UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog house heaters
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tim Hoeck
UKC Forum Member

Dog house heaters

Has anyone ever try one . I see them in the nite light catalog

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-12-2018 07:16 PM
Tim Hoeck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Hoeck Click here to Send Tim Hoeck a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Hoeck Find more posts by Tim Hoeck Add Tim Hoeck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have home made ones love them and the dogs do too.

Old Post 11-12-2018 09:15 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushcreek12ga
UKC Forum Member

How do you make yours?

Old Post 11-13-2018 12:27 AM
Brushcreek12ga is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushcreek12ga Click here to Send Brushcreek12ga a Private Message Click Here to Email Brushcreek12ga Find more posts by Brushcreek12ga Add Brushcreek12ga to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

1 gallon paint cans from any box store. Porcelain light recepticle bolted to the bottom drill big enough hole in bottom for your cord connect to recepticle before bolting it to the can. Drill alot of 1/4 holes in can and the lid. use a sixty watt bulb.

Old Post 11-13-2018 01:11 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Akoma Dog House Furnace

Great product! I have (4) of them. Beginning my 3rd winter with them. Google them and get the info. My dogs love them and I am feeding 25-30% less dog food to boot in the winter months. Just fired mine up for the season yesterday. Had 19° here this morning.

Old Post 11-13-2018 02:20 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

lived for centuries

never heard of a fox coyote wolf or my hounds ever need heated dog boxes everyone is weak and the people get weaker

Old Post 11-13-2018 02:29 AM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Native Americans use to sleep in tepees and wigwams around an open fire too but I bet you don't! 😉

Old Post 11-13-2018 03:04 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Ennen
UKC Forum Member

Houndheater.com is a good product. The old dogs especially benefit from a little heat. 4 degrees last night.

Old Post 11-13-2018 04:59 AM
Rick Ennen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Ennen Click here to Send Rick Ennen a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick Ennen Find more posts by Rick Ennen Add Rick Ennen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Trisizemore No wolves, coyotes , and foxes don’t have a dog house heater. But I guarantee they would sleep in them if it was cold and they had access. What is wrong with trying to take care of you’re animals. They are our responsibility too feed and take care of to the best of our ability. Some people have a lot of money tied up in there hounds and even if they don’t you owe it to them to do the best that you can. That was a ridiculous post

Old Post 11-13-2018 02:15 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guy lucking
UKC Forum Member

Hound heater deluxe is a very good product .you need a good insulated dog house with some kind of flap on door. The reviews on them look bad its a great product when used properly.

Old Post 11-13-2018 02:22 PM
Guy lucking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guy lucking Click here to Send Guy lucking a Private Message Click Here to Email Guy lucking Find more posts by Guy lucking Add Guy lucking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Wolves, foxes and coyote dig dens in the ground. They don't sleep in flimsy plywood houses. Four degrees is awfully cold.

Old Post 11-13-2018 02:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PJ SPANGLER
UKC Forum Member

heaters

use the can and light fixture and buy a thermal cube to plug it into it will come on at 32 deg. and below will shut off above 32 deg works great been using it for years

Old Post 11-14-2018 03:28 AM
PJ SPANGLER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PJ SPANGLER Click here to Send PJ SPANGLER a Private Message Click Here to Email PJ SPANGLER Find more posts by PJ SPANGLER Add PJ SPANGLER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buckmaster27012
UKC Forum Member

would this type of heater work in iqloo dog houses or only in wood houses?

Old Post 11-14-2018 01:49 PM
buckmaster27012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buckmaster27012 Click here to Send buckmaster27012 a Private Message Click Here to Email buckmaster27012 Find more posts by buckmaster27012 Add buckmaster27012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

When i was a teenager and the temperature got 20-40 below zero my father would wake me up at 3:00 am in the morning to go out and check on my dogs. Each and every time I put my ungloved hand in their dog houses they were warmer than I was in the house. When I complained to dad he would offer me another blanket.

People are people. Animals are animals. Animals are considerably more hearty than people.

Dogs needs are for a good dog house that allows the dog's body to heat its space. In many cases an upgrade of the dog's house would benefit them much more. More important is the availability of fresh water. Finally, a good quality dog food rounds out the physiological needs of dogs during cold weather.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-14-2018 06:24 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

How many of you take your dog out of his heated house and ask him to go tree a coon in icy water?

Old Post 11-14-2018 07:08 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

wondered the same thing shad..

does this affect there hunting being in a heated house wouldn't there body get used to being warm then have a hard time dealing with the cold ??

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Old Post 11-14-2018 07:34 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I got a thermostat off an old electric heater and mounted it inside the dog house and wired it to a hair blow dryer mounted to the outside. It worked so well but the dogs didn't like the whine of the hair dryer, even on the coldest night they wouldn't go in. I changed to a very small space heater with a fan. Set it on low and the dogs love it. I put one on each dog house. They can easily get by with out it. But I love my sorry so called coon dogs and want to make them comfortable. Everyone knows that dogs prefer a warm place, like under the stove. I know men who give nothing but a steel drum w/o any bedding to their dogs and dogs survive. That's not good enough for me or my dogs. There is no way I could stand to have my dogs outside with no heat. I don't think it makes them soft. I take them out every other day, year round and they are always crying to go regardless of how cold or hit it is.

Old Post 11-15-2018 01:23 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: wondered the same thing shad..

quote:
Originally posted by Night cry
does this affect there hunting being in a heated house wouldn't there body get used to being warm then have a hard time dealing with the cold ??

I've got snowshoe hare hounds that will hunt all day in temps from below zero to the low 20's. When I put them back in their pens at the end of the day they have a warm dog house to return to. They get dried off quickly and are ready to go again the next day if I am! When their feet and legs get banged up it's my observation that their bodies heal more quickly. If the body isn't using excess energy to stay warm it heals that much faster. As I stated earlier, you'll also find it takes less feed to keep them in the colder months in a heated house. Mine are set to come on at about 35°. When the dog is in it's house the heaters run very little cause their body heat helps keep the temp at that level. My heaters will rarely come on with the dog in the house if it is 25° or above.

Old Post 11-15-2018 02:16 AM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Hound heater deluxe

I purchased a hound heater deluxe for a whelping box a few years back. It worked real nice.
As with any heat source around bedding, you need to pay attention, if bedding got up around it, could be fire starter I expect.

I have used the plastic heated pad that goes on the floor of the dog house too. They seem pretty safe, as they don't get hot, just warm.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-15-2018 05:17 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guy lucking
UKC Forum Member

Mine was also bought for welping box here in minnesota its cold .I have built them with can and light the hound heater deluxe is like the Garmin alpha its in the name. Like I said before the hound heater deluxe has bad reviews I almost didn't buy it after reading the reviews . I'm so glad I bought one.

Old Post 11-15-2018 02:53 PM
Guy lucking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guy lucking Click here to Send Guy lucking a Private Message Click Here to Email Guy lucking Find more posts by Guy lucking Add Guy lucking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Found a great thing to use as a door flap. The mat you put under a grill on the patio or deck. They are flexible, thin and wind proof. I tried it, mother was not amused.

Old Post 11-15-2018 09:08 PM
DocAcumen
UKC Forum Member

What if?

yes a stretch i am sure?

One would build the dogs a basement?

AKA
Dig down a few feet in the ground?
line it with concrete blocks, or something that can with stand the under earth kid of deal?

put a hinged roof on it for cleaning and all?

would that work?
Dog would be out of wind in winter, and well shaded in summer!
and we all know that the ground is a good insulation , winter or summer.

might take some planning and a lil expense?

But if done right, seems it would last a lifetime?

hmmmm guess rain could be a problem huh?
had not thought of that as i was thinking about it .......

and not sure if a dog would actually crawl into a basement?

But , seemed like a good thought as i started this?
LMFAO.....

hell might still work? if built into a hill , raised ground, as to keep the rain out?

Just thinking outside the BOX!
lol

Old Post 11-16-2018 02:08 AM
DocAcumen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DocAcumen Click here to Send DocAcumen a Private Message Find more posts by DocAcumen Add DocAcumen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

DocAcumen they done have dog houses that are built the way you mentioned. You dog down a couple feet and set the house in it. I don’t remember the name but you can google it

Old Post 11-16-2018 01:12 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you build a dog house without a floor or if the wooden floor rots out, your dog will dig his own "basement". Maybe you could dig a hole and turn an igloo style doghouse upside down.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-16-2018 at 02:03 PM

Old Post 11-16-2018 02:00 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
Found a great thing to use as a door flap. The mat you put under a grill on the patio or deck. They are flexible, thin and wind proof. I tried it, mother was not amused.

Roy - where u buy these at ? They expensive ?

Old Post 11-16-2018 05:27 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote