UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Feeders
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jay Dangers
UKC Forum Member

Coon Feeders

Can someone post some pictures of coon feeders, I need to make a couple. The coon are getting in the the bird feeders and the land owner said he's goin to shoot them, so I figure that if I put out a couple feeders the coon will leave the bird feeder alone?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2007 03:40 AM
Jay Dangers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jay Dangers Click here to Send Jay Dangers a Private Message Click Here to Email Jay Dangers Find more posts by Jay Dangers Add Jay Dangers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I don't know if putting feeders out will keep them out of the bird feeders or not....

5 gallon bucket.

Just a hole in the ground with corn in it.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-10-2007 03:46 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jay Dangers
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Hobo, It's a good spot for pup training it's just thick with coon. All I can do is try to keep them away from the bird feeders. I would hate to lose coon right at this time of the year with the sows being heavy with kitts.

Old Post 04-10-2007 03:52 AM
Jay Dangers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jay Dangers Click here to Send Jay Dangers a Private Message Click Here to Email Jay Dangers Find more posts by Jay Dangers Add Jay Dangers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bear
UKC Forum Member

www.kettlelickridgekennel.8m.com

click on coon feeder page

Old Post 04-10-2007 12:48 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Click Here to Email Bear Find more posts by Bear Add Bear to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jda
UKC Forum Member

WE USE A HOLLOWED OUT LOG & FILL IT WITH SOURED CORN

Old Post 04-10-2007 01:30 PM
jda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jda Click here to Send jda a Private Message Find more posts by jda Add jda to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneck_girl
UKC Forum Member

COOL PIS JDA!!!

Proud Owner of
Indian River Kennels
Home of....

The Blueticks...

CH Finchams Indian River Smoke
CH Finchams Ind Riv Wind Dancer
CH Indian River Smokin Rowdy Too
PR' Finchams Indian River WildRose
The Walker...
PR' Fincham's Indian River Scrappy Doo (watch out for this pup and his boy!)

Smoke is now at stud...
(440) 839-2525
(419) 577-5365
www.freewebs.com/finchamsindianriverkennels/

Old Post 04-10-2007 02:24 PM
redneck_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneck_girl Click here to Send redneck_girl a Private Message Click Here to Email redneck_girl Find more posts by redneck_girl Add redneck_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tmcfalls
UKC Forum Member

If you have turkeys in your neck of the woods I would recommend hanging something up in a tree where the turkeys can't get to it easily. When I had feeders out I used a 30 gallon barrel with a hole cut into it and also used buckets with a lid that had two holes for pipes in it.

I tried a 5 gallon bucket on the ground and the deer and turkeys would empty it faster than I could carry corn to it, usually it was gone within a day.

Old Post 04-10-2007 02:27 PM
tmcfalls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tmcfalls Click here to Send tmcfalls a Private Message Find more posts by tmcfalls Add tmcfalls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Wiles
Banned

Natural Traits In A Hound

Will help more than using feeders I see/hear of so many experienced trainers/hunters causing problems with young hounds by training them on feeders. I believe a yound hound has the instinct to hunt, strike, tree with a natural ability and using a man made tool is not giving that you hound his best chance of becoming a dog you can or will be proud of. Good luck with she/he but if your breed of hound doesn't have the desire to do it naturally you might want to look for another bloodline or another breed.

Old Post 04-10-2007 02:41 PM
Mark Wiles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Wiles Click here to Send Mark Wiles a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Wiles Find more posts by Mark Wiles Add Mark Wiles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Donaldson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Natural Traits In A Hound

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wiles
Will help more than using feeders I see/hear of so many experienced trainers/hunters causing problems with young hounds by training them on feeders. I believe a yound hound has the instinct to hunt, strike, tree with a natural ability and using a man made tool is not giving that you hound his best chance of becoming a dog you can or will be proud of. Good luck with she/he but if your breed of hound doesn't have the desire to do it naturally you might want to look for another bloodline or another breed.

Let's add premier dog trainer to that growing list.

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Old Post 04-10-2007 03:09 PM
Mike Donaldson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Donaldson Click here to Send Mike Donaldson a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Donaldson Find more posts by Mike Donaldson Add Mike Donaldson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jda
UKC Forum Member

mark wiles,you are more then welcome to your opinon,but it sure has worked for me to start pups off of them...if you look at the picture and you see 2-7 coons on that feeder,it cant help but fire a pup up...

Old Post 04-10-2007 04:17 PM
jda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jda Click here to Send jda a Private Message Find more posts by jda Add jda to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Wiles
Banned

LOW COON POPULATION ?

quote:
Originally posted by jda
mark wiles,you are more then welcome to your opinon,but it sure has worked for me to start pups off of them...if you look at the picture and you see 2-7 coons on that feeder,it cant help but fire a pup up...
Well ............you know what you want and what you have .............by the way do you have a low coon population in the state you live if that is the case I can see why you might need to use those man made feeders, but I hope you would know when to put a stop to it. I will not continue to insult you here and did not intend to at all. A young hound that I wish to train/hunt must pocess these natural traits........1. Desire 2. Hunt. 3. Strike, Trail , Tree........The desire shown by a young hound to hunt, trail and tree and the great feeling it gives one to know you have that special hound that has the abilities to do it the natural way is what I like in a hound. Good luck with what ever you want in a hound

Last edited by Mark Wiles on 04-10-2007 at 04:35 PM

Old Post 04-10-2007 04:24 PM
Mark Wiles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Wiles Click here to Send Mark Wiles a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Wiles Find more posts by Mark Wiles Add Mark Wiles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvhounds
UKC Forum Member

Re: LOW COON POPULATION ?

quote:
Well ............you know what you want and what you have .............by the way do you have a low coon population in the state you live if that is the case I can see why you might need to use those man made feeders, but I hope you would know when to put a stop to it

JV??

WILDFIRE
If your dog is fat,you aren't getting enuff exercise!

Old Post 04-10-2007 04:25 PM
wvhounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvhounds Click here to Send wvhounds a Private Message Visit wvhounds's homepage! Find more posts by wvhounds Add wvhounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jda
UKC Forum Member

i dont think we have a low coon population.maybe where i junt my pups we do..one of the reasons for the feeders...and they will not see that feeder once they start to run and tree .....

Old Post 04-10-2007 04:30 PM
THEWOODENBADGER
Banned

FEEDERS

Will make dogs not want to hunt for a wild raccoon. The dog won't get out of your light. They will want you to walk them to a feeder bucket.

Have you seen anything like this Jeff?

Old Post 04-10-2007 04:38 PM
THEWOODENBADGER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for THEWOODENBADGER Click here to Send THEWOODENBADGER a Private Message Find more posts by THEWOODENBADGER Add THEWOODENBADGER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pigeon
UKC Forum Member

Re: LOW COON POPULATION ?

quote:
Well ............you know what you want and what you have .............by the way do you have a low coon population in the state you live if that is the case I can see why you might need to use those man made feeders, but I hope you would know when to put a stop to it. I will not continue to insult you here and did not intend to at all. A young hound that I wish to train/hunt must pocess these natural traits........1. Desire 2. Hunt. 3. Strike, Trail , Tree........The desire shown by a young hound to hunt, trail and tree and the great feeling it gives one to know you have that special hound that has the abilities to do it the natural way is what I like in a hound. Good luck with what ever you want in a hound

This needs to be stated again!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hes not training a dog, he just doesnt want them to get shot.

Do you know how much money you could win with that dog?.................Now ask if I care.

Old Post 04-10-2007 04:45 PM
Pigeon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pigeon Click here to Send Pigeon a Private Message Find more posts by Pigeon Add Pigeon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Herring
UKC Forum Member

I have found that corn poured into a slow portion of a small creek, like on the backside of a sandbar, is the best "feed bucket" you can use.
There's no unsightly bucket, old tire, etc for the landowner to find and it teaches a young dog to hunt up and down the creek bank which in my area is a good place to hunt up coons (wild or feeder type). You should change where the corn is put out as available, up and down the creek at different locations....

If you have a creek in the woods near this house this should help keep the coons in the woods where they belong and will aid you next time you are starting a pup.

BTW - I live in an area of extremely low coon populations, in 2003 we had a UKC hunt locally with 24 dogs entered in December and NO COONS were scored....Usually a score or +200 or more is a first place win.

Home of:
CH 'PR' Herring's Pine Cone Tally-Ho (TALLY)
and
In Memory of - CH 'PR' Herring's Pine Cone Chance; aka "The Phenomenon"

Old Post 04-10-2007 05:40 PM
Chris Herring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Herring Click here to Send Chris Herring a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Herring Find more posts by Chris Herring Add Chris Herring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jda
UKC Forum Member

nope badger never seen that...

Old Post 04-10-2007 05:48 PM
railroad
UKC Forum Member

we use sour corn buckets, have had real good luck with catfish food instead of dry corn. less of a deer problem

Treat mtn train
American honey

Old Post 04-10-2007 06:16 PM
railroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for railroad Click here to Send railroad a Private Message Click Here to Email railroad Find more posts by railroad Add railroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackwater Pete
UKC Forum Member

Who says you have to walk the dogs right up to the feeder why wouldn't you turn them loose a reasonable distance from the feeder?

Old Post 04-10-2007 06:18 PM
Blackwater Pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwater Pete Click here to Send Blackwater Pete a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackwater Pete Find more posts by Blackwater Pete Add Blackwater Pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jda
UKC Forum Member

i usually do jason..badger is trying to get under my skin..

Old Post 04-10-2007 06:25 PM
Blackwater Pete
UKC Forum Member

Jeff did you get my PM? Could you let me know when the membership for the LaValle club expires Thanks

Old Post 04-10-2007 06:37 PM
Blackwater Pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwater Pete Click here to Send Blackwater Pete a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackwater Pete Find more posts by Blackwater Pete Add Blackwater Pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I've started getting bread that stores throw away. Break it up into small peices and put in in 55 gallon drums with holes cut in the bottom. Seems to be working good and best of all its free!!! Hunting young dogs on feeders has no effect on them. Its in the dog.Mine will go as far as it takes to get a coon.Sometimes further than I'd like em to and they have been hunted on feeders off and on their whole lives.The dog has to have the hunt and desire to get out and do it!

Old Post 04-10-2007 06:47 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jda
UKC Forum Member

yes i got it..checking into it now..membership is due by may 1st

Old Post 04-10-2007 06:47 PM
wayne f
UKC Forum Member

i see no differance between a corn field and a feed bucket why i use buckets is to keep the coon in an area thats safe to hunt pups i move the feeders every couple of days to keep the pups from getting pattern broke they have to find the coon on there own whether a corn field or a feeder i see no harm from a feeder as i release the pups far enough from the feeders that they must follow the track as if the feeder werent there all it does is keep the coon coming to an area to feed just as all coon do whether it be natural feed or fillrd buckets

Old Post 04-10-2007 07:05 PM
wayne f is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wayne f Click here to Send wayne f a Private Message Click Here to Email wayne f Find more posts by wayne f Add wayne f to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jay Dangers
UKC Forum Member

I NEVER SAID I WAS GOING TO HUNT DOGS OR PUPS OFF THE FEEDERS! ALL I WANT TO DO IS TO KEEP THE COON AWAY FROM THE BIRD FEEDERS, SO THE LAND OWNER DONT START SHOOTING THEM.

Old Post 04-10-2007 11:55 PM