UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogtra Pathfinder
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra Pathfinder

Anyone using it? How's it working out for you?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-29-2018 05:02 PM
Undergrace316 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Undergrace316 Click here to Send Undergrace316 a Private Message Click Here to Email Undergrace316 Find more posts by Undergrace316 Add Undergrace316 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skoce002
UKC Forum Member

I Picked one up this past fall and have been using it since. Previously, I was using an Astro 320 (so any comparisons are to that. Have no knowledge compared to the Alpha). I really enjoy the system and it is pretty user friendly. I like the variety of map options that it gives and the offline maps show a lot of the trails in the state parks that I hunt that I was previously unaware of, which makes walking to some trees a lot easier. The collar and transmitter have long battery lives. I like the all in one ability of running everything from my phone. It transitions easily from the tracking to map to e-collar mode.

One of my favorite aspects of the system is the replay hunt feature. It's nice to be able to watch the tracks the dog ran after the fact. Also pretty cool to be able to share it with others so they can see what the dog did.

Overall, I really like everything about it. It's leaps and bounds better than what I was using before with the 320. Again, never used an Alpha, so not sure how it compares to that system.

Old Post 06-30-2018 01:46 AM
Skoce002 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skoce002 Click here to Send Skoce002 a Private Message Find more posts by Skoce002 Add Skoce002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

I've had one for some time now and love it . I got an s7 active so I don't worry about getting it wet . I haven't had any collar issue's outside geo fence comes on some times but just turn it back off . System tracks a mile or better at times no dropping and picking back up it just track's . I've used an alpha it has a tiny screen that's touch screen that makes it harder to see and harder to navigate with big fingers . They both do the same thing. But since I can use any phone I want with it and can see and navigate it better with a bigger screen sold me on it . Not to mention cost affective half the price of a Garmin . The maps are awesome online or off . Phone doesn't even have to have service to be used on Dogtra. We all got phone's laying around . There's hundreds of videos on YouTube to better explain and teach it's abilities . I'll never go back to Garmin .

Old Post 07-01-2018 01:01 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ma taylor
UKC Forum Member

dogtra pathfinder

don't have but do have a ? if you are using google maps does it use data

Old Post 07-01-2018 03:28 PM
ma taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ma taylor Click here to Send ma taylor a Private Message Click Here to Email ma taylor Find more posts by ma taylor Add ma taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitch aters
New UKC Forum Member

I tried one out for a couple weeks. Its not my cup of tea. The user interface, the maps, overall ease of use and tracking ability was phenomenal. BUT it is only as reliable as your cell phone. Multiple times i would open up the map to go back to the truck or just look around and the device list would be blank. Would have to restart phone to make it work. I believe it tracks better than the garmin but once i would lose signal with the dogtra its just lost. Had a hard time with getting it to recover. They need to do away with the phone factor. Make them a handheld like garmins with wifi to dowload parts of google maps while at home and i believe they would be on to something. My phone is subject to alot of different punishments while on the farm everyday and it doesnt always want to work properly. That was the deal breaker for me. Back to garmin for me

Old Post 07-01-2018 06:55 PM
mitch aters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mitch aters Click here to Send mitch aters a Private Message Click Here to Email mitch aters Find more posts by mitch aters Add mitch aters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Re: dogtra pathfinder

quote:
Originally posted by ma taylor
don't have but do have a ? if you are using google maps does it use data

Phone doesn't have to have service at all you can download maps over Wi-Fi and if your phone does have service you can use offline maps to prevent data use but I wouldn't imagine it would be much .

The only time I had trouble losing connection was clearing out app's running in back ground and clearing out Dogtra by accident does take a few minutes to pick back up . Or if I got out of Bluetooth reach but it picks right back up .

Old Post 07-01-2018 08:14 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

Do you have to pay for the maps or are all maps free to download?

Old Post 07-02-2018 02:09 AM
Undergrace316 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Undergrace316 Click here to Send Undergrace316 a Private Message Click Here to Email Undergrace316 Find more posts by Undergrace316 Add Undergrace316 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Undergrace316
Do you have to pay for the maps or are all maps free to download?

No fees, it uses Google Maps

Old Post 07-02-2018 02:45 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote