UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 14 month old pup stays at my feet
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BrinsonJames
New UKC Forum Member

14 month old pup stays at my feet

I've got a 14 month old English that I've been hunting with my older blue dog. My blue dog was ruined on feeders before I got her and she refuses to cast unless I walk her in an area with alot of coon, but she is is a very good tree dog and usually accurate. I started my pup out with the blue dog and she has recently treed her first coon by herself with me walking her down a strand. My problem is when I walk her down the strand she doesn't venture too far away from me and constantly comes back to me unless she strikes, which is not very often. I've tried stopping and waiting for her to leave me but she keeps doing a 10 foot circle around me eventually ending with her standing at my feet whining. Where I hunt is very thick and I can't really walk her down too many strands and she refuses to go into those strands without me. Any advice?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-12-2018 06:44 PM
BrinsonJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrinsonJames Click here to Send BrinsonJames a Private Message Click Here to Email BrinsonJames Find more posts by BrinsonJames Add BrinsonJames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Since you started the pup, by walk hunting with another dog that you knew wouldn’t hunt out. It seems to make sense to me that this is a learned behavior. If you have spent a considerable amount of time teaching this pup it didn’t have to hunt out, I wouldn’t expect the dog to just figure it out. Now if this was a Young dog started by itself I would suggest letting it it go and pay it no attention let it get bored and wander off. BUT this seems to be a taught behavior in my mind you have two options one deal with the dog how it is, or make it known that standing around is not acceptable. A green switch will do the trick but sometimes dog will get confused and just go off in the dark and quit on a you. I suggest turning it out with another dog that will knock a hole in the dark that you know is straight. Then taking her back out and make it known that standing around is not acceptable. All dogs are different some can take correction others you have to wait out. But I tend to get impatient especially when hunting alone. There are far better dog men on this board then I, this is just my two cent.

Old Post 11-12-2018 10:19 PM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I had one one time like that and it took a lot of nights waiting for it to go and I dont mean 10 min I mean hours of just sitting there , I did start turning loose before dark and that helped but it took a while to satisfy me

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 11-13-2018 01:10 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

One thing I do when I first start hunting young dogs by themselves is hunt them in woods they are familiar with. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE! For some it takes a lot of patience to get them going and a few just aren't cut out to hunt big alone. But the fact that she's standing right next to you tells me she doesn't have the confidence to venture out by herself yet.

One question were her parents close hunting dogs?

Old Post 11-14-2018 02:32 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrinsonJames
New UKC Forum Member

Both the mom and dad would cast decently far from what I can gather. They were mainly hunted on strands with feeders 300 to 400 yards down them, or they would be hunted on tracks on the road. I don't that switching her will work from her demeanor. She does seem to have drive to hunt, when I take her out of the pen she about chokes herself trying to get to the truck. although, when you let her out of the truck she runs around about a minute on the road until her attention focuses on you.

Old Post 11-16-2018 08:23 PM
BrinsonJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrinsonJames Click here to Send BrinsonJames a Private Message Click Here to Email BrinsonJames Find more posts by BrinsonJames Add BrinsonJames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

Find a place you can get off the road as far as possible. Turn your young dog out, get your lawn chair out, and a thermos of coffee. Sit there as long as it takes for the dog to go hunting. You can sit in the truck, if you don't mind the dog scratching the side of your truck, trying to get your attention.

Old Post 11-16-2018 08:31 PM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrinsonJames
New UKC Forum Member

I tried waiting on her in the truck 1 night for about 15 minutes and she bout scratched a hole through the tailgate. I got impatient and ended up walking her and not striking on nothing...I'm thinking I'm gonna need some more patience.

Old Post 11-16-2018 09:48 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Get/borrow a dog that hunts by itself. Just hunt the other dog and let the pup just go along and do whatever she does for awhile. If she doesn't start venturing out in a couple of months, get a new pup. They don't all hunt on their own. You might go thru 3 or 4 before you get one that does. If you don't want to do that, then buy one that is already hunting by itself.

Old Post 11-16-2018 10:02 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote