched to feeding them twice a day... no particular reason. It worked out well though since one of my dog now requires medication twice a day.

Old Post 03-02-2021 09:49 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mulerider
UKC Forum Member

I feed my dogs the same time everyday. After I get off work. Usually 5:30 or so.

Old Post 03-03-2021 12:43 AM
mulerider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mulerider Click here to Send mulerider a Private Message Find more posts by mulerider Add mulerider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

A long time ago I dealt with a twisted gut that the vet said was caused by feeding prior to hunting. I don't know if he was right, but I lost a nice pup over the deal and have fed after I hunt ever since. When it's bad cold or I'm hunting real hard I may feed twice a day, but never just before I go hunting.

Old Post 03-03-2021 03:30 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Twice a day since 1985. Had a Bluetick female that survived Gastric Torsion and have fed twice a day ever since.

Plus I enjoy the time interacting with the dogs. I spend 45-50 mins. twice a day feeding and interacting my dogs. They look forward to it and so do I!

Old Post 03-03-2021 04:14 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Feed twice a day. 1/2 on the morning, and 1/2 after hunting. Have for years.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 03-03-2021 04:45 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

By "best time" for feeding, do you mean best for the dog or best for the owner? While it seems to make sense that a human or dog will perform better on a half full stomach, there are no studies to show this. And a lot of human athletes, especially marathon runners practice "carbohydrate loading" right before a race.

No one really knows at this time what causes "gastric torsion" despite what a vet might tell you. It doesn't happen while a dog is active but while they are at rest.

While it seems that smaller meals 3 or 4 times a day would be better, in the wild a lot of animals will eat a giant meal every 2 or 3 days. But some dogs will even "save" part of their food and eat a little all day while others "wolf" down all that you give them. Feeding a dog after hunting might seem best and is probably the most convenient time for the owner but it means that the dog has to hunt on a completely empty stmach and might be at its lowest energy level.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 03-03-2021 at 03:52 PM

Old Post 03-03-2021 03:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duke20002000
UKC Forum Member

Feeding

I feed in morning time and after hunting..
When I am not hunting just morning. I like to ask
? To see what poeple think lol
Thank for all reply.

Warrens Midnight Ryder.

Call 517-219-5556

Old Post 03-03-2021 04:09 PM
duke20002000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duke20002000 Click here to Send duke20002000 a Private Message Click Here to Email duke20002000 Find more posts by duke20002000 Add duke20002000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I recently read of a study where it was proven that dogs work best on a completely empty stomach, 24 hours after feeding last. That way they are using stored energy rather than energy from digesting food. It gives the dog a much more stable energy flow. There is a reason why wild canines hunt on an empty stomach.

Old Post 03-03-2021 04:09 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
I recently read of a study where it was proven that dogs work best on a completely empty stomach, 24 hours after feeding last. That way they are using stored energy rather than energy from digesting food. It gives the dog a much more stable energy flow. There is a reason why wild canines hunt on an empty stomach.

I had fed after hunting for a number of years. I also saw a research done saying 24 hours after feeding was prime time for performance. So that just strengthened that idea.

Years ago I had a hound that had low blood sugar so I had to feed him a few times a day. Actually just put him on self feeder. After a week or 2 of gorging himself on it, it balanced out and he stayed at a reasonable hunting weight.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 03-03-2021 05:00 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

That was not a study that was Purina writing an article to promote there performance food. The study was just that it takes 20 to 24 hours for all the food to move through the colon. The theory is the dog will be more comfortable to hunt with no fecal content in the bowels. This is based on bird dogs in field trials, and gray hounds racing. They don't use near the energy our coondogs do in one nite hunting. 6 hours before the dogs hunt is best. It gives the dog time to digest its food and move it through there bowels.Yet giving the dog the fuel it needs for energy. Dogs fed longer than 6 hours before hunting use protein for fuel, which depletes there muscle. By feeding 6 hours before dogs use fat and carbs.

Old Post 03-05-2021 12:17 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

Feeding time

Three reasons I feed at night or after I hunt .I always thought that animals in the wild hunt ,then eat ,then rest . So it’s seems natural . I’ve never really researched it but was told feeding before hunting could cause twisted gut . Last reason is it’s convenient for me and it doesn’t stir the dogs up in the morning .

Old Post 03-07-2021 03:44 AM
gcblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gcblues Click here to Send gcblues a Private Message Find more posts by gcblues Add gcblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote