UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Split Treed Hounds in a UKC hunt
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Split Treed Hounds in a UKC hunt

Dog A is treed dog b trees and sounds like theyre on same tree but end up being aplit treed. Do the dogs have to be declared split treed before seeing the dogs are split treed? You aren't allowed to watch your garmin the whole hunt so if dogs are just 2 or 3 trees apart how can you tell they're on separate trees?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-27-2024 07:25 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

no

The answer is no but you can look at the garmin any and all the time.

Old Post 03-27-2024 07:43 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

No, trees should be scored separately after seeing dogs are split. Dog A scored first then Dog B. 125 (plus, minus, or circle) for each. You can't tell the judge your dog is split treed based on what the Garmin shows bc you can't use the Garmin for scoring purposes. This is my interpretation of the rules, anyway...

Old Post 03-27-2024 08:26 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

They would "hold" the position they were called for (1st Tree, 2nd Tree) UNTIL they are determined to be split. No need to call a dog you are handling split in this scenario (or any IMO)

Once these dogs are determined to be split, the dog that treed in for 2nd would receive a first tree position.

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 03-28-2024 at 02:54 PM

Old Post 03-28-2024 02:51 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

What would be the reason to call a dog split treed from 500 yards when you're going to find out in 10 minutes?

Old Post 03-28-2024 04:45 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
What would be the reason to call a dog split treed from 500 yards when you're going to find out in 10 minutes?

A trouble maker could use that situation to say your dog moved to his.

Old Post 03-29-2024 06:57 PM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rockyford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coonbone

I mean if a guy wants to declare his dog split when you are a ways from them, don’t you have to take it as split? I’m not sure why anyone would because now with ukc tree rule you will take a huge minus if he isn’t split

Old Post 03-30-2024 04:23 AM
Rockyford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rockyford Click here to Send Rockyford a Private Message Click Here to Email Rockyford Find more posts by Rockyford Add Rockyford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coonbone
It doesn't take a trouble maker. If you declare your dog split and he's not, you've created your own trouble.

Old Post 03-30-2024 03:24 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TN Quick Check
UKC Forum Member

There are a few reasons for it. 1 a good handler always knows his/her score. If at the end of the hunt I have to have a 1st tree to win I will declare my dog split treed and keep telling pointing out my dog to the judge to the left, the right or deeper. If at any point the other dogs shut up and mine is still treeing that works in my favor. Now if they began treeing again and they are with mine it becomes a call on rather those dogs did in fact move to mine or they were together from the start. If I would have just treed in and not declared split, there is no way i'm going to get the call that the other dogs moved to mine. The 2nd reason I have hunted a few dogs with no mouth. I had a 1st and 1st dog that would get tired of backpackers so he would pull up and throw 2 nice locates to draw the pack to that tree. They would pile on and he would sink in about 50 yrds deeper with the coon. I would have to say over and over my dog was deeper. They would shine the backpackers tree's with nothing in it, mine would have the coon. It would only take a few times of this before the backpack handlers would start trying to get my dog minus saying he was treed with them and left. On the other hand if i'm winning and you need a split to win you are going in as you are on the same tree unless it is obvious. You don't have to declare a split tree if you wait till the tree is closed to tree. You are in as split regardless.

Old Post 04-01-2024 05:42 PM
TN Quick Check is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TN Quick Check Click here to Send TN Quick Check a Private Message Click Here to Email TN Quick Check Find more posts by TN Quick Check Add TN Quick Check to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote