UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The National Hound and Tree Dog Association
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

The National Hound and Tree Dog Association

In partnership with Joe Newlin, Dan Kirschner and my wife Valerie Schmidt; we have officially launched a National Non-profit dedicated to our sportsmen/women!

Please check out NHTDA.org

The Home page and FAQ page, may be of particular interest if you are wanting to know what this organization is about.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-04-2014 03:32 AM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

This is the culmination of a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" on Dave and I's part. We just think that a nationally based organization is a great thing for this sport.....

Give us a look....see what we stand for....and sign up for the web site and the message board over there!

Old Post 03-04-2014 04:21 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I'm really surprised.....Just no interest? Don't think it's needed? Too complicated?

I'm here to tell you when some tree hugging anit hunter is campaining for taking away your right to free cast your dog....You might wish you had shown some interest in this organization.

Old Post 03-04-2014 03:04 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Telstar
UKC Forum Member

I tried to search and bring your site up, but can't find it...
could you post a hot link to it....

Old Post 03-04-2014 03:26 PM
Telstar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Telstar Click here to Send Telstar a Private Message Click Here to Email Telstar Find more posts by Telstar Add Telstar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RED REBELS
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Telstar
I tried to search and bring your site up, but can't find it...
could you post a hot link to it....

http://www.nhtda.org/

Old Post 03-04-2014 04:09 PM
RED REBELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RED REBELS Click here to Send RED REBELS a Private Message Find more posts by RED REBELS Add RED REBELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Telstar
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Red

Old Post 03-04-2014 05:27 PM
Telstar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Telstar Click here to Send Telstar a Private Message Click Here to Email Telstar Find more posts by Telstar Add Telstar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plott55
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
This is the culmination of a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" on Dave and I's part. We just think that a nationally based organization is a great thing for this sport.....

Give us a look....see what we stand for....and sign up for the web site and the message board over there!

Why don't you guys just give it up!!!!! It takes more than=="BLOOD,SWEAT AND TEARS"== for intention like yours to materialize; it takes ="ORGANIZATIONAL KNOWLEDGE"=you guys haven't shown much of that.

From reading your post you guys show to be highly educated but liking a small degree in common judgement .

We will call it a "KNACK" you guys don't have the knack to make a success with your TV shows and moves that you keep undertaking.

Just look at Wayne Pearson!!!!! An old country boy from South Georgia. He started small and has gotten big. a natural born. I have known his family all my life.

Remember==we people are like our dogs===If we're not born with the right genes we have to do without. so it looks like you guys weren't born with the talent to create a movement OR star on TV.

Old Post 03-04-2014 05:34 PM
Plott55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plott55 Click here to Send Plott55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Plott55 Find more posts by Plott55 Add Plott55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to thank Robert for exercising his right to free speech. And I will continue to thank everyone else, for whatever feedback they choose to provide.

But in fairness, I think I should take the opportunity to respond to Robert's statements.

One, not continuing the TV show was by choice! I and Joe could have continued to produce the show at our cost, and make nothing more than pennies for our time, along with some great gear. But we decided that we had other goals and priorities in our life. But for 90% of the producers and hosts, you see on television, that is what they call "success". Other than a few like Waddel and Shockey, nobody makes any money on outdoor television! But unlike us, others choose to make that commitment at the expense of other demands on their lives, like family. I for one, decided to not make that choice!

At the same time, Joe and I were both repeatedly told that we couldn't put hounds and coon hunting on TV! "It was too technically challenging" and "nobody would support it"! I'm betting Robert was in the camp, of not supporting it. But guess what, we did put our sport on National TV (available to 65 million households) and we did so for two years! So I guess they were wrong about our being able. With regards to supporting it, perhaps too many found themselves in Robert's camp and it becaming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

With regards to Robert's other claims... well he is partially correct. I actually am blessed with a good deal of education, that I paid for myself! I have a BS in Engineering, and a Masters in Business. And having grown up on a small dairy farm, I would argue that I have a PHD in "country". In fact cleaning manure for many years, is partially how I paid for my education!

And with regards to "organizational knowledge"... well, when I'm not busy defending myself on this forum and starting a non-profit business to hopefully help folks like Robert and other Houndsmen and Tree Dog enthusiasts, I'm a Vice President for a Fortune 500 company, managing a 450 million dollar, business portfolio. And I'm pretty sure my boss, would dispute Robert's claim about my organizational skills.

But having said all that, I do have time, and will continue to make time to help promote and protect the sport I dearly love. Regardless of what others may say. And I hope, others will make time, and perhaps donate some resources, to the same worthy cause.

Old Post 03-04-2014 06:26 PM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

KUDOS to Joe & Dave

As far as I am concerned it is long over due! Name one sporting group who doesn't have a national association.

Does any one have what it takes? That will remain foreseen, but anyone willing to tackle such an undertaking will get my support.

As far as organization, there are plenty of sporting groups who have all ready built that apple cart. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look and see what already works out there and what doesn't.

I have actually been throwing around the idea that hound hunters needed a national association for the last 2 years. I was even thinking of righting an article in all the hound magazines regarding the topic. The only thing holding me up was the reluctance to get involved at this time in my life with such a project. I made a promise to my wife to hold off on getting too involved with politics of any sort until my sons are all graduated high school.

Joe and Dave if I may make a suggestion, get hold of all the different state associations, and ask for their support and/or involvement. A good starting point would be just the put together a network of contacts in all the different state associations. It would be nice if we could benefit from other's hard work so every one doesn't have to cover the same ground over and over.

If hound hunters do not see the need, then all I can say is we will all reap the oats we sow. Federal and state governments wants to control us. Animal Rights organizations what to destroy our life style. I don't know maybe you all would rather sit home and watch the grammy awards then to cut a hound down a hardwood riverbottom.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 03-04-2014 08:06 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I don't even feel the need to respond to Robert's comments. Dave was pretty eloquent in his response. The simple fact that we were successful in doing what every other producer said could not be done....that will speak for itself.

Now, for those of you that have gone to http://NHTDA.org and tried to register... I apologize. I spent a long time testing this web site, and while I thought I had it ready for prime time...the one thing that I could not do over and over was to create accounts...I ran out of email addresses and login names.... Imagine my surprise to find out that folks were trying to sign up for the site and were not being successful.

I have that issue fixed now. Sorry for any inconvenience, but give it a try now.

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:04 PM
Andy Bates
UKC Forum Member

I like the idea of a national group to support our sport, and the idea of Helping houndsman sounds noble. That being said I personally would be more likely to donate if the money was going to fight PETA and the likes in court, which from my understanding it does not look like are the intentions of NHTDA. Educating youth sounds great but when it boils down to it, it is in the courts where it is "Us vs. Them" and whoever has the most money for lobbyist and lawyers is going to succeed in the end. Now, I am not trying knock your group in anyway and I applaud your efforts. I am just stating what I would like to see. Good luck.

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:10 PM
Andy Bates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bates Click here to Send Andy Bates a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bates Find more posts by Andy Bates Add Andy Bates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Thank You Joe, Dave and whom ever else that has gotten on board to support this much needed organization . This is certainly a big undertaking and If I may add, A MUCH NEEDED UNDERTAKING as well.

Joe and Dave are right in that if we plan to continue to free cast our hounds, we better get organized at the national level, in an effort to fight all the negative stuff that gets put on our plate.

Larry I agree with you 100%. I will now go check out their site. Thank You!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:11 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markknepp
UKC Forum Member

I like the idea. Kudos.

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:13 PM
markknepp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markknepp Click here to Send markknepp a Private Message Click Here to Email markknepp Find more posts by markknepp Add markknepp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Andy - long-term, finding a way to combat those organizations, that would like to do away with our way of life, is absolutely where we will be. But as you may have seen on our website, those organizations have 100s of millions of dollars, and at this point, our bank account has a few IOUs!

So... we need to get organized, and do what we can to help one another and our common goals, within the realm of affordability! Once we build-up our membership and our budgets, we will re-define our strategy. At this point in time, we'll need to take smaller steps.

Dave

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:24 PM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bates
I like the idea of a national group to support our sport, and the idea of Helping houndsman sounds noble. That being said I personally would be more likely to donate if the money was going to fight PETA and the likes in court, which from my understanding it does not look like are the intentions of NHTDA. Educating youth sounds great but when it boils down to it, it is in the courts where it is "Us vs. Them" and whoever has the most money for lobbyist and lawyers is going to succeed in the end. Now, I am not trying knock your group in anyway and I applaud your efforts. I am just stating what I would like to see. Good luck.

Andy,

You know that eventually that is what we would like to be able to do as well. However, at this time, this is a grass roots organization. We have big dreams, but we just don't have pockets deep enough to take on the groups that you mention. They report themselves that they have combined yearly operational budgets of over 200 million dollars a year. Right or wrong, money talks loudest...

The fact that we do indeed have some operational experience and organizational skills (I spent 15 years as a project manager for a fortune 500 company), we know that it is a recipe for disaster if we step into the batters box and point to the right field fence on our first day of little league. We are willing to go the distance, and to work hard...but not ready to take on PETA and HSUS, the local and state governments of all 50 states...on day one!

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:25 PM
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Way to go guys.Very good cause and yes our hound hunting rights need defended.As the for the negative post above that ant the first arrogant know it all post he's made.Theres all kinds of kinds.

Old Post 03-04-2014 10:59 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

What better way to stimulate dues paying membership than to offer some legal guidance to members that have hound related legal problems.
A National group called the oathkeepers are doing this with second ammendment issues and it is driving their membership through the roof.

Old Post 03-04-2014 11:02 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bates
UKC Forum Member

10-4 Joe and Dave, I understand that completely. Thanks for what you're doing.

Old Post 03-04-2014 11:51 PM
Andy Bates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bates Click here to Send Andy Bates a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bates Find more posts by Andy Bates Add Andy Bates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy
UKC Forum Member

Kudos to you guys for getting this off the ground. Something like this is long overdue. Hopefully state organizations & breed organizations will support this. Well done.

Old Post 03-05-2014 12:26 AM
brogy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brogy Click here to Send brogy a Private Message Click Here to Email brogy Find more posts by brogy Add brogy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Mark,

We are looking into involving the state organizations, but finding all of those contacts and getting our organization into circulation takes a little time.

We are hoping that not only the state and breed organizations get involved, but the Kennel Clubs, Safari Intl., and some of the other nationally based organizations like National Wild Turkey Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Qualil Unlimited and others sporting groups as well.

Time will tell. In the mean time, we are going to do what we can. We are starting out with our "Houndsmen helping Houndsment" effort and we will build from there.

Old Post 03-05-2014 01:20 AM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Joe,

I had a rather long involved list of hound organizations when I was doing the study.

What I did was gather up 12 months of Cooners, Bloodlines, and Full Crys, and made a list with contacts and addresses as a starting spot.

Guys,

Each state has a procedure for changing game laws. It really makes a difference to learn those procedures and to work within the system. It works to make contacts in DNR Offices and State Government before there are any issues.

Today's society is really about contacts and networks. The animal rights people know it, and even our state DNR offices now it. Many DNR offices attend regional conferences to share research, data, and pressing issues.

It only makes sense that hound hunters do the same.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 03-05-2014 03:46 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I paid up for a year. Whether or not I ever pay up again depends totally on what I see out this org in the year ahead. Here's tha thing Joe, between HTDA, NRA, breed association memberships, club membership, and now NHTA , my funds available for memberships is not unlimited. You can't do everything so I will be picking and choosing and only those who show results get my reup.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 03-05-2014 04:31 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Jim,

You are in the same boat as most, and what you're offering and expecting, is only fair!

Old Post 03-05-2014 07:15 PM
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

BTT

Old Post 03-08-2014 05:40 PM
Blackwater Pete
UKC Forum Member

Hopefully this works but right now in Wisconsin we have a organization called Wisconsin Sporting Dogs Assoc. and to get people to get involved is like pulling eye teeth good luck to you guys.

Proud member of PKC
Jason Denzer

Old Post 03-08-2014 10:57 PM
Blackwater Pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwater Pete Click here to Send Blackwater Pete a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackwater Pete Find more posts by Blackwater Pete Add Blackwater Pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote