UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding through a chainlink kennel
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

Breeding through a chainlink kennel

I have been messing with dogs half my life, and I'm afraid the "impossible" may have happened to me. Bought a 18mo female late July (25th) that was in heat when I got her. Was told she had been in heat ~1 week making her "peak" 25th-28th (days 7-10). She has been in a very well covered kennel she can't dig out of since I've owned her, so she didn't get out to my knowledge. Neighbors took in a stray chow dog a couple weeks prior to pup coming home with me that ran loose all day/night. He'd be the pappy if she was bred at my house, 100%...was hanging around her kennel, being half-way aggressive, every time she'd make a sound he'd come running from across the road to my dog pens. IF he stuck her, it would have almost had to of been through the kennel, as he couldn't have climbed in/her climbed out, and there's no way he dug in/her out. I did find a small spot in the kennel where he had tried biting/clawing through the chainlink, but the hole was too small for him/her to get in/out of. Talked to the neighbor about the chow's behavior and politely asked them to tie him up, at least for 2-3 weeks until mine was out of heat. No problem, got apologies from him, haven't had a problem with the dog since. The only other scenarios I see as possible is she was bred when I got her, or Mr. Chow did get in with her or she got out, and the neighbors put her back in and didn't tell me, which i find unlikely since we get along just fine. Plus I told them he tried to eat a hole through my kennel and he never said anything like, "oh yeah, by the way, I saw her out and put her back in..."

Has anyone had a female bred through a chainlink kennel with no evidence of climbing/digging/holes in the kennel itself? Pup has been turning it on lately, but is starting to look like she's preggers. Calling the vet in the morning to see how much $ for blood test to determine if she's bred. If she was bred when I think she was, she'd be 49-52 days in at this point, just starting to look like she could be bred. I guess worst-case scenario, I'll have some short-eared, purple tongued alligator snapper-bred walker dogs on the puppy board in 6-8 weeks, CHEAP!!! More of a rant than anything, just figured I'd see if it's happened before (pretty sure I already know the answer though).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2022 02:07 AM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

She should be pretty big at 49-52 days…I’ve had many over the years in chain link kennels without issues of getting bred through the chain links

Old Post 09-16-2022 03:10 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

That's what I thought, too. She's got a little bit of a belly going, but not obviously pregnant. I had myself convinced 4-5 days ago she was just fat from me feeding too much. But now my wife tells me she looks pregnant because her nipples are getting bigger and her rear end is swelled up. I don't know what to think now. Guess I'll find out in about 10-11 days.

Old Post 09-16-2022 03:17 AM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I had a small fice once in a corner pen made of 2x4 in wire and had a redbone hound on a chain that could reach the corner. Ended up with two solid red, long legged fice pups.

Old Post 09-16-2022 06:42 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

If she’s bred I’d say it happened prior to you getting her.. I tried and bought a female for a friend of mine once that was bred to the guys cur… Put me in a terrible spot as I thought I could trust the guy I got her from..and the friend who had just paid pretty good money for her was not happy… Needless to say that was my last
Time buying a dog for anybody but myself

Old Post 09-16-2022 01:26 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Maybe a false pregnancy

Old Post 09-16-2022 06:01 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

Went to the vet today, pregnant with at least 8 pups. So she did get bred either at my house or the previous owner's. Pretty sick about it right now. Guess I'll have to wait and see what they look like when they're born to guess what really happened.

Old Post 09-16-2022 07:28 PM
3Rivers
UKC Forum Member

No worries

Trust me she wasn’t bred through the fence, I have a young Walker gyp that had her first heat back in March and I have a 80lb male German Shepherd and not one time had any problems with him at the fence of the kennel. When they in heat just leave them in the kennel and don’t worry. I think it was before you got her if she is in fact pregnant.
-Chris

Bordelonville La.

‘PR’ Coma’s Sweet Thelma Lou
(Somewheres Stylish Coma x Lone Pine Hollie)

Old Post 09-16-2022 09:37 PM
3Rivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3Rivers Click here to Send 3Rivers a Private Message Click Here to Email 3Rivers Find more posts by 3Rivers Add 3Rivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

I have personally seen it happen twice. Once was a 70 lb lab and a beagle. I promise it happens

Joe Levan

Old Post 09-17-2022 12:59 AM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jerry Moll
UKC Forum Member

It won’t happen every time, but it is not that uncommon either. Dogs are creative, they will make it work.

Old Post 09-17-2022 01:40 AM
Jerry Moll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry Moll Click here to Send Jerry Moll a Private Message Click Here to Email Jerry Moll Visit Jerry Moll's homepage! Find more posts by Jerry Moll Add Jerry Moll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Wouldn't have stopped me when I was sixteen... would probably stop me today. So I'd say it can happen with some dogs and not others.

Old Post 09-17-2022 02:09 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Through the fence breedings do happen although it’s not going to be common even though it can happen.

Old Post 09-17-2022 02:15 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

I'll know more after they're born and will keep everyone posted. It is what it is!

Old Post 09-17-2022 02:54 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Not saying it can’t happen………..but I’ve kept hounds, males and females, in chain link kennels beside each other, for 42 years. Never have had a female get bred through an intact chain link fence.

Old Post 09-18-2022 05:00 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Dan you must not not have any Australian shepherds in your neighborhood. They can do some amazing things.

Old Post 09-18-2022 06:32 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Well, it might happen, but I've spent hours trying to get one bred with no fence between them.

Old Post 09-18-2022 07:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Well, it might happen, but I've spent hours trying to get one bred with no fence between them.

😂👍

Old Post 09-18-2022 07:32 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joelunchbucket
UKC Forum Member

It can happen.

Had a female that did that twice through a chain link fence. Same neighborhood mutt bred her both times. Still have one of the puppies. Good dog, but she ain’t a coon dog. Luckily she blood trails pretty good.

Old Post 09-18-2022 10:20 PM
Joelunchbucket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joelunchbucket Click here to Send Joelunchbucket a Private Message Find more posts by Joelunchbucket Add Joelunchbucket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Dan you must not not have any Australian shepherds in your neighborhood. They can do some amazing things.

LOL! No Australian Shepherds here, just beagles that herd snowshoe hare. 😉

Old Post 09-19-2022 02:42 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Lol.Ive had trouble sometimes getting dogs to breed also.Should be the easiest thing in the world to do but sometimes its not.Id have to see dogs breed thru a fence to believe it.Im not calling anyone a liar.

Old Post 09-19-2022 01:09 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

It looks like Mr. Chow is the daddy! She had 9 total and, one died, and all but two are solid black. Can't be 100% sure he's the daddy, but I think its pretty safe to assume at this point. She got bred through the kennel. So to everyone with gyps in kennels, be aware it CAN happen.

Old Post 09-25-2022 06:46 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I had a friend that kept his female German Shepard in a 6 foot kennel…his neighbor had a Siberian husky and he crawled over the fence and bred the shepherd…he said they were nice looking pups even though he wasn’t happy about it…

Like Tramp…in that movie, Lady and the Tramp…there’s a lot of slick Tramps out there running the streets at night…crawling over fences in the cover of darkness and leaving before daylight…

I almost caught one in the act but he sailed the 5 ft. high fence like nothing…two months later proved I was late…he looked to be collie x German shepherd…I could tell that wasn’t his first rodeo…happened almost 50 years ago but it is still fresh in my mind…

Old Post 09-26-2022 03:34 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote