UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ohio hunting?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CWard
UKC Forum Member

Ohio hunting?

A friend of mine has told me about the hunting in Ohio. He said it’s dang good hunting and, I’m game to go during kill season just curious if it’s as good as I’ve heard from not just my buddy but others as well? We gonna schedule to go around the 1-2wk of November. Just asking the coonhound community. Tks in advance

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-09-2019 03:01 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

The quality of your planned event will greatly depend upon what part of Ohio you plan to hunt. You see from Lancaster Ohio(south central Ohio) to Northwest Ohio, all the way to the Indiana state line is pretty much flat land and patch woods. with mostly a good coon population. The problem with that flat land is that the wind blows hard and cold most of the last two weeks of November and then blows harder and colder the closer you get to christmas. Anything due south and SE of lancaster is hilly and old grown up farm land, now owned and leased predominantly by instate and out of state, horn hunting deer hunters. Coon are a little less plentiful, but your hound will have to work a little harder to put the coon on a limb where you can see them. the upside to the hill country is that when the wind starts howling in late november, the hills help block the wind from freezing you to death, and makes the hunt a little less cold and chilly. In general, the air temps usually are 8-10 degrees warmer in the souther part of the state than they are in the norther part of the state. On those warm nights when coon are moving the hunting is way better in the flat lands and patch woods, but when the temps get below freezing, and the wind starts howling, I think the hunting is better in these hills.

Northeast Ohio has some of the most beautiful coon hunting land in our nation. Rolling hills with small streams, corn fields and soybeans surrounded by smaller patches of timber. And a GREAT coon population.

Where I live we have a good bit of public hunting, but it is not nearly as populated as the private farm lands, if you can still find permission to hunt them.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 09-09-2019 04:31 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmyers8
UKC Forum Member

I live and hunt in ne ohio.. hes right about being loaded with coon and the layout of the area... unfortunately the deer leases have moved up here and I lose 1 or 2 spots a year to that and another or 2 to logging. There isn't hardly any public land around either. The first 2 weeks of November will also be loaded with deer hunters in the woods for rut. Ohio's kill season is kinda a joke between deer season then bad weather we might get a few good weeks of kill season. Not trying to discourage you just setting up the right expectations

Old Post 09-09-2019 12:13 PM
Jmyers8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmyers8 Click here to Send Jmyers8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmyers8 Find more posts by Jmyers8 Add Jmyers8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

Ohio kill season doesn't start till November 10

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 09-09-2019 06:23 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Ohio Hunt

You might have picked a bad year. Hear in N/W Ohio crop harvest is going tobe 4 to 6 weeks later than normal. Farmers including myself are a little touchy this year. I really don't want extra dogs running through my soybeans that are ready to harvest.
We have a lot of patch woods 5 and 10 acre size. So keep in mind at 400 yards your dog can be on posted ground.
So called deer hunters are leasing wooded acres fast. ATVs and UtVs trespassing are making it hard to get permission.
Yes we have coon.
I have lived with in 5 miles of my birth place (65 yrs) and have hunted since I could walk through the woods. So I am well known and know all LOCAL landowners. And I am loosing my hunting land fast.
Guess what this boils down to. If you do come up to hunt please be respectful have permission and know where you and your dogs are.
Don't mean to be a downer. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
You ask this is my thoughts

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 09-09-2019 06:54 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

its a bad year for farming this year a bunch of bare ground that didn't get planted

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 09-09-2019 07:10 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWard
UKC Forum Member

I have found out the town we are hunting around or near is Bartlett Ohio. Does this area seem to be a good area? Tks in advance.

Old Post 10-04-2019 03:11 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

There’s no coon in Ohio

Old Post 10-04-2019 03:17 AM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug__Adams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CWard
I have found out the town we are hunting around or near is Bartlett Ohio. Does this area seem to be a good area? Tks in advance.

If I'm thinking right Bartlett is in southestern ohio.. Hunting is pretty rough around there. Im in west central Oh. Hunting is decent around here but better north of here. Good luck!

Call/text anytime!

Check us out on Facebook
Treacle Creek Kennels And Hunting Supply
https://treaclecreekhuntingsupply.com

Old Post 10-04-2019 04:13 AM
Doug__Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug__Adams Click here to Send Doug__Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug__Adams Find more posts by Doug__Adams Add Doug__Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

CWARD

Well you are coming to my neck of the woods as I live and grew up within 15-20 miles of Bartlett, Ohio.

A lot of Private land in and around Bartlett, a good bit of public hunting within 20 to 25 miles of Bartlett. Some good hunting on the farms headed toward Beverly, Ohio which is 15 to 20 miles east of Bartlett, River bottoms 1000 foot hard wood ridges surrounding the area but make sure you get permission as the horn hunters from Main, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, etc, as well as some from Pennsylvania and Ohio have bought up and/or leased a lot of properties so those folks can be a real pain for a hound hunter.

Bring a good hound as hound hunting in this area is about the roughest you will find in the state of Ohio, but with a good hound you will still have success. But treeing 15-25 coon per night is NOT a common thing in this area.

If you can see coons in 4-5 trees in an 6-8 hour hunt, you are hunting a pretty fair hound. Good Luck and enjoy your time up this way, and maybe I can look you up and take a hunt with you while you are here. Again Good Luck and ENJOY!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 10-04-2019 04:19 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWard
UKC Forum Member

Re: CWARD

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
Well you are coming to my neck of the woods as I live and grew up within 15-20 miles of Bartlett, Ohio.

A lot of Private land in and around Bartlett, a good bit of public hunting within 20 to 25 miles of Bartlett. Some good hunting on the farms headed toward Beverly, Ohio which is 15 to 20 miles east of Bartlett, River bottoms 1000 foot hard wood ridges surrounding the area but make sure you get permission as the horn hunters from Main, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, etc, as well as some from Pennsylvania and Ohio have bought up and/or leased a lot of properties so those folks can be a real pain for a hound hunter.

Bring a good hound as hound hunting in this area is about the roughest you will find in the state of Ohio, but with a good hound you will still have success. But treeing 15-25 coon per night is NOT a common thing in this area.

If you can see coons in 4-5 trees in an 6-8 hour hunt, you are hunting a pretty fair hound. Good Luck and enjoy your time up this way, and maybe I can look you up and take a hunt with you while you are here. Again Good Luck and ENJOY!!

Tks for the info Rocketman I will PM you and see if we can’t meet up!

Old Post 10-04-2019 05:32 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Sounds Good! Looking forward to that

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 10-05-2019 04:43 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Sounds Good! Looking forward to that

Make sure that you cut them a good walking stick so that they can stay upright on the side of those mountains you hunt. lol.

Old Post 10-05-2019 03:05 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

LOL Thanks John I will try and remember to do that. You may as well come along and we will have a blast

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 10-07-2019 03:38 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
LOL Thanks John I will try and remember to do that. You may as well come along and we will have a blast

Been waiting on an invite, I’ll have to take you up on that soon. You’re more than welcome to come down here and we can hunt off the UTV. I’m needing to hunt with a good dog anyway just to see if the coon around here are real smart or of my dogs are real dumb. Lol

Old Post 10-07-2019 06:04 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tommygunner
Banned

Re: Ohio Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by RC-Abby
You might have picked a bad year. Hear in N/W Ohio crop harvest is going tobe 4 to 6 weeks later than normal. Farmers including myself are a little touchy this year. I really don't want extra dogs running through my soybeans that are ready to harvest.
We have a lot of patch woods 5 and 10 acre size. So keep in mind at 400 yards your dog can be on posted ground.
So called deer hunters are leasing wooded acres fast. ATVs and UtVs trespassing are making it hard to get permission.
Yes we have coon.
I have lived with in 5 miles of my birth place (65 yrs) and have hunted since I could walk through the woods. So I am well known and know all LOCAL landowners. And I am loosing my hunting land fast.
Guess what this boils down to. If you do come up to hunt please be respectful have permission and know where you and your dogs are.
Don't mean to be a downer. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

You ask this is my thoughts

Randi Bidlack

People , Dogs dont do near the damage coons and deer do.
Im happy to see them on my crop ground here I have never had one minutes trouble with a coon hunter as they keep the mugs out.

Old Post 10-07-2019 07:54 PM
tommygunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tommygunner Click here to Send tommygunner a Private Message Click Here to Email tommygunner Find more posts by tommygunner Add tommygunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCOTT E JONES
UKC Forum Member

Ohio coon hunting

I called and checked on out of state fur license. $180.00 they have no 4 or 6 non residents license for bur bures.

Old Post 10-08-2019 01:09 AM
SCOTT E JONES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTT E JONES Click here to Send SCOTT E JONES a Private Message Find more posts by SCOTT E JONES Add SCOTT E JONES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

John, please don't count on me to have a coon dog LOL. I'm struggling like some others to find something I can live with.

But if you come along at least I will have someone to help me laugh at their struggles.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 10-08-2019 11:02 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

TommyGunner-We hound hunters cannot thank you enough for your welcoming support and giving access to your property.

I doubt that mine and your paths will ever cross but I thank You for your good common sense and appreciate the generosity you offer to hound hunters in your area.

God Bless!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 10-08-2019 11:07 PM