UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > UPDATE on little Chris we raised the $$$ for
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

UPDATE on little Chris we raised the $$$ for

The doctors are recommending an additional surgery before he goes for the big surgery. Chris's feet because of the tightness in his legs point almost straight down. Its very common for this to happen. My girls feet are the same way. They want to correct that by cutting the Achilles Tendon on each ankle to release the tension and correct his feet. They feel fixing this before he goes in for the SDR surgery will help him walk faster after the SDR surgery is done. He goes in for this procedure sometime in December, and after all the healing and therapy is done they can start looking at a date for the SDR surgery.

Thanks guys

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-28-2014 01:08 AM
J. Langley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Langley Click here to Send J. Langley a Private Message Find more posts by J. Langley Add J. Langley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david white
UKC Forum Member

Praying for him

Old Post 10-28-2014 01:11 AM
david white is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david white Click here to Send david white a Private Message Click Here to Email david white Visit david white's homepage! Find more posts by david white Add david white to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

SURGERY

PRAYERS FROM THE RIVERBOTTOM FOR THIS LITTLE GUY

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 10-28-2014 01:40 AM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

Prayers for little man!

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 10-28-2014 03:03 AM
blackdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackdawg Click here to Send blackdawg a Private Message Click Here to Email blackdawg Find more posts by blackdawg Add blackdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

Prayers of comfort and healing from just above the Beaver River.

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 10-28-2014 03:53 PM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

Keep us posted on his progress John, see you soon.

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Old Post 10-28-2014 04:25 PM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

Prayers Sent!

We will be praying for a Good Outcome!

Sincerely, Heather and Bob William

Old Post 10-29-2014 01:08 AM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bryon mcelhaney
UKC Forum Member

Praying for Chris

Rockwood Tn (865)617-2399

GRCH GRNTCH Black Creek Slamin Lucy HTX
CH NTCH Black Creek Bodacious Blk Bart

Old Post 10-29-2014 01:55 AM
bryon mcelhaney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bryon mcelhaney Click here to Send bryon mcelhaney a Private Message Click Here to Email bryon mcelhaney Find more posts by bryon mcelhaney Add bryon mcelhaney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

There's Angels among us, I believe Chris is an Angel, he brought strangers together that will now be lifelong friends that work together, Thanks for the update as he remains in our prayers..

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 10-30-2014 06:22 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys, & I'll try to keep everyone as posted as I can. It's not going to be an over night fix for the guy. He has a lot of hard work ahead of him, but I think he will do great. You are exactly right Tim. Chris & all the kids like him are angels. 100% innocence in these kids. They are amazing kids that show nothing but pure love & joy. We take our kids trick or treating every year to a group home for kids like Chris & Kaira. Every year we want to put them all in the car & take them home with us too. It's amazing the impact these kids can have on you. Our kids have all been touched by our little Kaira that will make them better people their entire lives. They actually will go out of their way to be kind to people & especially special needs kids. Our teenage girl will even stand up for kids when she sees one of them being picked on, & if it doesn't stop I guess the bully might have to show how tough they are lol. Kaira has 2 sisters that now want to be special needs teachers, & her teenage sis wants to be a speech pathologist. Shoot, she has even caused me & her mom to take the plunge back into school for Physical Therapy degrees so we can help them out as much as we can. Seriously, if y'all see a special needs kid out somewhere, just stop for a second to talk to them. You might not think they understand, but they do. They love the attention & when they crack that smile you will understand & I promise you will even feel good yourself. They are all heart!!!!

Old Post 11-01-2014 02:25 PM
J. Langley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Langley Click here to Send J. Langley a Private Message Find more posts by J. Langley Add J. Langley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gene Raines
UKC Forum Member

Hey man. PT is fun and i enjoy what i do, but i don't know that i could work on my own kids sometimes. It would be hard mentally because the stretching stuff does not feel good at all. I have a lady now where i work that had the achilles cut for plantar tightness. Stretching just wasn't working. The big thing is when they are laying in bed they need some kind of progressive stretching boot so that don't tighten back down when they sleep. The stretching part after the release is tough but gotta be done. A slow prolonged stretch is always better than a fast quick stretch. Will help nothing. Good luck. He can do it but it will prob be a bit before he could possibly stand on them. Takes a bit too heal. That's a thick tendon!

Home of:

PKC Silver Champion $5000+ Won; (Never in a UKC hunt) GR CH 'PR' Raines' Trusty II AKA "Thunder" (Trusty X Ox Female(Callie))

Gone But Never Forgotten: PKC Silver Champion($5444 won); UKC GR. Nt. Ch. 'PR' Raines' Rockytop Kansas TRUSTY (3 Generation All Grand)

----

Old Post 11-01-2014 02:51 PM
Gene Raines is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gene Raines Click here to Send Gene Raines a Private Message Click Here to Email Gene Raines Find more posts by Gene Raines Add Gene Raines to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

I didn't know you were a PT!!!! Yeah I'm not real sure how they plan to treat Chris post-op. I know for Kaira they were wanting to do an adductor release in her legs to help with her scissoring. Her last X-rays showed her hip joints coming out a little, but she isn't in any pain yet. They were going to put her in a cast from her waist down to promote better healing. Not sure if we are going that route yet or not. We have to get her in first for a surgery to straighten out her little crooked eye lol. She just got approved for an eye gaze communication board & they said if it's fixed, less chance of an error on the board. It's always 1 thing right after another it seems like. That communication board is awesome though. It's going to open up a whole new world to Kaira & everyone involved with her. Her speech therapist just told us the other day that she wants Kaira in a regular classroom next year. Said she's a really bright little girl, & she's just trapped in a body that won't let her express herself. Sure wish there was a home remedy for CP lol.

Old Post 11-01-2014 03:54 PM
Gene Raines
UKC Forum Member

Yeah man you and a bunch of folks. My wife is an Occupational Therapist as well. CP is tough. The kids/people are usually intelligent, but like you said they are just trapped in there and no way to express themselves correctly. Those communication boards/computers are really nice and increase their abilities to communicate with everyone around them. Had a guy that had a stroke that that had the computer one. It would help him let us know the bathroom stuff, meals, and whatever else he needed. It was nice. THey get so frustrated because we have no idea what they want, but with that, it helps to keep them from getting frustrated.

You really have to watch the adductors, esp in girlies, because of the cleaning situation. They can and will get tighter and tighter and seems like overnight, you can't hardly help them clean after bathroom situations. She have an abductor wedge to use when laying down to maintain her range that she has?

Home of:

PKC Silver Champion $5000+ Won; (Never in a UKC hunt) GR CH 'PR' Raines' Trusty II AKA "Thunder" (Trusty X Ox Female(Callie))

Gone But Never Forgotten: PKC Silver Champion($5444 won); UKC GR. Nt. Ch. 'PR' Raines' Rockytop Kansas TRUSTY (3 Generation All Grand)

----

Old Post 11-03-2014 04:26 AM
Gene Raines is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gene Raines Click here to Send Gene Raines a Private Message Click Here to Email Gene Raines Find more posts by Gene Raines Add Gene Raines to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

Thats cool your wife is an OT too!!!! That was what i was originally going to go for, but the lack of schools put a stop to that. PT was hard enough to find a school for. The program im going through is a PTA program with a bridge school to PT. I have a year in already, but had to change schools for my PTA so I start back in March.

Yeah, Kaira has a wedge. You think we should try to let her sleep with it? Im hoping that her tone isnt to bad that we cant reverse it some without surgery, but she is pretty tight. Kaira is one of those hard ones to work with though. She is mix toned, high in the arms & legs, but low in the neck & trunk. Another thing that is weird about her is that some days her tone isnt that bad and other days you can't hardly move her arms and especially legs. Her fighting you for fun doesnt help either, lol. When you are trying to change her, put her in the car seat, or about anything as that goes she will stiffin up her back and arch. She knows she is keeping us from doing what we have to do, and she will just laugh her little butt off at you. She will quit laughing for a second and calm down like she is going to cooperate and then just arch again and start laughing even harder because she knows it aggrivates you lol.

She is on 3ml's of valium 2x a day and suppose to move up to 3x real soon. That is it for meds except a little prilosec & miralax. We tried Baclofen, but that was a major no go. It had a really bad adverse affect on her and actually tightened her up so bad that she was stiff as a board all over nonstop, was really twitchy, and cried or screamed all the time. It wasnt for her at all.

Let me know what you think on the wedge, and if you have any other ideas about how we might help her tone a little bit in her legs. Are you coming up here for kill season? I thought you said something about it while you were up for B&T days, but cant remember for sure.

Old Post 11-03-2014 02:32 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

YOu guys are AWESOME!

Hearing you all talk about the PT and OT etc.. brings back some long lost memories to me. I'll start off by saying I'm mildly brain injured now so I forget some stuff from my past but... I was a riding instructor and for a part of my career a Therapeutic riding instructor. If you all have access to GOOD therapeutic riding programs the passive stretching that happens when one sits on a horse/pony is GREAT stuff. I wont say more about it cause I actually forget so much.. I do know the kids and adults we worked with also LOVED the contact with the horses... of course I know I did.
Anyway... it was cool to read about you all getting so involved in PT and OT etc.. you are all angels in my book!
Continued prayers, Heather

Old Post 11-04-2014 01:10 AM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

We actually looked into the horse therapy for Kaira. There is a girl we know that is a lot like Kaira only older that did really well with it. Her dad said it was unreal how well it worked. When Kaira gets a little further along we plan on trying it out. I'm always open to new things & have actually been doing a lot of research on stem cell treatments here lately.

Old Post 11-04-2014 03:54 AM
Gene Raines
UKC Forum Member

My wife did some clinicals for that stuff while she was in school. She said she loved it and the kidos really did respond well to it. As far as the wedge goes, if she sleeps on her back and will let you put the wedge in, then yeah it will help with a slight progressive stretch. However, you want it where it is applying a slight light stretch for that long of a period of time. If it is too much of a stretch, she will 1) fight it, 2) not sleep well in it. If she rolls around in bed to her side, stomach, ect., it won't allow for much of that and she will hate it. Anyhow, yes it will prevent increased tightness, esp in the AM if she will allow it to stay in, but rest for her is also important. You know her better than I and it would be a trial any error.
Oh, and if you try it and she leaves it in place, when she gets up in the morning and you take it out, make sure it's not causing skin issues or redness that won't go away. Good luck.

Dunno about the hunt. Talked to Jordan the other day. I would love too, but just got back from WH, and have pro hunt next week. If work not horrible Friday, I may try to get up Sat or something. Take care man. See you guys soon.

Home of:

----

Old Post 11-05-2014 05:04 AM
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

Cool, thank a lot man.... I think she will tolerate it. She dont roll around hardly at all, and she fights sleep until the point she cant fight it no more. She dont want to miss anything so when she shuts down it dont matter what position she is in. She could be standing on her head and i think she'd fall asleep lol. Yeah if you can shoot up here saturday. Our weather is suppose to be decent this weekend. Steven Smith is coming up next week to go with me and it looks like its going to be pretty cold when he comes. Highs in the 30s lows in the low 20's. You could get here before that nasty cold weather gets here. Its a good time, hope you can make it. We tree a lot of coons those first few weeks. The ritual feast Cobles put on is pretty good too, opening night of kill season is a holiday in Coble country lol.

Old Post 11-05-2014 12:38 PM
Gene Raines
UKC Forum Member

LOL Sounds good! Thunder prob needs to chew on some of those furs before they skin and stretch them lol. Would fire him up for pro hunt the next weekend I'm sure. Them Cobles are something else. Jordan says he wants a female out of this x-cross I made with this crazy thing of mine.

Home of:

----

Old Post 11-06-2014 03:27 AM
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

What X cross did you make? I'm planning on trying it down the road if my little female makes it. I want to cross her on Harry Bawls

Old Post 11-17-2014 01:51 PM