UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > 17 yr cicada ( locusts )
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

Cicada 's =Great fish bait !!!

Here in Mo. the cicada's are so plentiful in the timber with their buzzing You can't hear Yourself think !! Many people incorrectly call them locusts.Here in the Ozarks We call them Buzz Bugs . LoL I know they make good fish bait ! Lots of critters eat them ,I would bet coons do too. Anybody know anything more about them ? Are they all over the U.S. or just here in the midwest ?

Last edited by stonehill on 06-07-2011 at 01:15 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-31-2011 06:46 PM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jon Millwood
UKC Forum Member

When we had tornados a few weeks ago here in Ga we had the same problem. It makes you almost crazy. The sound was almost unbearable.. In the evenings right before dark was the worse

Old Post 05-31-2011 06:51 PM
Jon Millwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jon Millwood Click here to Send Jon Millwood a Private Message Find more posts by Jon Millwood Add Jon Millwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Sawney
UKC Forum Member

We got em here!

Old Post 05-31-2011 07:24 PM
Travis Sawney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Sawney Click here to Send Travis Sawney a Private Message Find more posts by Travis Sawney Add Travis Sawney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brady8687
UKC Forum Member

My boys pick thier shells off the trees,and tease the girls.

Old Post 05-31-2011 07:40 PM
brady8687 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brady8687 Click here to Send brady8687 a Private Message Click Here to Email brady8687 Find more posts by brady8687 Add brady8687 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahinsch
UKC Forum Member

We have them in Ohio but they haven't started buzzing yet. I remember a few years ago they were really really loud and seemes to be way more than in other years, they said those were the 17 year cicadas, are the ones we have on normal years a different species or are there some that are just on a different schedule?

Old Post 05-31-2011 10:27 PM
ahinsch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahinsch Click here to Send ahinsch a Private Message Click Here to Email ahinsch Find more posts by ahinsch Add ahinsch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildbill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ahinsch
We have them in Ohio but they haven't started buzzing yet. I remember a few years ago they were really really loud and seemes to be way more than in other years, they said those were the 17 year cicadas, are the ones we have on normal years a different species or are there some that are just on a different schedule?

i think with all the rain we've had ,it done flushed them all out of the ground and if we're lucky now we wont have to hear them for another 17 yrs. after this yr

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Old Post 05-31-2011 10:52 PM
wildbill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill Click here to Send wildbill a Private Message Click Here to Email wildbill Visit wildbill's homepage! Find more posts by wildbill Add wildbill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

"Buzz Bugs"

Andrew , the biggest visable difference is the 17 yr "Buzz Bugs" have red eyes ! Anybody else have more info. ?

Last edited by stonehill on 06-01-2011 at 10:56 AM

Old Post 05-31-2011 11:26 PM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

This is the first time I ever saw them. Their bigger than I thought. Man were they ever loud too.

Old Post 06-01-2011 12:19 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rscott
UKC Forum Member

Just start'n too buzzzzzzz here in east central Ill.........

Old Post 06-01-2011 02:39 AM
rscott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rscott Click here to Send rscott a Private Message Find more posts by rscott Add rscott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
get rythym
UKC Forum Member

been buzzin here in east tennessee for about 4 weeks now or a lil longer

Old Post 06-01-2011 02:53 AM
get rythym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for get rythym Click here to Send get rythym a Private Message Click Here to Email get rythym Find more posts by get rythym Add get rythym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

17 Year Locusts

We last had them in 1999. They will make the ground look like swiss cheese. And, if you're riding a tractor, they will fly right at you. You'll have to swat them away.

Old Post 06-01-2011 03:30 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blake jones
UKC Forum Member

they have been flying here in ms for a few weeks. I think I heard the news say they were 13 year locust instead of the 17 year. they do make a lot of noise. I thought the neighbors swiming pool pump had gone crazy.

Old Post 06-01-2011 04:28 AM
blake jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blake jones Click here to Send blake jones a Private Message Click Here to Email blake jones Find more posts by blake jones Add blake jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kris Cisna
UKC Forum Member

Yeah they are nuts here in Illinois. I left my winders down for 2 days and they are everywhere!! The dogs water bowl seems to hold them minutes after I refill it.
I too thought about fishing with them. Might have to try this weekend and see what bites.

Old Post 06-01-2011 04:36 AM
Kris Cisna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kris Cisna Click here to Send Kris Cisna a Private Message Click Here to Email Kris Cisna Find more posts by Kris Cisna Add Kris Cisna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

"Buzz Bugs"

I just got in from fishing , I caught 3 nice channel catfish ,one bullhead catfish on buzz bugs I also used nightcrawlers and only caught 1 perch on them. People next to Me were useing chicken livers and caught nothing ! Anybody else out there useing them ? What have You caught ?

Old Post 06-01-2011 10:34 AM
coon dawwg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Millwood
When we had tornados a few weeks ago here in Ga we had the same problem. It makes you almost crazy. The sound was almost unbearable.. In the evenings right before dark was the worse
......yeah, Jon..............I thought it was bad around the house, but I drove down to Washington GA to get some tractor parts.....I swear, you couldn't hear yourself think!!...LOL

Old Post 06-01-2011 12:00 PM
coon dawwg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawwg Click here to Send coon dawwg a Private Message Click Here to Email coon dawwg Find more posts by coon dawwg Add coon dawwg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

More info. on Cicadas wanted

Are cicadas other places too,and We just haven't heard from You yet ?? Lots of people here in Ozarks call them Buzz Bugs , do they have other nicknames from Your area ? Locusts really shouldn't count because that is not a nickname ,instead it is just calling them something they aren't. I have even heard them called katydid's , which is something like locusts but they aren't that either.

Old Post 06-01-2011 08:43 PM
l.lyle
Banned

It is rare to hear one here in the lower Coastal plain but they are thick on the Ridge and Piedmont sections.

Old Post 06-01-2011 08:52 PM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbred
UKC Forum Member

We have them here and in sc too

Old Post 06-01-2011 08:52 PM
coonbred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbred Click here to Send coonbred a Private Message Visit coonbred's homepage! Find more posts by coonbred Add coonbred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricky L Hovis
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone seen them in NC? I personally have not, or at least I didn't know what they were.

Old Post 06-01-2011 09:44 PM
Ricky L Hovis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricky L Hovis Click here to Send Ricky L Hovis a Private Message Click Here to Email Ricky L Hovis Visit Ricky L Hovis's homepage! Find more posts by Ricky L Hovis Add Ricky L Hovis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

If you had them you would know. An old tale is you can take a shell you find on the side of a tree and crunch it up and put it in the dog's feed, "It'll make him stick to the tree".

Old Post 06-01-2011 11:00 PM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
. An old tale is you can take a shell you find on the side of a tree and crunch it up and put it in the dog's feed, "It'll make him stick to the tree".
It May make them stick to the tree , but who could stand that Buzzzzzzzzzzz-Buzzzzzzzzzzzz-Buzzzzzzzzzzz for a tree barker !!!!!

Old Post 06-02-2011 03:59 AM
bruce hammontre
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 06-02-2011 10:55 PM
bruce hammontre is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bruce hammontre Click here to Send bruce hammontre a Private Message Click Here to Email bruce hammontre Find more posts by bruce hammontre Add bruce hammontre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

thanks for pic. Bruce I wanted to post one but don't know how.

Old Post 06-03-2011 12:00 AM
jason554
UKC Forum Member

We had them several years ago. The best year of fishing I've had. I caught everything from bluegill to musky and never bought bait just picked them
Off the trees on my way to the water

Old Post 06-03-2011 12:05 AM
jason554 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jason554 Click here to Send jason554 a Private Message Click Here to Email jason554 Find more posts by jason554 Add jason554 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patchhounder
UKC Forum Member

I had a female that just absolutely loved eating them. She ate so many lots of time she wouldn't even eat her feed.

JOSH

Old Post 06-03-2011 01:28 AM
patchhounder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patchhounder Click here to Send patchhounder a Private Message Click Here to Email patchhounder Find more posts by patchhounder Add patchhounder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote