UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where did you go wrong!!
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Starting pups to early,Also trying to work a 3rd or 4th dog.I can operate very well with 2 and maybe sometimes even work a 3rd dog alone into my program depending on the age and level of the 3, In reality, by me owning a 3rd dog has really been a thorn in my side, Many times I tell myself I will keep a pup and get it started and sell it...Problem is if it turns into a nice pup I can,t let a good prospect go.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-05-2015 12:57 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SwampCreekHound
UKC Forum Member

The gyp I am hunting now, I have set back really bad by letting a younger pup run with her to soon. I started her alone and she was doing great, she would take a coon track anyway it came hot or cold and she don't know what give up means. she treed 43 coons alone and as far out as 4 miles from where I dropped her out at (during rut). Then the mess up was I got a black and tan pup that was shy and I started turning him out with her and at first the gyp would out run him and do everything she could to get alone but the black and tan was getting better and better came around to be a nice pup so I split them up and started to hunt them alone. The out come is my gyp don't wont to leave the truck alone at all but she is starting to improve.

Last edited by SwampCreekHound on 07-05-2015 at 03:31 PM

Old Post 07-05-2015 02:18 PM
SwampCreekHound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SwampCreekHound Click here to Send SwampCreekHound a Private Message Find more posts by SwampCreekHound Add SwampCreekHound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Verbal commands

Until this year I was strictly a pleasure hunter. Now I'm starting to dabble hear and there with the comps. I train all my pups not to use a leash in the woods. Which is great except when you drop 3 dogs in a comp hunt and your dog stands there waiting on "hunt em up" to come out your mouth. And of course you say it and then your accused of encouraging a dog to hunt. Long story short. My next pup will be trained to hunt off the leash.

Old Post 07-05-2015 03:07 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

I would have resisted the urge to take young dogs to the hunts . I have had one dog that could hold his own at 12 months skill wise anyway with anything . I would wait until the dog was consistant , broke and mature . Ive seen alot of so called Nite Champions at under 2 that are horrible and now mentally disturbed from being or attempted to make them always split deep and lonely or get trashy due to all the dogs being 1 on the scorecard or getting fanged by the Gators lol . Ill just wait until their solid and if they dont get solid at least the guys I draw out with wont be subjected to my junky dog lol.

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 07-05-2015 07:50 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wrinkletreeknls
UKC Forum Member

Walk hunting....... Walking a pup in the general direction you want it to hunt..... IMO makes a lazier dog later in life

'PR' HAYES MOONLITE BO
deceased

'PR' SHAVER'S WEST FORK WRINKLES

Old Post 07-06-2015 01:45 AM
wrinkletreeknls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wrinkletreeknls Click here to Send wrinkletreeknls a Private Message Click Here to Email wrinkletreeknls Find more posts by wrinkletreeknls Add wrinkletreeknls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wrinkletreeknls
UKC Forum Member

Walk hunting....... Walking a pup in the general direction you want it to hunt..... IMO makes a lazier dog later in life

'PR' HAYES MOONLITE BO
deceased

wrinkletreeknls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wrinkletreeknls Click here to Send wrinkletreeknls a Private Message Click Here to Email wrinkletreeknls Find more posts by wrinkletreeknls Add wrinkletreeknls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wrinkletreeknls
UKC Forum Member

'PR' HAYES MOONLITE BO
deceased

DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Knuckols
I would have resisted the urge to take young dogs to the hunts . I have had one dog that could hold his own at 12 months skill wise anyway with anything . I would wait until the dog was consistant , broke and mature . Ive seen alot of so called Nite Champions at under 2 that are horrible and now mentally disturbed from being or attempted to make them always split deep and lonely or get trashy due to all the dogs being 1 on the scorecard or getting fanged by the Gators lol . Ill just wait until their solid and if they dont get solid at least the guys I draw out with wont be subjected to my junky dog lol.

Thanks for that response!

Old Post 07-06-2015 02:35 AM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

wrong

got back into it after being out for awhile, pulling coons up trees and watching him tree ike a machine, dont do that with a rat or nailor dog. one more thing keep your hands off a young hound as much as possible they;re just pups not mature hounds letm run and have some fun.

Old Post 07-06-2015 05:46 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

Coon squaller mouth or bought squaller is one of the worse things you can do at the tree to hurt a young dog.

Pup will turn around and look at who is doing all that squalling and the squaller will never know that the pup is not barking up the tree but looking straight at him barking seen it happen too many times.

The one that hurts the worse though happened about 18 months ago and it was using the shocker with out any training before hand had got by with it all my life but could have ruined the best dog i ever bought with out going into details right now dog will not bark on track or tree but will tree three or 4 times a night and stay maybe 10 minutes and then on to tree another one always travels 5 to 10 miles a night but we are bringing him home most the time now.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 07-06-2015 06:46 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by James B Grice
Starting pups to early,Also trying to work a 3rd or 4th dog.I can operate very well with 2 and maybe sometimes even work a 3rd dog alone into my program depending on the age and level of the 3, In reality, by me owning a 3rd dog has really been a thorn in my side, Many times I tell myself I will keep a pup and get it started and sell it...Problem is if it turns into a nice pup I can,t let a good prospect go.

Just send shakers brother on up my way James!!

Dont shoot a porky out to your dog then shock him off it!

Last edited by dchartt on 07-06-2015 at 07:10 PM

Old Post 07-06-2015 06:56 PM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Shaking out and rerunning coons. Totally ruined my first dog. No better way to make one loose on the tree. I learned two lessons on first dog. Don't rerun coons and just because someone has hunted dogs 20-30 years don't mean they can train one . Old timers told me to jump them coons out and she would really make a track and tree dog. Well they were half right.

Old Post 07-06-2015 09:35 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don't think it was so much about shaking the coon out to the old timers as it was who could climb the biggest tree !! Last time I climbed a tree a big boar hog put me there and after I got over being scared I was pretty impressed with myself lol.

Old Post 07-06-2015 09:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I have a donut belly, makes climbing difficult

Old Post 07-06-2015 10:26 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Meeeee too !!

Old Post 07-06-2015 10:49 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I wish I had shocked one mine pups less, unfortunately he tends to be trashy. Shock him for trashing, he doesn't hunt. Don't shock him he gets trashy. Go figure.

Old Post 07-07-2015 03:36 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildbill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
I wish I had shocked one mine pups less, unfortunately he tends to be trashy. Shock him for trashing, he doesn't hunt. Don't shock him he gets trashy. Go figure.

sounds like you need go back old school and sit him up for old fashon switching or bath him with breaking scent or as seen a few times pour half bottle down his neck,,,that dont work,,put him on a deer wagon..

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Old Post 07-07-2015 07:30 PM
wildbill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill Click here to Send wildbill a Private Message Click Here to Email wildbill Visit wildbill's homepage! Find more posts by wildbill Add wildbill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudcreek
UKC Forum Member

Several years ago

let someone talk me into not going to a 7 month old pup that was treeing alone his first night out when older dogs were running a track. He said oh that young dog don't have a coon. Old dogs didn't tree at all and went back across creek and treed on young dogs tree after he had left. So 2 things I did wrong with a nice young prospect didn't go to his first tree and never hunted him alone. Now if a young dog trees I go to them no matter what.

No more will I show them a caged coon after they have shown they can track and tree a coon.

Old Post 07-07-2015 10:57 PM
mudcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudcreek Click here to Send mudcreek a Private Message Visit mudcreek's homepage! Find more posts by mudcreek Add mudcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I will never take another pup to the woods until I'm sure he's accustomed to the sound of a 22 rifle. It's easier to get them used to the rifle than to undo the damage it can cause.

Old Post 07-08-2015 12:26 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote