UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Older folks and change
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Tyler,

Not sure how old you are but I'm guessing maybe early to mid 20's. Ever since I was a little kid I loved hanging with older folks that were hunters and fishermen. I'd sit spell bound for hours and listen to them tell what it was like hunting, fishing and trapping in the 1920's, 30's and 40's and into the early 50's. I learned a ton of stuff from these guys and a couple of them became the grandfathers I never knew. I think the up and coming generation of hound hunters faces many things we didn't have to.

1.) There is a whole lot less open land in many places to hunt than there once was. Either because of posting or development. Hear in the Northeastern US it was always understood if land wasn't posted you were welcome to hunt it. To some degree it stil is that way though I've found it a good practice to ask anyway these days. You younger folks are already finding it hard I'm sure in many areas.

2.) This generation of hunters was born into an age where you don't have to wait for much. If I want a Garmin system from DU Supply in WA State I can have it in NH by noon tomorrow if I call them by noon today. The quick pace of just about everything, to me anyways, robs one of much of the joy of hunting with hounds.

3.) Technology. It's both a blessing and a curse. Most are familiar with the blessing part. The curse is the way it can be and is at times, misused. People post up images and videos of things that may be a part of hunting but have no business being posted up for world viewing. I was taught as a hunter, fisherman and trapper that you respected the game you pursued. There is a dignity to our hunting sports that has degenerated more than it should have over the last generation. Some of that is on my generation as well. What many fail to realize is that when distasteful photos and videos are posted for the public to see they lump us all into the same boat. Those who make these distasteful postings are just giving the anti's ammunition to make their case against the sports and way of life we all enjoy so much.

Sorry, probably rambled more than you'd like! Kudos to you and your generation who love the sport and may you be given wisdom as you travel through your days enjoying it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-17-2019 02:38 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Old or young there is enough room for everyone!

Old Post 07-17-2019 02:46 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike fleming
UKC Forum Member

Technology has not only affected coonhunting it has also affected Families its not suppose to be that way .You go in resturants and look around and they are not talking together they are all off in another world looking at there phone all setting at the same table worried about what they are missing out on.I know they are all seeing what Tar is gonna say next.

Old Post 07-17-2019 11:35 PM
mike fleming is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike fleming Click here to Send mike fleming a Private Message Find more posts by mike fleming Add mike fleming to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

I learned everything I know about dogs and coonhunting from the older generation hunters. I believe it made me a better coonhunter in many ways. I very grateful for them taking the time to teach me and have patience.

But as a young guy I support the changes. Sometimes change is good. Are sport is suffering. Alot is because theres not very many older guys left. The world is a different and cruel place now.

I think if everyone works together threw trail and iam sure some errors to come. It could be good.

I know we are waiting to see what all happens. Me and dad have talked about starting the club back up.

I have his knowledge of the way things are run rules and paperwork wise.

And my ideas to try to get more attendance at hunts.

I would like to really get involved with the youth side of things. And hopefully a big benefit hunt in memory of my grandfather with alot of payback to the youth hunters and hunters.

I would like to see some of the old stuff come back. I miss the buddy hunts. I won my very first one in Wilson Oklahoma with a really good friend of my grandfathers when i was about 8. You would have thought I had won a world title. Never will forget it.

It will take time but I have been brainstorming all this for along time.

UKC the hunters are talking. I hope for the sake of coonhunting with UKC yall are listening.

Last edited by Hittman on 07-18-2019 at 12:24 AM

Old Post 07-18-2019 12:21 AM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

When I was a young man I read all the hunting magazines I could get my hands on and really liked the monthly dog columns which were usually 1 page maybe two pages in the whole magazine...I also hunted alone with my pack of mutts and was a dog boy through and through...I learned much of what I know on my own and those few articles per month...as I started working I bought the dog magazines and spent quite a bit of money on that and as mentioned on another thread spent as much as my monthly house payment on phone calls talking dogs...

Now the young generation and old have these forums where we can share learning and we all are better dogmen and dogwomen for it...

What has taken years for the older generations to learn the younger generations can learn in a matter of months if they are truly dog folks...

What I have noticed is some old guys mention something rather unusual and in a month or two many of the younger folks are speaking the same language...the modern times brings some great technology...even us old guys learn on the forum...this is really an awesome site...

Old Post 07-18-2019 01:23 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

Well spoken, one thing to remember is that a lot if what we take for granted is not common knowledge. Sharing our experiences and knowledge with each other is a wonderful thing. We are never to old to learn something new. Most of us had older mentors when we started hunting that taught us a lot, made our experiences so much better. Now we are the ones that should be passing our knowledge on to the younger guys. Dave

Old Post 07-18-2019 02:48 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote