UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Age To Start
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Age To Start

How old should a pup be before you start knocking squirrels out to them? This pup is 6 weeks old. Is that too early? Should I wait until they are weaned?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 09-17-2019 at 03:48 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-17-2019 03:36 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

For dogs of that color I would start with possum drags, that generally gets them real excited

Old Post 09-17-2019 04:42 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

hmmm that color about 4 yrs old. that's what tar said. lol

Old Post 09-17-2019 05:20 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Good looking pups...

Old Post 09-17-2019 05:28 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tln70
UKC Forum Member

Boy I sure hate to tell you this, but looks like you waited to late on these pups. If they are not treeing before their eyes open, then it's too late. Lol
Nice looking pups

Old Post 09-19-2019 09:04 PM
tln70 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tln70 Click here to Send tln70 a Private Message Click Here to Email tln70 Find more posts by tln70 Add tln70 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What does their color have to do with it? How old are y'all's spotted pups before you start knocking anything out to them?

Old Post 09-21-2019 02:23 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Personally, I have seen spotted dogs as you call them, running and treeing their own coons by 9 months old. Now that was in Janurary not the summer and they could hunt far enough to strike wild coons, not off feeders, run and tree and have the meat. I am sure some will say younger than that, but in these mountains, I think that was the youngest I have seen do so consistently. How about you and those red dogs, how old before they can and do tree their own wild coons consistently? Dave

Old Post 09-21-2019 02:45 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards, what does that have to do with how long should I wait to start knocking squirrels out to these pups?

Old Post 09-21-2019 03:41 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

When they start treeing them by themselves, to borrow a phrase from another forum member ( Rocky Tanner ) "if a puppy can pull a train, hook them up to it". Hope that answers your question better. Squirrel might be a better option for you, I was talking coon dogs, I am getting old and forgot you were talking about Redbone pups. Lol. Dave

Old Post 09-21-2019 04:50 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote