UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Why not train to come in when toned
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jmiller85
UKC Forum Member

Why not train to come in when toned

Just wondering why some hunters r saying they won't train their dog to come in when toned. I don't now but use to have a hound that when I hit the tone she came running she always listen good and was a good coon dog. Just wondering if hunters were for it or against it and why.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-06-2015 09:17 PM
Jmiller85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmiller85 Click here to Send Jmiller85 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmiller85 Find more posts by Jmiller85 Add Jmiller85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SwampCreekHound
UKC Forum Member

For me after they are trained to come when toned that's all the training system can be used for. Such as if u bump a dog for running deer after teaching it to come when toned, in my experience the dog takes the bump as come to the truck not as stop running trash. I ruined a nice pup this way. Started off as a get gone type of pup the end result was a pup (18 months old) that would not leave the truck with a tracking collar on.

Old Post 07-06-2015 09:57 PM
SwampCreekHound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SwampCreekHound Click here to Send SwampCreekHound a Private Message Find more posts by SwampCreekHound Add SwampCreekHound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

I use the tone as a better get your tail to me asap!!! Myself but a lot use it as a flushing tool to let there dogs know that if they keep doing what they are doing being wallowing a track are running junk are whatever this there warning to quite are there not gonna like what's coming next !! To each his own and I see there point but in my case when I have been to a lot of hunts that just don't have the woods to hold a big hunter and if a guide are judge tells me that hey there getting close to this or that all I needed to do was turn mine alpha on and mine were safe !!cause they were gonna be hunting me then !! I also whistle break mine at the same time !! But I think that's the reason a lot do not want them coming back on a tone signal!!

Old Post 07-06-2015 10:16 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

Mine is trained to COME at the tone. I also use a voice command at the same time if he's within hearing distance of me. If the collar quits I still have voice. If the dog is smart and the trainer is too the dog will know the difference between tone and shock If you'd rather use a whistle than tone it's up to you. The tone is a whistle the dog wears that you control.

Old Post 07-06-2015 10:58 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I tone mine to come in,,wouldn't have it any other way,,some say once you use tone for coming in,that's all you can use the tone for,,I say they are dead wrong,,I also use it for when they are doing something they ain't supposed to be doing,,when I want them to come in,I just tone for 1 second,and they come immediately and if they do something I don't want them doing,,I tone them for 5 or more seconds and they stop doing it,,and it doesn't bring them in,,they know the difference between the short and long tones,,takes some training but well worth it

Old Post 07-06-2015 10:59 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

when i hit the tone my coondog changes to a birddog and starts pointing grouse then if i hit it twice back to coon

nah i have one now that is trained to come to me when toned the other is like above, depending on how he gets toned is what hell do, and there is always the case of flat out screw you and your tone im doing what i want

and to be completely honest with you i didnt try to train the other one like that if i hit it once itll getem moving or quit runnin a road and if i kept hittin it hell just come to me naturally

Last edited by dchartt on 07-07-2015 at 12:09 AM

Old Post 07-07-2015 12:05 AM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jrkb2012
I tone mine to come in,,wouldn't have it any other way,,some say once you use tone for coming in,that's all you can use the tone for,,I say they are dead wrong,,I also use it for when they are doing something they ain't supposed to be doing,,when I want them to come in,I just tone for 1 second,and they come immediately and if they do something I don't want them doing,,I tone them for 5 or more seconds and they stop doing it,,and it doesn't bring them in,,they know the difference between the short and long tones,,takes some training but well worth it

That's smarter than me or my dog. Lol

Old Post 07-07-2015 12:10 AM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duckassassin
UKC Forum Member

My buddy has a dog when you honk the horn on the truck he'll come in. He dont have a shock/tone collar. Just uses a stick and a the horn on the truck

Old Post 07-07-2015 12:25 AM
Duckassassin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duckassassin Click here to Send Duckassassin a Private Message Find more posts by Duckassassin Add Duckassassin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

I used the tone to train my dog not to hunt in a straight line

I started out nipping him when he would get out to about 500yd. Then started watching the Garmin and when he would get to about that range, i would tone him. Before I knew it, he was ranging in an arc around me.

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Old Post 07-07-2015 04:23 AM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I use my tone button for training not recall when I want one to come I'll hollor at him. When I tone I want him to get gone. This keeps from haveing to shock so much which will short a lot of dogs out.

Old Post 07-07-2015 06:42 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ky Show Girl
UKC Forum Member

I have never been 1 to stand in the middle road yelling and blowing the horn for a dog.i might get ask to leave.he couldn't here me to far in these hills any way.i like the tone.

Old Post 07-09-2015 12:22 AM
Ky Show Girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ky Show Girl Click here to Send Ky Show Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Ky Show Girl Add Ky Show Girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

had all my beagles tone broke i never tone a dog on trash i just zap em and not say a word

Old Post 07-09-2015 01:39 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

had all my beagles tone broke i never tone a dog on trash i just zap em and not say a word

Old Post 07-09-2015 01:39 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

My dogs generally hunt big and the tone (to come in) allows me to hunt around this water and get them back. If I have to bump one with shock it will normally stop what i'ts doing and keep hunting. It's the way to go for me.

Old Post 07-09-2015 01:50 PM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matthew Bell
UKC Forum Member

msinc typed up a good post not too long ago which changed my mind on the subject.

Old Post 07-09-2015 02:36 PM
Matthew Bell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew Bell Click here to Send Matthew Bell a Private Message Click Here to Email Matthew Bell Find more posts by Matthew Bell Add Matthew Bell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

It doesn't happen often, but having a dog tree in a farmer's barn in the middle of the night can be an ordeal.

With the tone for recall, it is no longer an issue.

It never ceases to amaze me of all the information that is available on the correct use of e-collars that so many still use them incorrectly.

Hmmm I have never seen a lab guy complaining that an e-collar ruined his dog.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-09-2015 03:06 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. using tone to come is a great tool. My dogs know the difference between a tone and a shock. If you shock your dogs in while training then yes they will most likely come in to a shock. If tone is used for training to come in then the dog will certainly know the difference between shock and tone. shocking is for trash breaking. Learning to come is done in the back yard. the more work you do with young dogs at home will mean more pleasure in the woods.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 07-09-2015 05:58 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Bell
msinc typed up a good post not too long ago which changed my mind on the subject.

Thank you sir, very kind of you to say so. To each his own, but to me buying an $800.00 piece of the most advanced training gear we have seen yet and then using it to recall a dog is right up there with buying a Lear Jet, parking outside your business and then using it for a break room or someplace to eat your lunch!!!!

Old Post 07-09-2015 11:18 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Thank you sir, very kind of you to say so. To each his own, but to me buying an $800.00 piece of the most advanced training gear we have seen yet and then using it to recall a dog is right up there with buying a Lear Jet, parking outside your business and then using it for a break room or someplace to eat your lunch!!!!
I can think of nothing more important than getting my dog back when I want him if he's too far to hear my voice or a whistle.

Old Post 07-10-2015 01:17 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote