UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mentally Disturbed.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mentally Disturbed.

There must be some deep rooted mental problems for someone to continue to coonhunt. Yes when your young as I was once. It was exciting. Always something new. Always a different issue to work on with your dog. Always a new hunting spot to find. Always a competition hunt to go to.

But after many years and looking at the results. Logically it just doesn't make sense. Then you close your eyes and dream. The dreams block out what the mirror shows. The dreams make the problems with the dogs fixable. The aches and pains go away.

Kind of like at the end of the night and you make. Just one more turnout. How did that work for you. The same thing is played over and over again as you age. Just one more year or just one more dog. Kind of turns out like the "one more turnout' at the end of the night.

But all that is soon forgotten and your looking for it to get dark again. Call me Crazy. LOL

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-19-2021 at 02:49 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-19-2021 02:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3Rivers
UKC Forum Member

Well I must be Crazy

Because I’m 47 now and just getting in to this wonderful sport, in fact just brought my first new pup home from Missouri. Here is just how crazy I am, I’m green as the color is and I will train her to the best of my abilities. But I do pick a lot of old heads also, read a lot also, but I want this challenge and by golly I’m itching for it. So tell me I’m Crazy and wish me good times and bad Lol. Bruce I like that what you wrote because it lets me know that the ride I’m starting up is gonna be a fun and wild!

Old Post 05-19-2021 02:53 PM
3Rivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3Rivers Click here to Send 3Rivers a Private Message Click Here to Email 3Rivers Find more posts by 3Rivers Add 3Rivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I'm with ya Bruce. Deeply disturbed.

Old Post 05-19-2021 03:01 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce you and I are the same age and there are days and nights when I think I'll just give it up. Wonder how many of these hollers I can get across? How bad will feet hurt in the morning? But I just bought a dog that treed 4 singles the night I tried him. Hasn't looked that good since and I am determined to get him right. He has the talent. So like always quitting is at least 6 months away. Used to pick cotton with an old man that whenever we would want to quit he would say "One more round and then". Guess that's how I look at coon hunting. And yes I am mentally challenged!

Old Post 05-19-2021 04:02 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

That one more turnout thing is a killer. Seems like 85% of the time that “one more” usually means crawling into bed just before it’s time to go to work! Oh yeah………the other one is just one more dog………. You don’t have to be insane to have hounds but it does help a bit!🤭

Last edited by DL NH on 05-19-2021 at 05:44 PM

Old Post 05-19-2021 05:40 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Only 85 % 👏wow that must be nice 😆

Old Post 05-19-2021 05:46 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
abshire
UKC Forum Member

How bout the one's us that quit for awhile and come back to this sport? We must be really crazy!!

I raised two wonderful girls and now I'm back at it!! Looking forward to a gran baby to corrupt, I love it and don't know why!!

Old Post 05-19-2021 10:05 PM
abshire is offline Click Here to See the Profile for abshire Click here to Send abshire a Private Message Click Here to Email abshire Find more posts by abshire Add abshire to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'll be 78 next month and I'm not a bit saner than I was years ago. I still try to get out 2 or 3 nights a week. I just made one of my females a Nite Champion. I know that's not a big deal to a lot of you, but try it when you're half-blind and three-quarters deaf.

Old Post 05-19-2021 11:47 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I'll be 78 next month and I'm not a bit saner than I was years ago. I still try to get out 2 or 3 nights a week. I just made one of my females a Nite Champion. I know that's not a big deal to a lot of you, but try it when you're half-blind and three-quarters deaf.

I feel your pain my friend, but I still love coon hunting. Some have said that it is not a hobby, but a way of life and I agree 100 percent. Happy hunting. Dave

Old Post 05-20-2021 02:30 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

I think it's awesome. Hats off to you. I'm 52 and feeling it I can't imagine still being able 25 years from now.

Old Post 05-20-2021 02:31 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A hinnen
New UKC Forum Member

If this is mentally disturbed I'll take it! Pretty hard to beat a night out with your best friend. Lol!

Old Post 05-20-2021 03:11 AM
A hinnen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A hinnen Click here to Send A hinnen a Private Message Click Here to Email A hinnen Find more posts by A hinnen Add A hinnen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Mentally ill

I too am messed up in the head. I’m still a young man at 35. I was born into a family of Coonhunters coming from two generations. About the time I was 18-20 years old me and dad were so wide open running the $kc hunts we ran it in the ground trying to keep that money won. Had a once in a lifetime young dog die and it was an easy time to take a break. After 10 years I started back 3 years ago for some reason lol. I had sold everything but the bridle so to speak. All I had when I started back was a wildlife tracking system and some frozen semen from our old dog.
My granddaddy said there was only one way to quit this game.
Sell everything you own and STAY away from Coonhunters!

Old Post 05-20-2021 03:13 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

My Dad told me over 40 years ago he thought this hound thing was an addiction for me. Now I know there wasn’t a word of truth to that. I can quit any time I want ………….just haven’t wanted to yet!!

Old Post 05-20-2021 03:26 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by abshire
How bout the one's us that quit for awhile and come back to this sport? We must be really crazy!!

I raised two wonderful girls and now I'm back at it!! Looking forward to a gran baby to corrupt, I love it and don't know why!!

Good for you! That's where I was .... Loved coon hunting all my life. Got out of it when raising my boys took up the most of my time. I went ten years without a hound. Then about four years ago I got back into it. I've enjoyed it even more this go around.

Old Post 05-20-2021 03:43 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mentally Disturbed.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
There must be some deep rooted mental problems for someone to continue to coonhunt. Yes when your young as I was once. It was exciting. Always something new. Always a different issue to work on with your dog. Always a new hunting spot to find. Always a competition hunt to go to.

But after many years and looking at the results. Logically it just doesn't make sense. Then you close your eyes and dream. The dreams block out what the mirror shows. The dreams make the problems with the dogs fixable. The aches and pains go away.

Kind of like at the end of the night and you make. Just one more turnout. How did that work for you. The same thing is played over and over again as you age. Just one more year or just one more dog. Kind of turns out like the "one more turnout' at the end of the night.

But all that is soon forgotten and your looking for it to get dark again. Call me Crazy. LOL

😁😁😁😂
Bruce.......I know Exactly what you are talking about...!!
Its a 2 Stage Mental Disorder though.......the 1st Stage is when you do it for so long and then quit......The 2nd Stage and the worse form of it is when you get back into it......thats when people know there is No Hope for you......🤣
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 05-20-2021 11:42 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mentally Disturbed.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

I agree with you Mr. Conley, but we all have different reasons for staying in it. I took my dogs to college when I went to KSU even though they were mediocre at best and finances were tight as i worked my way through college.
I could not afford to go to competition hunts when younger because i was raising a family. Now I'm too old to effectively compete.
In 2018 while at a Zone hunt I experienced the effects of a judge using the rules to personally eliminate competition and I quit going to hunts for a while. Then a man who I had stood up for at his first competition hunt and kept him from bring taken advantage of had his 3 year old Son call me Mr. Risley.
I'ved been going to hunts again just to do my part and set an example. At a recent hunt I enjoyed the little kids coming up to tell me about their dogs more than winning.
But the main reason that I hunt all week long is because I enjoy the companionship of a dog doing their best for a pat on the head. It nice to be looked up to even it is by a dog!
As ever. Ken Risley

Old Post 05-23-2021 04:03 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Williams
UKC Forum Member

Well I guess thats my problem. I coon hunted very hard for most of my life. 6 nights a week till about 50 or so. Then slowed down to 3 or 4 nights. Set trot lines for catfish and turtles a lot too. After having tick fever 2 years ago, I feel like I'm washed up. Thinking about selling my dogs, can't decide. I have a really nice young redbone that is turning the crank and very easy to handle. All I have to do is turn him loose and go get him. Nicest pup I've had in years. Have 2 pups about 4 weeks old that are out of real good stock. Hate not being able to train them. I think I'm mentally disturbed badly. Plus I have to drive 50 to 70 miles one way to hunt now. Doesn't make since does it?

Old Post 05-25-2021 03:17 PM
Randy Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Williams Click here to Send Randy Williams a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Williams Find more posts by Randy Williams Add Randy Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Our woods are drying up real fast now. Usually a lot of swamps, most trails covered in some water. Well things are drying up real fast. Last night I was going down a buggy trail and the first spot of water I came to had 3 cotton mouths in it and the next one 20 foot away had one. Took care of them and moved on. LOL But I did go buy a JUDGE pistol the first thing this morning because in the woods in a tight spot a 22 rifle is not as effective.

Here come the Judge!

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-25-2021 at 07:31 PM

Old Post 05-25-2021 06:52 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

I learned an expression from a coon hunter not long ago: There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness. And once you've been bitten by this bug, it's gonna itch for a long, long time.

I'm one of the ones with no hope (Phase 2 lol), but I just missed having a hound. When I sold out, I justified it by saying I'll have more time to do X, Y, and Z now...but when doing X, Y, and Z, I was thinking about hounds. Now I'm back to scratching that itch and having a ball doing it.

Old Post 05-25-2021 08:33 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

At 73 I'm old, my dogs are old and my truck is old. My old plott is 12 yrs old but still likes to walk along. So I take her and will continue to take her. It's the least I can do for her since she entertained me for all those years. I have a red tick that's 9 and a cur that's 8. I worry if I get a young dog it might outlive me and there is no one to care for it. But I'm still going 2 or 3 times a week. Treeing game isn't so important now but seeing my dogs enjoy the wilderness is.

Old Post 05-26-2021 06:22 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

At 73 I'm old, my dogs are old and my truck is old. My old plott is 12 yrs old but still likes to walk along. So I take her and will continue to take her. It's the least I can do for her since she entertained me for all those years. I have a red tick that's 9 and a cur that's 8. I worry if I get a young dog it might outlive me and there is no one to care for it. But I'm still going 2 or 3 times a week. Treeing game isn't so important now but seeing my dogs enjoy the wilderness is.

Old Post 05-26-2021 06:22 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

croatankid you summed up my position. Hunted my 10 year old last week. I will say the time before that he kind of half way hunted the way he did when he was 5. But last week you would have thought he was 5 again. He enjoyed it and I enjoyed it. It is starting to get hot down here fast. A couple more weeks and I will only be hunting him in the early morning.

Old Post 05-27-2021 01:02 PM
D Brothers
UKC Forum Member

I am 71 yrs young , I still hunt 5 nights a week never get tired of it, every night is a new experience, I still competition hunt i have a 2yr old and and an 8 month old just starting her, I walk these hills every night I could drive some what closer, but I choose to walk keeps me in shape! I dread it when I have to walk to my last tree. Just like a dog with a big heart it will go till it can"t anymore.

Old Post 05-27-2021 04:18 PM
D Brothers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Brothers Click here to Send D Brothers a Private Message Click Here to Email D Brothers Find more posts by D Brothers Add D Brothers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

d. brother, that's me, as far as keeping at it. even though my dogs no longer hunt well, they were never real good, I will walk a trail just to get in some steps.

Old Post 05-27-2021 08:38 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

When you get past 70 it's hard to hunt one the way we did years ago.

Old Post 05-27-2021 09:01 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote