UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ok Alen/ukc
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Ok Alen/ukc

So you half to have a master of hound at a hunt or you can use a hunt director. Why don't you start a program to knock off so much everytime someone enters there dog if they have a certify approve JUDGE CARD. Have a test for them to answer ? So hopefully we can get better judges in cast. So many people think they have been cheated or taking advantage of when a lot of time they simply don't know the rules. I know one person who calls in after every cast he's in cause someone is always cheating. And most of time he just don't know the rules from ukc, just the ones he makes up. But it's happening everywhere and of course there's some people who take advantage of there judging task. But I'd like to see you guys come up with two things. One of course a pass/fail test to take so they can a license judge card. Than a format where if u have three club complaints to your club MOH by three different people at three separate hunts than you can't judge a cast for a year. I know there will be certain cast where there's not nuff license judges but look at your bigger hunts like aut oaks etc, I've seen some people put down as judges that had never been on a cast. It actually happen to my nephew he was so scared I think he fake he was sick and withdrew my dog, lol. I don't want to start a big debate just would love to see a lot of people get the correct information before they judge a cast.

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-01-2015 03:19 AM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wrinkletreeknls
UKC Forum Member

Around here you have a hard enough time getting people to judge at all, let alone want to take a test for it

'PR' HAYES MOONLITE BO
deceased

'PR' SHAVER'S WEST FORK WRINKLES

Old Post 07-01-2015 03:59 AM
wrinkletreeknls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wrinkletreeknls Click here to Send wrinkletreeknls a Private Message Click Here to Email wrinkletreeknls Find more posts by wrinkletreeknls Add wrinkletreeknls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I think it should go both ways. As you stated in post there are allot of hunters that don’t know the rules. I just think that the rule book says it all. Study and learn the rule book before entering a hunt. And make it were you have to have entered into 2 dozen hunts before being able to judge so you are comfortable and understand the game and rules. We all know there are always going to be those that bend the rules or see them different to benefit themselves, but we can improve all of this with help of all in the cast to stand up for what is correct and not what you gain out of it....

Old Post 07-01-2015 04:42 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

We have put so much emphasis on knowing the rules that is has scared away tons of hunters. These hunts are in decline. Look around

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-01-2015 04:53 AM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Would be optional

And if local club new a better judge that didn't have it they could use either one. Just be something to use at aut oaks the zones or the big hunts. And if the small clubs had a big turn out and didn't know any of the people that were entering. I know there's not a perfect fix but they need to do something, you get people that keep bashing these hunts it's going to keep hurting the numbers. It's more of a mind thing that might help more people that are scared there going to get done wrong to start going to hunts and like I said educate a lot of people the correct way.

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Old Post 07-01-2015 12:31 PM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Ya I just got back into it after being out 19 years. Use to see 30 or 40 dogs at a local hunt and now lucky to get 20. No wonder there are so many grnt dogs. Easy to do now if you got a decent dog not much comp like the old days. And trying to get the youth involved with rules is hard

Old Post 07-01-2015 01:07 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Just my opinion. If you want to see better judges, I think it should start at the club level. Clubs can hold their own training classes. Use a MOH to conduct the class, give club members a free hunt entry for attending. They could have a mandate of three classes before you could judge or maybe just one class, whatever the club thinks. I know it is hard to get some people to do any extra without some type of compensation. That is why you offer free hunt entry or what ever will motivate them. In order to have better clubs and more attendance, it has to start at home. I don't think there is any perfect fix, and I don't think that it is always UKC's place to come up with a solution to fix our problems. Most good clubs have made themselves good, and most bad clubs have made themselves bad. Again just my opinion.

Old Post 07-01-2015 01:21 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

A Judge's Card sounds great but I'm afraid it would be one of those good ideas that doesn't work well.

Tim, as for judge selection at Oaks and our other own events, we do select the judges and put them on cards first. I realize it happens sometimes that the handler-judge is not qualified, like your nephew that you mentioned. 90% of the time that is due to the handler being changed from the information we had originally. That's an easy fix though. He should have taken it to the MOH and asked him to select a different judge.

ssgied, I like your suggestions and the way you think. We do still have clubs that take the initiative to educate their members on rules and good judging. Kudos to those that do! It goes a long way. Unfortunately, we have others that don't seem to care much about doing things like that.

I personally love discussing niter hunt scenarios and the rules that apply to them. Sometimes I'm surprised how hard it is to get a decent little crowd to participate.

Old Post 07-01-2015 01:48 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

This falls back on the MOH and club director

I feel it is the responsiblity of them to go through the entries and pick a desirable judge. Especially at the local level, they have been around enough to know who is capable or not.

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Old Post 07-01-2015 02:32 PM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Allen, I know you guys are busy and I appreciate all that you do. If I owned UKC and after about the second time a rule question comes on the board and you have 5 different answers I would be pulling my hair out. Thing is I see them almost daily on here with a half dozen different answers. I know the one thing that makes the rules on the board difficult is the original question or happening starts to get changed as the post gets longer.

Anyway with all that said why couldn't once a week or every two weeks a one hour or two hour Webinar be held and the rules discussed from the beginning. These could be also kept and shared later or archived and made available on the board.
The biggest problems discussed first is a possibility.

Seriously if someone gave me UKC I would not take it unless I could get more people on the same page regarding rules.
Now the other side of the coin you guys actually see the results of knowing or not knowing the rules on Monday morning. Maybe it is not as bad as it appears on the board.

Last edited by on 07-01-2015 at 06:47 PM

Old Post 07-01-2015 06:44 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

That must be why I'm going bald! Haha.

Like your webinar idea.

Old Post 07-01-2015 10:23 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
Allen, I know you guys are busy and I appreciate all that you do. If I owned UKC and after about the second time a rule question comes on the board and you have 5 different answers I would be pulling my hair out. Thing is I see them almost daily on here with a half dozen different answers. I know the one thing that makes the rules on the board difficult is the original question or happening starts to get changed as the post gets longer.

Anyway with all that said why couldn't once a week or every two weeks a one hour or two hour Webinar be held and the rules discussed from the beginning. These could be also kept and shared later or archived and made available on the board.
The biggest problems discussed first is a possibility.

Seriously if someone gave me UKC I would not take it unless I could get more people on the same page regarding rules.
Now the other side of the coin you guys actually see the results of knowing or not knowing the rules on Monday morning. Maybe it is not as bad as it appears on the board.

Bruce, most of the rules have been discussed once or twice in the adviser. I don't think it does a whole lot of good because most either don't bother reading the rules or they just don't care. One thing I have always thought was lacking is reading comprehension. I can read it to them in black and white and they still want to argue because its not how someone else did it on the last cast they were on.

Look at how they are on here. A question can be asked, Allen can give the answer and 6 pages later they are still arguing about it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-01-2015 10:38 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

When AKC first developed their new rules, they printed out a 4 or 5 page leaflet that broke down every single rule/sub rule and explained it in great detail and explained how it was to be judged. It was very plainly worded, simple to understand and extremely helpful. I think Jerry Moll wrote it.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-01-2015 10:40 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

This message board ought ta have a "rules" only forum.....solely devoted to rule applications,interpretation etc.......... Passing an open book test don't mean squat !!!

Old Post 07-02-2015 05:40 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

One issue with the Advisor is you have to buy it, meaning you personally have to spend money, to provide a free service to someone else. And two, if folks aren't reading the back of the scorecard, they probably won't read a book on it.

I like the idea of a webinar, or portions of the Advisor doled out in weekly doses on this forum. There are many that aren't on a computer, that neither approach will help, but many that it will. As many have said, there are plenty of people on this forum asking questions, so maybe it's a great place to provide a weekly example, much like Bruce does with Garmin insights.

But I firmly agree with the idea that it needs to be managed at the club level. They're the ones that want satisfied customers. It's their reputation on the line, when a cast gets a terrible judge, or a terrible guide. People will forget the judge or guides name, but they'll remember the club that they never want to go back to.

It is asking folks to do more, but that's because life requires effort! If you want more members you'll need to do something to attract more members. If you want more participants at your events, you'll need to do something to drive more participation. If you already have great participation at your events, you'll need to figure out how to keep it that way.

Old Post 07-02-2015 06:23 PM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I like Tims idea of a test. Ukc could provide it online and give some sort of a certificate. The club could ask before draw out if anyone is certified and use them as judges first. There would still be issues but it would be making an effort to straiten out some of them.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-02-2015 08:05 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I like Tims idea of a test. Ukc could provide it online and give some sort of a certificate. The club could ask before draw out if anyone is certified and use them as judges first. There would still be issues but it would be making an effort to straiten out some of them.

I am afraid that very few would certify. Hard enough to get a guy that I know is capable to take the card.now. I am sure he won't go to the trouble. One thing that sends chills is when someone I don't know comes up to the table and says, "I can judge."

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Last edited by Tim MACHA on 07-03-2015 at 09:26 PM

Old Post 07-03-2015 04:36 AM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey

I am afraid that very few would certify. Hard enough to get a guy that I know is capable to take the card.now. I am sure he won't go to the trouble. One thing that sends chills is when someone I don't know comes up to the table and says, "I can judge."

Old Post 07-03-2015 04:36 AM
Jordan120
UKC Forum Member

Tim MACHA I think some type of certification would be great because I've been on a few casts where some guys have argued up and down with me about a rule calling and I explain it to them and show them on the back of the card of the ruling and they still say I don't know what I'm doing. I think if you have some type of certification it would be cut down on arguing and fighting and the hunts would get big again.

I've been hunting in the hunts since I was 9 years old and and have been judging since I was 12. I read the rules like no other and on casts I would pay attention on how people judge but also pay attention to my dog, and it payed off.

I have been selected to judge at autumn oaks and southeastern treeing walker days by ukc so I must have been doing something right judging casts

**Home Of**

PR Money's Little Rain
Nitech PR The Midnight Joker

Jordan Maynard
304-385-4266 --Home
304-784-2091 --Cell

Richard Maynard
304-272-3338 --Home
304-784-7551 --Cell

**Call us anytime if you have a question**

**RIP**
Grnitech Grch PR High Spirit Dan
~7-8-1999 to 10-6-2012~
PR Stylish Ruby[color=blue](Died with 2 UKC first)
PR WV'S High Power Aka FEFE (2008 WV State Champion)
(Died with 2 UKC first)

PR MY Fightin Side
(Died with a UKC 1st and 2nd)
~8-20-2007 to 12-7-2012~

Grnitech Grch PR Maynard's Nocturnal Nicki
10-1-2003 to 6-22-15

Old Post 07-03-2015 05:42 AM
Jordan120 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jordan120 Click here to Send Jordan120 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jordan120 Visit Jordan120's homepage! Find more posts by Jordan120 Add Jordan120 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Certifying any judge ain't going to change that judges comprehension level.

Old Post 07-03-2015 02:15 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Not everyone is cut out to judge, knowing a rule and being able to apply the rule in a given situation is two different things.

Old Post 07-03-2015 03:35 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

As long as this we don't have a judge that has final say, we're going to have these problems. If a baseball umpire had to get a panel together every time somebody questioned his call, a ball game would never end. When he makes a call, right or wrong, you live with it unless HE asks for help.

Old Post 07-03-2015 03:52 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
As long as this we don't have a judge that has final say, we're going to have these problems. If a baseball umpire had to get a panel together every time somebody questioned his call, a ball game would never end. When he makes a call, right or wrong, you live with it unless HE asks for help.

Baseball umps don't have a dog in the hunt now do they? You really want a hunting judge, with a dog competing directly against your dog, to have the last word?

Old Post 07-03-2015 05:59 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Baseball umps don't have a dog in the hunt now do they? You really want a hunting judge, with a dog competing directly against your dog, to have the last word?
No I don't but, as long as four people that don't trust each other are competing and all have equal authority, it's gonna be a mess. Especially when nobody's dog babbles. Nobody's dog slick trees. Everybody's dog "don't start nothin', but he don't take no s**t off no other dog."

Old Post 07-03-2015 06:29 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

They don't have equal authority. The other three don't have any authority at all, they just have a vote.

Old Post 07-03-2015 06:50 PM