UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Im new to the coon hunting sport Any tips
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

Looking for Any tips

Got my first Pup <bluetick female>smokey river bred/ uchtman as a wedding gift from my bride. Ive always been intrigued with the coon hunting sport as i watched my daddy and granddad do it for several years, they are redbone guys but I'm going a different route. My pup <loretta> is 2months 4 days ... what and when should i introduce this pup to the sport? If not time to do it now what can i be doing with her until its time to start the drags and roll cages ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by T3XASgrain903 on 06-29-2015 at 08:08 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-29-2015 07:31 PM
T3XASgrain903 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T3XASgrain903 Click here to Send T3XASgrain903 a Private Message Click Here to Email T3XASgrain903 Find more posts by T3XASgrain903 Add T3XASgrain903 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

I'd spend a lot of time connecting with the pup. Some things you can work on before hunting are how to lead, come , load , short rides in the truck with a little reward for doing things you want . Daytime walks in the woods are good experience for a pup makes them more comfortable for when you do start hauling them at night. Have fun and good luck with your puppy. It's a wonderful sport with lots to enjoy but it's not always easy you'll have some problems along the way just stick with it and keep trying you'll have some rewards for your effort. Try and find some knowledgeable hunters in your area to maybe help get you started on the right track. Happy Hunting !!!

Old Post 06-29-2015 11:02 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the tips those are greatly Appreciated !!

Old Post 06-29-2015 11:07 PM
T3XASgrain903 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T3XASgrain903 Click here to Send T3XASgrain903 a Private Message Click Here to Email T3XASgrain903 Find more posts by T3XASgrain903 Add T3XASgrain903 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duckassassin
UKC Forum Member

you started off with the right model dog....dont let them Walker guys tell you different LOL i would just bond with it. Im no pro puppy/dog trainer but let it be a pup. Pick up a walk with wick book. They are good readin.

Old Post 06-29-2015 11:16 PM
Duckassassin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duckassassin Click here to Send Duckassassin a Private Message Find more posts by Duckassassin Add Duckassassin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

Yes sir I ordered that book the other day ... Thanks for the tip as well ready to trap coons and introduce just hope I don't get to anxious yah know

Old Post 06-29-2015 11:22 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Here's a tip I just learned a few minutes ago, when you get tired of getting your hands chewed on by your pup, spray skeeter dope on your hands.

Old Post 06-29-2015 11:46 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Duckassassin
you started off with the right model dog....dont let them Walker guys tell you different LOL i would just bond with it. Im no pro puppy/dog trainer but let it be a pup. Pick up a walk with wick book. They are good readin.

I was going to make a remark about rookie mistake with the blue pup but since he's new I didn't roast him . YET !!! lol

Old Post 06-30-2015 12:09 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duckassassin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Prince
I was going to make a remark about rookie mistake with the blue pup but since he's new I didn't roast him . YET !!! lol

We will protect him here on the darkside LOL

Old Post 06-30-2015 12:33 AM
Duckassassin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duckassassin Click here to Send Duckassassin a Private Message Find more posts by Duckassassin Add Duckassassin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Is a bluetick any kin to a bluebone !!!

Old Post 06-30-2015 12:36 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

The blue tick guys say yes but the blue bone guys say no

Old Post 06-30-2015 12:51 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

But only we know about the shhhhh ? (Secret ingredient )

Old Post 06-30-2015 01:02 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

One more tip is don't pay much attention to yadkintar or sleepy head . I think they are both full of the secret ingredient. Lol

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:00 AM
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

Haha ... From what I've read and have been told is no they are of no kin

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:08 AM
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

But the info I was getting we're from pro treeing walker hands !! 😉

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:08 AM
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

Trust me my grand dad has being raising Cane with me about get a blue tick over a red bone or treeing walker

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:13 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
One more tip is don't pay much attention to yadkintar or sleepy head . I think they are both full of the secret ingredient. Lol

X 2 were full of something

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:16 AM
walkerhound17
UKC Forum Member

You will be happy with a blue dog till you decide it's time to win then you'll buy a walker

GR.Nite ch Goose Creek Ruby(RIP)
Nite ch high voltage hook (R.I.P.)
GrniteCh skylers boy Garrison creek

Marc Mcwhorter
317-287-9539

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:24 AM
walkerhound17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerhound17 Click here to Send walkerhound17 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerhound17 Find more posts by walkerhound17 Add walkerhound17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T3XASgrain903
But the info I was getting we're from pro treeing walker hands !! 😉

I noticed the words pro and treeing walker in the same sentence. You'll see that a lot

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:46 AM
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by walkerhound17
You will be happy with a blue dog till you decide it's time to win then you'll buy a walker

Yeah, I'd say you might have just jumped the gun a little...if you had asked me BEFORE you got a bluetick I would have warned you not to do that. At least not yet...first, like everyone else, get a walker, then after a year or so of walking to empty trees for nothing you will get sick of it and get rid of it and have all that walker nonsense out of your system...then go get the real dog!!!!! of course some guys never get over it...that's the ones that tell everyone it was a squirrel when the tree is slick.
As it stands, in six months to a year you will go get a walker and be back to square one.
Seriously, best of luck with the blue dog!!!!! One things for certain...in six months to a year you will be hackin on everyone like the rest of us no matter what kind of dog you have.

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:51 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

To be a pro that means you have to be good at somthing I couldn't even win a one dog cast right now but one of these days boy there going to put me in the movies there going big star out of me all I got to do is act naturally lol!

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:54 AM
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
To be a pro that means you have to be good at somthing I couldn't even win a one dog cast right now but one of these days boy there going to put me in the movies there going big star out of me all I got to do is act naturally lol!

One more thing...listen to what Yadklntar tells you...he's an honest man. Which is what we call "rare" in this business!!! At least he's man enough to tell you his situation!!!!

'Couldn't win a one dog cast!!!" That's hilarious!!!!!

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:57 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerhound17
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Yeah, I'd say you might have just jumped the gun a little...if you had asked me BEFORE you got a bluetick I would have warned you not to do that. At least not yet...first, like everyone else, get a walker, then after a year or so of walking to empty trees for nothing you will get sick of it and get rid of it and have all that walker nonsense out of your system...then go get the real dog!!!!! of course some guys never get over it...that's the ones that tell everyone it was a squirrel when the tree is slick.
As it stands, in six months to a year you will go get a walker and be back to square one.
Seriously, best of luck with the blue dog!!!!! One things for certain...in six months to a year you will be hackin on everyone like the rest of us no matter what kind of dog you have.

Help me out I can't seem to find the last blueticks world ch, must be missing that page. I see English even a plot but no blueticks.

GR.Nite ch Goose Creek Ruby(RIP)
Nite ch high voltage hook (R.I.P.)
GrniteCh skylers boy Garrison creek

Marc Mcwhorter
317-287-9539

Old Post 06-30-2015 02:57 AM
walkerhound17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerhound17 Click here to Send walkerhound17 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerhound17 Find more posts by walkerhound17 Add walkerhound17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Don't let msinc fool you he gave up the bluebones he's hunting a walker out of Mr Clean

Old Post 06-30-2015 03:02 AM
msinc
Banned

quote:
Don't let msinc fool you he gave up the bluebones he's hunting a walker out of Mr Clean

Hey, Hey!!! I said yadkintar was an honest man...I never said I was!!!!!

Old Post 06-30-2015 03:13 AM
T3XASgrain903
UKC Forum Member

I'll stick to my blue tick for now !!

Old Post 06-30-2015 03:20 AM