UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training tips
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AKE
UKC Forum Member

Training tips

Picked up a walker female that just turned a year old and the fellow said she has never been messed or been loose her whole life. I've had her little over a week now getting her used to me. Was curious should I just thrust her straight into action or train her like you would starting out a young pup. Never got a dog this old usually get younger pups 3-4 months old.

Last edited by AKE on 08-31-2020 at 10:23 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-31-2020 10:19 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Start her off the same as you would anything else she is starting at the beginning to she is the same as a pup would be. That's the way I ve always done it and it works for me, always has if she has it it will come outta there...

Old Post 08-31-2020 10:26 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The first thing is to socialize her around other dogs and your family...especially with you...

Show her a coon so she’ll know what it is and hopefully her instincts will kick in...I think it is important that a pup or dog knows and wants the game of choice before turning pup or dog loose in the woods...

You might be surprised by how well she does starting out...some dogs just take to it like a duck takes to water...

Old Post 08-31-2020 11:53 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AKE
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the ideas. Got her on a project guy didn't want her. She was kind of timid at first in kennel now she is a whole lot better. Been walking her on a leash a lot also. Any new thing we pass kind of has her on guard but she is getting better. I know the past few days she has grown to hate the cats that pass by the kennels

Old Post 09-01-2020 03:00 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote