UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pleasure dogs??
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure dogs??

I have not had a coon hound now for several years. I still go with my best friend occasionally. I do have a few hare hounds and have not been without at least 1 running hound for over 41 years. When I had coon hounds and was traveling the circuit some here in northern New England, the majority of the hounds being entered were first and foremost pleasure hounds. The competition hunts gave us a chance to meet new folks and compare our hounds in the hunts at night.

So how many of you folks still pleasure hunt? If you do, do you take the same dog to the woods to pleasure hunt as you do to the competition hunts? If not, why not? Based on the number of dogs I've seen my buddy go through in the last 13 years to find a good pleasure dog, I'm of the impression that good pleasure dogs are near non-existent. We both like a dog that is fully open on the ground, has at least a medium nose, that can move a track giving voice according to the condition of the track and that has the coon at the end. We also like a dog that checks in every 20-30 minutes if it's not finding game. Where we live a dog that won't check in is NO FUN to hunt!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-06-2018 02:45 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

They're still out there, but now folks call them Mountain Curs, lol. I'm in the process of weaning myself off of hounds, and the reality for me is that I don't have the time, patience, or land access to hunt hounds anymore. Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I'm getting irritable, or maybe I'm finally able to call a spade a spade. Whatever it is, I haven't been able to find a hound without huge, serious, disqualifying type holes in years now. They're rare as unicorns. And if you find one, it takes thyroid pills or has reoccurring bouts of tick diseases. I recently sold out of a partnership on a Walker female that could compete anywhere, anytime. Treed as many coons as any dog I've ever seen. But I hated her. Barked in the box, barked in the pen, paced in her crap, pulled on the leash, chewed her house and water bucket, etc... I just got to the point that no amount of god-given ability was worth dealing with her.
Now the curs are different. Hunt for you, not across the county from you. Handle. Listen. Eat less, bark less, crap less. I may get back into hounds, may buy one tomorrow. But I really like what I'm finding in the curs. Alot of the good traits missing from most hounds are still there, and still being actively bred for and sought after...

Old Post 11-06-2018 03:15 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Most everybody pleasure hunts what they comp hunt and many are trained while pleasure hunting to fit competition. Re-cutting off trees and don't come back until called in would be the main things. There are those that are training dogs to never shut up (think first strike and carrying it) or wide open as you call it and I find it unusual it is something you want in a dog that you will just pleasure hunt. Plenty of comp hunters still want a dog that opens here and there, not still mouth, as it is moving a coon and not listen to a bunch of unnecessary barking. And just like those that just pleasure hunt, pleasure/comp hunters still prefer accuracy. And pleasure hunters can say they don't care if dogs run and tree as a pack but I don't buy it because they still want their dog to be leader of the pack and first to tree. Want they want is their buddies not so independent dogs to be second and not split eliminating the walking time split trees.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-06-2018 04:00 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Hey man you are describing my Extra Trashy Depression Era Sportsmen hounds to a T. except most of mine are pretty cold nosed but can move a cold track and have the coon 2 of my gyps did that tonight. Got a nice Video.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 11-06-2018 09:55 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Leopard hound

Most leopard hounds/curs would fill your needs. They are open trailers and have decent noses on them, the only thing I really didn’t care much about them was that they liked to pack. The ones I had also hunted medium but handled like a dream. I had a couple from the midwestern strain

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 11-06-2018 10:54 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Redneck Mafia

Last thing I want is a loose mouth hound. What I said was a hound that is fully open, meaning not silent or semi-silent and one that opens according to the condition of the track. Big difference between the automatic strike dog and one that opens according to the conditions of the track.

I enjoy hearing a cold nosed hound work up an old track into a running track followed by an honest tree where the coon is seen.

My buddy has purchased or tried out a number of hounds that carry Nite Champion titles that were next to useless where we live and hunt. The majority of these dogs having a 4 figure price tag attached.

We are both intrigued by the leopard hounds and would be interested in seeing a good one or two go at some point.

Not knocking competition hounds..............just saddened by what I have seen locally and by what I read if the descriptions are accurate.

Old Post 11-06-2018 11:43 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Redneck Mafia, how do you train one not to shut up? I am not being a wise guy. But asking a serious question. I know things we didn't do in the old days to prevent this. Such as hunting them to young when they couldn't keep up or turing out of the truck constantly on hot coon you see on the road.

How many of you have now seen the in-between dog. It doesn't babble off the chain but once it makes their first honest strike, doesn't shut up till it trees a coon that is probably not the one it first smelled.

I keep thinking we are trying to hold on to Grand Pa's standards while hunting todays hounds. Unfortunately the genetics of the dogs today, doesn't line pup with Grand Pa's genetics.

The older generation of hunters are getting like the older generation of hounds. They are either sadly leaving this earth, quitting or hardly hunting anymore. I am in that category but I am still here for now, slowing down a lot and about giving in to some nonsense I never thought I would with the hounds. My main goal and it will never change is. Them having a Coon when they tree and not being mean when they tree. Someday soon the rules will be changed and the strike will not be worth much and probably equal to all dogs. The coon in the tree will be the only thing that counts.

Old Post 11-06-2018 12:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am really blessed in that I have several freinds that have been in the stud buisness a long time. I never have to worry about having a good reproducing stud to breed to or a good quality pup given to me. And most if hunted properly make good honest coon treers. Most big winning winners are coon treers. too ! But they have been man made to do things to fit the rules also. Most would not suit a pleasure hunter at all. And most old doggies like me could not keep up with them. Mine had hackberryitus last night amazing after a good spanking how quick they can find a coon.

Tar

Old Post 11-06-2018 01:24 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Bruce the day the rules change and strike doesn't account for anything will be a sad day.
It sounds like your friend has found out the expense way that the right dog for the right person is very important.

Old Post 11-06-2018 02:19 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Bruce they hold them back petting them up when other dogs are cut in front of them and when cut they leave barking. When done consistantly when young they get a dog that is wide open in the woods that can be tuned back to not leave barking but when immediately out of site or some just want them to never shut up. Some of us it drives crazy others see it as a cast winner when it ends parked under coons.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-06-2018 04:26 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

The dogs l comp hunt have to be my pleasure dogs also. I pleasure hunt way more than l comp hunt. Not saying they are not competitive because of the way this may read. They better run what is available to them up close before they head out further. Also l like them to be independent and mine are. I wont keep a straight up Me Too Dog..

Old Post 11-06-2018 05:02 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
erlandcooner
UKC Forum Member

I sure enjoy reading all the different views about silent, wide open, medium trailers, and so on. Ive been comp hunting now over 45 yrs. And this strike thing has always been a strong subject throughout tbe comp hunts. I agree with Bruce on this subject. UKC I believe has always tried to figure out the best way and are closer than the other clubs. I hunt all 3 and enjoy them all. When ask about this IMO it depends what you are hunting and how bad you wanna win. If The strike is equal to the tree, then you may as well be ready your gonna hear a lot of noise. So go the hunts with your fine hound and just enjoy hunting your hound that you like to unleash. Maybe someday the clubs will find a way to meet the best for all. I know some will say just minus them and you can and you'll get out voted and the non hunting judges will just say they are carrying it on out. However don't stop doing what you enjoy doing with your hounds, its not something new.

Old Post 11-06-2018 11:36 PM
erlandcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for erlandcooner Click here to Send erlandcooner a Private Message Find more posts by erlandcooner Add erlandcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

?

How many coon hunters think it is truly a pleasure to hunt while training a comp dog to fit the rules of todays hunts?

Old Post 11-06-2018 11:42 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

?

How many coon hunters think it is truly a pleasure to hunt while training a comp dog to fit the rules of todays hunts?

Old Post 11-06-2018 11:56 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I enjoy the pleasure dog and pleasure hunting. Hunted Sunday night for 6 hours and made 2 dens, 2 slicks, and 13 singles. It took me 5 years to find this caliber of a hound.. The compatition hunts dont do to much for me now a days like it did in the 80's and 90's

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 11-07-2018 01:00 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

MR RATMAN

what's the difference in now and then for you in the comp. hunts?

Old Post 11-07-2018 01:21 AM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

When you say "pleasure"??

Are you talking about a hound that hunts out 150-500 yards. Opens when they smell coon scent and then again when they have it figured out which way it's going? Then open enough to tell you they still have it and where they're at so you don't have to get out the beep-beep or TV screen to know? Bawling as they go and the warmer it gets the more they tell you? When it climbs they let you know with a nice long locate, then check the tree to be sure it didn't go on and come back with a nice steady chop? All the while as you set on the tailgate with the Grandkids and enjoy some treats Grandma packed or if you're by yourself you are setting on a log, next to a creek enjoying the stars above? And is this hound about 65-75 pound male with a nice square head, long ears, about 25-26 inches tall with pleasing eyes and a personality that everyone is their friend? And he doesn't care if you road him, walk him or just cast him, he has brains to check in if there's no coon at the drop?

I was just wondering because if it is then my Zach out of GrCh GrNiteCh PR Hoyle Creek Screamer and NiteCh PR Hoyle Creeks Red Ruby is a pleasure hound.

Old Post 11-07-2018 01:37 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

Old timer from the sounds of it u have my kinda hound in ur kennel. U just described it to a T. Hard to find one like that anymore. Enjoy him while he lasts.

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 11-07-2018 01:49 AM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: When you say "pleasure"??

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Are you talking about a hound that hunts out 150-500 yards. Opens when they smell coon scent and then again when they have it figured out which way it's going? Then open enough to tell you they still have it and where they're at so you don't have to get out the beep-beep or TV screen to know? Bawling as they go and the warmer it gets the more they tell you? When it climbs they let you know with a nice long locate, then check the tree to be sure it didn't go on and come back with a nice steady chop? All the while as you set on the tailgate with the Grandkids and enjoy some treats Grandma packed or if you're by yourself you are setting on a log, next to a creek enjoying the stars above? And is this hound about 65-75 pound male with a nice square head, long ears, about 25-26 inches tall with pleasing eyes and a personality that everyone is their friend? And he doesn't care if you road him, walk him or just cast him, he has brains to check in if there's no coon at the drop?

I was just wondering because if it is then my Zach out of GrCh GrNiteCh PR Hoyle Creek Screamer and NiteCh PR Hoyle Creeks Red Ruby is a pleasure hound.

BINGO!! Enjoy him all you can while you can!! Maybe I'm in the Old Timer class too? If so I'm proud to join the ranks!! LOL!

Old Post 11-07-2018 02:53 AM
DFred
UKC Forum Member

There are good pleasure hounds around. I happen to be lucky enough to own one. To me accuracy and handle are what's most important. I also like an open trailing hound with a good locate and sense enough to check and make sure he's right. I don't care for a hound that checks back in or hunts close though. Nor do I like to chase down or have to catch one. Thats where a toning collar comes in for me. There are a few things that I can let slip if accuracy and handle are there, but me too-ing isn't one of them. Mine happens to be a big bobtailed Leopard. Not sure where you are but if you want to see him go in Ohio let me know.

Old Post 11-07-2018 04:20 AM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Re: When you say "pleasure"??

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER

Yep I know exactly what you mean the Redbone blood in my X-BREEDS goes back to Red Oak Red and Clarks Treefiddling Snake.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 11-07-2018 04:28 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DFred
There are good pleasure hounds around. I happen to be lucky enough to own one. To me accuracy and handle are what's most important. I also like an open trailing hound with a good locate and sense enough to check and make sure he's right. I don't care for a hound that checks back in or hunts close though. Nor do I like to chase down or have to catch one. Thats where a toning collar comes in for me. There are a few things that I can let slip if accuracy and handle are there, but me too-ing isn't one of them. Mine happens to be a big bobtailed Leopard. Not sure where you are but if you want to see him go in Ohio let me know.

Sounds like my type of dog for the most part. I do like a dog that checks in every 20-30 mins. though if it doesn't strike a track. If I was closer I'd love to see this dog go. Thanks for sharing.

Old Post 11-07-2018 12:19 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, check in after 30 minutes? My dogs are a mile deep in 30 minutes.

Old Post 11-07-2018 01:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure dogs

If you have a pleasure dog, you will know! If the dog/s a pleasure to hunt night in and night out, there you go. If you aren't having fun/pleasure hunting a dog, then it's not a pleasure dog, pretty simple. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-08-2018 09:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure hound.

I have a male hound that will be three in a couple weeks and I am having a blast hunting him: open the kennel he"ll go get in the box take him hunting trees coons put the lead on him and drop it and he follows me to the truck if he winds a coon on the way back to the truck he will whine or open but won't go until I remove the lead when we get home open the box he step out on the tail gate I remove the collar he goes and gets in the kennel for me it"s a pleasure hound!and my best friend.

Old Post 11-08-2018 10:32 PM