UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > breed ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fred bear
UKC Forum Member

breed ?

why do you guys hunt the breed of dogs you do.
my buddy has blue dogs and is adiment that he wont have nothing but blue dogs and plotts and his buddy shannon hunts black dogs and had a walker and doesnt care what it is as long as it hunts. i am looking at getting my first dog and shure do like his blue dogs as they do a nice job and are easy to handle.
but it seems like i would have a easyier time finding a young started walker dog and cheeper to

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-2014 08:29 PM
fred bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fred bear Click here to Send fred bear a Private Message Find more posts by fred bear Add fred bear to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Vondo
UKC Forum Member

I hunt walkers, mainly because that's what the old man hunted. Also had good luck with them

Old Post 03-05-2014 08:59 PM
Wes Vondo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Vondo Click here to Send Wes Vondo a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Vondo Find more posts by Wes Vondo Add Wes Vondo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

Since no one else has, I'll give my opinion.

If I was young and starting out, I'd look for an older dog. Not a world beater, but an old dog who can tree a few coon and something you can hunt pups with. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive, just something you can hunt with your buddies and have fun with. Just starting out its hard to start with a young dog or pups. I know everyone wants to go that way, but it's not an easy road. Right now you'd have more fun with an older cooner that will tree a few so you can hunt with your buddies. There is always time for a young dog or pup in the future. An old dog will teach you a lot about the sport before you even realize it.

As far as breed, that's a personal preference. For your first, unless you're just 100% set on one breed, I'd be open to anything right now. It also depends on what guys in your area hunt. If there are 50 guys hunting Walkers and 1 guy hunting Redbones, you have a better chance of finding a decent older dog or even pup that is a Walker. Once you've been hunting a while you'll get to hunt with different breeds and see ones you like and some you don't and you'll be better able to make a choice. An older gentleman told me something a long time ago that really stuck. He said hunt a breed of dog you like the looks of. Life is too short to hunt an ugly dog. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. You're going to find good and bad in every breed, you might as well find the good in the dog you like the looks of best.

Good luck in your journey bud. You'll make a ton of friends in this sport and have a good time!

Old Post 03-05-2014 09:26 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Walker all the way. Why? I guess because my dad hunted walkers and thats all i know. I do know they come in all sizes and colors. Its really about what you like. Your right their are alot more walkers than blue dogs. Thats because alot more people want a winner. Lol

Old Post 03-05-2014 11:27 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wrangler
UKC Forum Member

My first hound was a English redtick. Since that first dog I've owned several dogs of every hound breed. But I keep going back to English or bluetick. They seem to tree me more coon. Ive had other breed s that seem to have to much tree in them an tend to pull up short. This is just my thinking I know you'll find good in every breed. Just pick the flavor you like and feed it coon tracks.

Old Post 03-06-2014 01:22 AM
wrangler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wrangler Click here to Send wrangler a Private Message Click Here to Email wrangler Find more posts by wrangler Add wrangler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

To quote the post above..."just pick he flavor you like and feed it coon tracks"

This is totally true. Let me say it another way; a lot of coon hunters will swear by one breed or another. Over time one breed may become more "popular" than others. In example, English dogs have enjoyed quite a following lately. But the fact of the matter is this...if you had a dog that did just about everything right of each breed and colored them all purple anyone that likes coon hunting would be glad to have any one of those dogs and if the color wore off a month later I bet they wouldn't get rid of that dog because he didn't turn out to be the color of preference!!!

Here's another way of saying it even simpler...if one breed was better than another there would quickly be only on breed of coonhound. Nobody would want anything else, and why would they??? If you knew your current favorite breed would always be outdone by the "better" one how much longer would you hang on to the loser??? That of course is not the case and that is why the above post is so true. Good luck.

Old Post 03-06-2014 01:52 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B.Carnes
UKC Forum Member

I hunt englishand the reason i do is because of one female, she was not my 1st dog she was my 2nd, the 1st one was a walker pup i got her not long after i got him, didn't keep him long. She was 100% coondog (meat dog) by far one of the best dog i ever tied in my yard, I raised one out of her that was just as good, but she made me an english man. I have never looked back or at any other breed. She was 2 when i got her she died at my house when she was 13 and thats been 11 years ago.

Now with that being said I agree with Paul pups can be tuff starting out, you will have more fun with an older trained dog. I hunted her for awhile then moved in to raising pups through the help of an older hunter, a mentor that taught me how to train a pup , it made it more enjoyable to mess with pups. Thats been 20 years ago and now i find my self filling the mentor role.

The thing is find what breed suits you and hunt and most of all have fun doing it. There's good ones in all breeds.

Old Post 03-06-2014 02:43 AM
B.Carnes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B.Carnes Click here to Send B.Carnes a Private Message Find more posts by B.Carnes Add B.Carnes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevenbry86
UKC Forum Member

I agree with the old dog i started out with a pup and gosh it was alot of nites coming home with nothing at all it wasnt much fun i wish i woulda went a different route but i learned alot and me and that pup learned how to hunt coon together....as far as a breed i hunt blue dogs but i wont mouth the other breeds theres good and bad in them all i just prefer to hunt them good luck and dont let all the bad nites of coon huntin get u down!

Old Post 03-06-2014 03:15 AM
stevenbry86 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevenbry86 Click here to Send stevenbry86 a Private Message Find more posts by stevenbry86 Add stevenbry86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ky Show Girl
UKC Forum Member

its always been simple math to me ever time i open up book
there is another 1 winning.

Old Post 03-06-2014 03:19 AM
Ky Show Girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ky Show Girl Click here to Send Ky Show Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Ky Show Girl Add Ky Show Girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackwater Pete
UKC Forum Member

I like B&T cause there aint many around and when I win with one it just makes it better.And they are more eye appealing to me than the other breeds.

Proud member of PKC
Jason Denzer

Old Post 03-06-2014 02:20 PM
Blackwater Pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwater Pete Click here to Send Blackwater Pete a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackwater Pete Find more posts by Blackwater Pete Add Blackwater Pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fatboy77
UKC Forum Member

like i tell you all the time get what makes you happy you have hunted with ellie and stream you also hunted with cooter and eragon and some others inbetween get what makes you happy and the color doesnt matter for me though i like my blue dogs i think they look sharp and just what i have had the best luck with. and as long as we hunt togetther dont worry there will always be a blue dog to lead the way

NCh PR KRAUSES NORTHWOOD timber diva
2nd place nitech heartland classic friday nite 500+

Tim & Laura Krause

Old Post 03-07-2014 02:49 AM
fatboy77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatboy77 Click here to Send fatboy77 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatboy77 Find more posts by fatboy77 Add fatboy77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Reese
UKC Forum Member

Look for an old dog. Find somethig that you really like that you feel like you will enjoy. As far as breed goes don't be too picky starting off. Hunted with them all and there's good and bad in each. Just some more drastic than others. Good luck!

GRNITECH CH 'PR' HIGH X-PECTATIONS
(NUMBER 10 CURRENT REPRODUCER, 2008 KY STATECH)
HAVE SEMEN

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' BIG JANICE
(WLDNITECH PCH BIG D x WLDNITECH JANICE JOPLIN)

GRNITECH 'PR' HARRY'S STYLISH FRANNIE

GRNITECH 'PR' INSANE BELLA

NITECH 'PR' LEGENDS STYLISH SHENA

NITECH 'PR' INSANE PLAIN JANE (2019 WORLD QUALIFIED, $ WON)

Breeder and Trainer of Belgian Malinois
828-577-6167

Old Post 03-07-2014 03:35 AM
Hunter Reese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Reese Click here to Send Hunter Reese a Private Message Find more posts by Hunter Reese Add Hunter Reese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote