UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Can your dog count coons?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Can your dog count coons?

Can your dog tell one coon from another?
Deer cameras show that coon seldom travel as singles.
Does your dog have the ability to tree every coon in a litter that go up separate trees or do they tree one coon per litter and go on to tree another entirely different coon?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-23-2019 05:33 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Yes and yes

Scent-matching dogs have previously been used to identify caged individual Amur tigers (Panthera tigris altaica) by fecal material (scat), but this technique has not been tested in the wild. We tested the hypothesis that trained dogs can identify individual tigers by unique characteristics present in scat. To conduct this work, we used 5 dogs and 58 scats from 25 known individual tigers in independent trials. Dogs correctly selected matched test scats at an average rate of 87% (SE ± 1.4%, n = 521 trials). The average accuracy rates for 4 dogs increased to 98% (SE ± 1.6%, n = 86 sets of repeated-trials) using repeated-trial tests. Each of 5 dogs made correct choices better than expected by chance (dog 1 χ21 = 507.9, P ≤ 0.001; dog 2 χ21 = 882.1, P ≤ 0.001; dog 3 χ21 = 374.1, P ≤ 0.001; dog 4 χ21 = 379.2, P ≤ 0.001; and dog 5 χ21 = 103.9, P ≤ 0.001). Four dogs were able to match 11 scats deposited over a 4-year period from one tiger with an accuracy of 100% (n = 40 trails). This method may be a useful alternative to genetic analyses that are used in conjunction with scat-sampling schemes in studies for which DNA genotyping is impractical or ineffective. Used with mark—recapture surveys to estimate species abundance, scent-matching dogs have the potential of being important tools in the study of wild Amur tigers, as well as other wildlife species.

Old Post 09-23-2019 10:10 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Yes...but not all can "count" , but above average one I swear they know theirs two sumtimes 3 coons up one tree....
Knock one out ,it'll mouth it then go back ta treeing, like it knows theirs more up their.
Then I seen dog tree every coon in a litter....just cutt-m from tree .....the latter is something ta behold.

Old Post 09-23-2019 12:42 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

that's why I like hunting when leaves are off. when he makes 5 trees in 50 yrds of me I can see what hes got. instead of him holding up 5 toes and showing me I can see whats up there. but he does a bang up job. Count AAAh think he just smells them. knows the difference from the one he just treed and knowing another is out there running together.

Old Post 09-23-2019 04:14 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I had a dog once that could do that. When kittens were out, he would go from tree to tree and tree a whole litter. And he wouldn't put his nose on the ground between them. I let some buddies take him up to Wisconsin to hunt him. They called him, "The Census Taker". He would show them every coon in a patch of woods.

Old Post 09-23-2019 05:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I had a dog once that could do that. When kittens were out, he would go from tree to tree and tree a whole litter. And he wouldn't put his nose on the ground between them. I let some buddies take him up to Wisconsin to hunt him. They called him, "The Census Taker". He would show them every coon in a patch of woods.

Richard was that before you started with the redbones and hunted them walkers? LOL ...I could not resist. sorry

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 09-23-2019 05:33 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't think a dog can count. But I do think he can smell. How do you think a dog knows when a coon is in a tree? And even the slick treers know. Lots of people believe they can be broke from slick treeing. If they didn't know they were wrong how could you break them? We read on this forum this week about a female that went 150 yds across a river to tree a coon. If a dog can smell a coon from 150 yards he surely can smell one 30 feet over his head. Some dogs have enough savvy to know another coon is in the tree. He can smell him.

Old Post 09-23-2019 10:52 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Mine has it all.... Smartest I've ever seen .... Just need to slow him down a little.... Keeps beating the coons to the tree... All I can figure is he knows what tree they going to climb before they get there... 😎

Old Post 09-24-2019 12:03 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
Mine has it all.... Smartest I've ever seen .... Just need to slow him down a little.... Keeps beating the coons to the tree... All I can figure is he knows what tree they going to climb before they get there... 😎
Train him to hide in the bushes and wait for the coon to get there. It sounds like with a little training you might have the next world champion.

Old Post 09-24-2019 12:56 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I don't know but think one can definitely smell the difference. I had one that on several occasions would trail through an area and another dog tree one behind him. He would then go on to tree a different coon. I've also seen him go through an area running, tree the coon and when released; run back through that area and just fall treed with a coon. He was a long way from tight on track so I think he smelled where one was up and then fall back and tree it on the way back. I'm not real smart so I'm probably wrong but I think that was what was happening.

Old Post 09-24-2019 03:35 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

If it's to much for a dog to comprehend a trail of multiple coon with his nose I suppose a visual would destroy his brain

Old Post 09-24-2019 01:23 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Some nights my dog seems to know where every coon in the woods is and other nights he doesn't know where any of them are but that's just my sorry dog.

Old Post 09-24-2019 04:14 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Didn't you ever notice that when you tree one coon the dogs don't take the same track again when you recut them?

Old Post 09-24-2019 06:57 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Some nights my dog seems to know where every coon in the woods is and other nights he doesn't know where any of them are but that's just my sorry dog.

X2

Tar

Old Post 09-24-2019 07:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I don't think a dog can count. But I do think he can smell. How do you think a dog knows when a coon is in a tree?

Some dogs are cold nosed and run a track but usually don’t wind...they you have hotter nosed dogs that don’t take cold tracks but have decent winding ability...so is it a natural inclination to wind as mentioned?

Old Post 09-25-2019 03:44 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why do some dogs tree on an empty bush or sapling when all they have to do is look up and see that there is no coon there?

Old Post 09-25-2019 05:33 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote