UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > 17 yr cicada ( locusts )
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bruce hammontre
UKC Forum Member

They are actually pretty cool looking!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-03-2011 04:51 AM
bruce hammontre is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bruce hammontre Click here to Send bruce hammontre a Private Message Click Here to Email bruce hammontre Find more posts by bruce hammontre Add bruce hammontre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

Best fishbait !!

Once again cicada's were the best bait on the fishing trip !!! We went fishing in Osage River last night used nightcrawlers,cut shad,and live cicadas.Nearly every thing WE caught was on cicadas.Anybody else useing these "Buzz Bugs"?

Old Post 06-07-2011 01:27 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Re: More info. on Cicadas wanted

quote:
Originally posted by stonehill
Are cicadas other places too,and We just haven't heard from You yet ?? Lots of people here in Ozarks call them Buzz Bugs , do they have other nicknames from Your area ? Locusts really shouldn't count because that is not a nickname ,instead it is just calling them something they aren't. I have even heard them called katydid's , which is something like locusts but they aren't that either.
Some old timers back in the hills of WVa called them Jar Flies ,,,man these rascals are noisy .

Old Post 07-12-2012 02:38 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SMH
UKC Forum Member

We've always called them jarflys

Old Post 07-12-2012 05:36 PM
SMH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SMH Click here to Send SMH a Private Message Click Here to Email SMH Find more posts by SMH Add SMH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I seen a big dead un just this week. His hull anyhow. Your supposed to count so many days after hearing the first and it will put you right about the first frost. I think its 3 months. If thats right. We gonna have a mid sept frost this yr lol.. Maybe its 4 months. Yall know?

Old Post 07-12-2012 05:45 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timgreuel
UKC Forum Member

o

Ninety days to frost is what the old timers always say in Wisconsin

Old Post 07-12-2012 09:12 PM
timgreuel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timgreuel Click here to Send timgreuel a Private Message Find more posts by timgreuel Add timgreuel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

That's good. Id like to see it frost in Sept here

Old Post 07-12-2012 09:21 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
calblu
UKC Forum Member

I don't know how anyone can stand that racket out here....that and these dang owls! Thought something was being killed the first time I heard one of these whatever kind of owls they are.

Dennis, I've never heard a cicada out west, but I don't know what the farthest west is that they live. I was just telling Tiny the other day, there are probably a lot of people who've never *not* had to listen to that noise all summer.

Don't take life too seriously -- nobody gets out alive!

Old Post 07-13-2012 06:05 AM
calblu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for calblu Click here to Send calblu a Private Message Click Here to Email calblu Visit calblu's homepage! Find more posts by calblu Add calblu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
That's good. Id like to see it frost in Sept here

Me too. And then stay cold and starve these gators to death.LOL. But the survivers would come out in force in March and eat any dog in hearing so its probably a "no win" for me.

Last edited by l.lyle on 07-13-2012 at 06:32 AM

Old Post 07-13-2012 06:28 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

Why is it a 17 year cycle? I must have missed that part!

Old Post 07-13-2012 06:55 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
Why is it a 17 year cycle? I must have missed that part!

17 years doesn,t seem to correspond to AL Gores Carbon sequenstration. Cycle. Maybe the Old Timers were riding a Bi Cycle. LOL Accoding to Gore.

Old Post 07-13-2012 07:01 AM
Cody Carroll
UKC Forum Member

I might be wrong but I think there are different types that come out in different year intervals. We had them about 6-7 years ago in east Tennessee and the news said it was 7 year cicadas. They had about 4 types on their report all with different increments

proud member of the United States Navy Submarine Force

Former home of:
GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Hardwood Ontime Abby

Old Post 07-13-2012 10:09 AM
Cody Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cody Carroll Click here to Send Cody Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email Cody Carroll Find more posts by Cody Carroll Add Cody Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMeeks_B&T
UKC Forum Member

This will explain the cycles some:

http://www.gardenersnet.com/atoz/cicada.htm

'PR' Designer Pretty N Pink (Ruby)

Old Post 07-13-2012 12:55 PM
DMeeks_B&T is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMeeks_B&T Click here to Send DMeeks_B&T a Private Message Click Here to Email DMeeks_B&T Find more posts by DMeeks_B&T Add DMeeks_B&T to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Cicadas brood X 17 year IL 2021

Our 17 year Cicadas are here in IL. We got thousands of them on the fence and trees around here in the past few days. The best fish bait I ever used. Just put them on a hook like you would a cricket, toss them onto the water, when there wings move the fish can't resist them.
They are quiet here now, but soon it will be tough to here the dogs over them in the woods.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 05-24-2021 02:51 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Cicadas

Boil them and they get solid them dip them in cornbread or other batter they taste kinda like fried okra

Old Post 05-24-2021 04:03 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Seen on the news last night people are eating them and claim to be enjoying them. Some are putting chocolate over them. Some just cooking like a marsh mellow. Me, until the stimulus money runs out. I will just stick to steak.

Old Post 05-25-2021 01:15 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm 77 years old and haven't eaten possum yet. but when my last two choices are possum and cicada, it's gonna be possum.

Old Post 05-25-2021 09:42 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Hey!

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I'm 77 years old and haven't eaten possum yet. but when my last two choices are possum and cicada, it's gonna be possum.

But, cicadas only come every 17 years. If not now, when? Go for it. Cross it off your bucket list!!!

My wife threw out the cicadas that I was saving to dip in chocolate. I don't understand why. She likes chocolate.

Old Post 05-30-2021 06:51 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote