UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ok Alen/ukc
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Whitelightnin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
as long as four people that don't trust each other are competing

I think things go much smoother when the hunts aren't approached with this mentality. Not everyone is out to get you. Some just want to compete and see the best dog win.

IT'LL TAKE A LOCOMOTIVE TO PULL HIM!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-05-2015 08:24 PM
Whitelightnin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whitelightnin Click here to Send Whitelightnin a Private Message Find more posts by Whitelightnin Add Whitelightnin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Well said

What happen to just the best dog wins

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Old Post 07-05-2015 11:04 PM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If you make sure you got a coondog before you leave the house you only got to worry about 10 percent of all this stuff anyways !!!

Old Post 07-05-2015 11:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

If you guys want better judges then start by getting rid of the difficult and stupid rules that have nothing to do with scoring dogs that are treeing coon.

For starters get rid of not having to strike your dog in the first minute of every turn loose. Go back to the old rule that in the 1st 3 minutes of the hunt you don't need to strike your dog after that you need to strike your dog on or before the 3rd bark no matter how often you recut dogs.

2nd get rid of the stationary tree rule that one is just plum stupid and over abused by slick handlers to get dogs minus by inexperienced hunters and handlers!

319-201-8445

Old Post 07-06-2015 04:25 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by berger
If you guys want better judges then start by getting rid of the difficult and stupid rules that have nothing to do with scoring dogs that are treeing coon.

For starters get rid of not having to strike your dog in the first minute of every turn loose. Go back to the old rule that in the 1st 3 minutes of the hunt you don't need to strike your dog after that you need to strike your dog on or before the 3rd bark no matter how often you recut dogs.

2nd get rid of the stationary tree rule that one is just plum stupid and over abused by slick handlers to get dogs minus by inexperienced hunters and handlers!

where did you hunt that you had 3 min to strike your dog it use to be you had to strike it on or before the 3rd bark as far as I can remember you never had 3 MIn. and as far as the stationary rule I stood one night in a hunt and a mans dog treed for 15 Min and he never treed his dog, the other dogs treed and had a coon , time ran out and his dog had a coon and he would have won if he would have treed it. all a person need s to do is know the rules and know how to apply them.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 07-06-2015 08:29 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bolden1
UKC Forum Member

Skip

I agree with u but the problem I'm seeing like at the bigger hunts is ukc and other kc's are trying to put the most honest person as the judge. That's good but most of the time these people either don't know the rules or there timid and scared to minus people in a cast cause they don't want to make anyone mad. I know it can't be perfect but they need to try come up with something. I'll be honest with you I was a hot head when I was younger and all I would have needed was a tuff judge to warn me put me in my spot. I've had to do it to some young handlers from time to time and some older ones, lol. But honestly for the most part I continue to have good competitive fun cast.

2005 ukc Wldntch Grntch Bolden & Turpins
Insane jane. Handler/past owner
2005 over all setwd over all winner nt.ch
Bentley high dollar Lucy
2006 akc national pup champion Drop Dead
Fred ( Handler/ past owner)
2008 Ukc Ky State Champion Grntch High X
Pectations ( Handler / past owner)
2009 akc Ky State Champion Grntch
Hardwood X Press ( handler/ trainer)

Gr.Nt.Ch Big D & Joplins Super Sally

Old Post 07-06-2015 09:02 PM
Bolden1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bolden1 Click here to Send Bolden1 a Private Message Find more posts by Bolden1 Add Bolden1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Skip, it's been well over ten years now but berger is correct. It used to be where you had a three minute grace period on the first turn loose only where you didn't have to strike your dog. After that first three minutes you had no grace periods and had to strike on or before third bark.

Personally, I liked the previous rule better because most judges found it easier to put the pencil to a babbler after that first dump. Especially one that left the chain a 'carryin' on.

The theory of the current rule was to give the babbler a short grace period on every turn loose to where the handler does not have to strike that type of dog. In short and IMO it hasn't worked as well as intended.

Under the old rule guys made an effort to work on a babbler and/or kept them out of the hunts until they got it halfway under control. Now they don't and it creates a lot of discussions in the hunts and on this forum.

Old Post 07-07-2015 01:27 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jordan120
UKC Forum Member

Allen, I think that 3 minute rule would be great because I was in a hunt not to long ago I was judge and guide. I took them to place big ol holler but you gotta walk a road in there to it. First thing when we turned the dogs loose one guys dog started babbling instantly. And he struck it before the minute was up I told him that dog was babbling he said no it ain't. I said alright we will see minute was up and none of the dogs barked I kinda got smart and said not struck is it.

The guy thought he could get one over on me because I hadnt been in a hunt for awhile but he didn't know I kept up with the rule changes and everything.

**Home Of**

PR Money's Little Rain
Nitech PR The Midnight Joker

Jordan Maynard
304-385-4266 --Home
304-784-2091 --Cell

Richard Maynard
304-272-3338 --Home
304-784-7551 --Cell

**Call us anytime if you have a question**

**RIP**
Grnitech Grch PR High Spirit Dan
~7-8-1999 to 10-6-2012~
PR Stylish Ruby[color=blue](Died with 2 UKC first)
PR WV'S High Power Aka FEFE (2008 WV State Champion)
(Died with 2 UKC first)

PR MY Fightin Side
(Died with a UKC 1st and 2nd)
~8-20-2007 to 12-7-2012~

Grnitech Grch PR Maynard's Nocturnal Nicki
10-1-2003 to 6-22-15

Old Post 07-07-2015 03:45 PM
Jordan120 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jordan120 Click here to Send Jordan120 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jordan120 Visit Jordan120's homepage! Find more posts by Jordan120 Add Jordan120 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC

The theory of the current rule was to give the babbler a short grace period on every turn loose to where the handler does not have to strike that type of dog. In short and IMO it hasn't worked as well as intended.

Under the old rule guys made an effort to work on a babbler and/or kept them out of the hunts until they got it halfway under control. Now they don't and it creates a lot of discussions in the hunts and on this forum.

Allen your correct it isn't working. All you have to do is go to $KC hunt or watch their play by play to know it isn't working. They cut dogs loose and almost immediately they have 2 or 3 dogs struck moving fast into the country and getting deep, then finally another dog barks on a coon track and the ones that were moving deep in a hurry now have slowed down and barely barking where they need to start the stop watch. That Coon Track that the last dog struck isn't near as good as what his tracks were that the other dogs were running. And it is getting worse not better with dog trackers over there.

319-201-8445

Old Post 07-07-2015 03:54 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buck brush
and as far as the stationary rule I stood one night in a hunt and a mans dog treed for 15 Min and he never treed his dog, the other dogs treed and had a coon , time ran out and his dog had a coon and he would have won if he would have treed it. all a person need s to do is know the rules and know how to apply them.

Skip here is the question I would like you to answer. I am presuming this was a rookie hunter or handler or even a seasoned one. Yes he might have lost that hunt that night. But if he went home that night and read the rules he will realize no one screwed him over in the hunt it was his own experience that cost him the cast win for his dog. So he is making an effort to learn so he don't loose a cast like that again for his dog. He will be back more determined not to mess up BUT he will be back.

Now one of the 1st hunts I was in that the stationary tree rule was used in fact I didn't even realize there was rule like that in UKC. I had an experienced judge he applied the stationary on a dog that wasn't moving though it was not treed maybe hole or brush pile though defiantly not treed. The kid almost treed him immediately that the stationary rule was applied with in a short time the dog moved on. He took 125- that dog lost the cast by 75 points today I still say the handler treed because he got nervous for having the stationary on his dog.
I did check out the rule that week to make sure it was a rule, yes it was but it is only to be used if Dog IS defiantly treed.
Now if this handler went home and read the rules and realized the rules had been wrongly used against his dog. Which of these 2 handlers quicker say I got cheated by a slick judge and which is most likely not to come back to a hunt and which one is more likely to come and keep coming back.
I will say I had the stationary put on my dog as well no doubt in my mind he was either in the ground or brushpile. I didn't tree nor would I have tree him though if stayed 5 min. I would have questioned it as he defiantly wasn't tree. This way they would have had to call timeout and would have 1hr to catch there dogs as this was a scratchable offense and we would have needed to go back to MOH to have it heard. This also was a seasoned nationally known judge.
This is only a rule to help the cheats and slick handlers to get 1 over on the new and inexperience handlers by the rules. This was a bad rule for $KC and UKC followed in there steps.
I also heard of a guy that let his dog tree for the last 45min. of a hunt as he was over 300+ ahead of any dog and he only needed a cast win. If the other dogs would have treed a coon and made another tree was the only way he was going to tree his dog. They never made a tree in 45min. So with all the roads and lack of timber that everyone is talking about why would you want a rule that forces a guy to call his dog and turn it back loose to not know what was going to happen when he cut loose instead of knowing where his dog was he had what he came for and new where the dog was and as long as it stayed there nothing was going to happen to it.
This rule is just a bad rule.

319-201-8445

Old Post 07-07-2015 04:34 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I think the purpose of the stationary rule is to catch a dog baying in a hole or a brush pile. It's not to find him treed. That's why it's the "stationary rule" and not the "treed rule."

Old Post 07-07-2015 04:45 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I think the purpose of the stationary rule is to catch a dog baying in a hole or a brush pile. It's not to find him treed. That's why it's the "stationary rule" and not the "treed rule."

OH my Have you ever read the rules?

319-201-8445

Old Post 07-07-2015 04:53 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Yes. How often would a handler not call his dog if he thought he had a coon in a tree? As compared to a handler who was pretty sure his dog was messing up. Next time you read 'em, read between the lines.

Old Post 07-07-2015 05:56 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:

The following was written after the rule was adopted.

Rule 6 (q) Explained
All those years that we struggled with the cumbersome interpretation of how to handle the situations where dogs were treeing and the handlers had no intentions of declaring them treed. 6(q) is a basic and necessary requirement in accurately scoring hounds for their work on a nite hunt cast.
The rule reads as follows:
6. Dogs will be scratched
(q) if a handler fails to declare treed a dog obviously treeing (Judge’s decision) for a period of five minutes. Dog may be declared treed while the five is running but not after the five has expired. Judge must verify dog to be at a tree before it can be scratched.
Let’s break it down into its most basic components. First, the dog must obviously be treeing. That doesn’t mean tapping trees or trying to settle. The right to tree a dog should rest with the handler until it becomes obvious that the handler has no intention of treeing a dog that is treeing solid. This is the Judge’s decision.
Once 6(q) is applied, the dog in question must tree for five minutes. Judge this as you would if the dog had been declared treed.
• If you hear the dog bark off the tree, then the five is broken.
• If two minutes gets him, the five is broken.
• If another dog in the cast comes in and is declared treed, the five is broken
No penalty is assessed. The application of 6(q) is simply ended in each of the situations described above.
At any time while the five is running in accordance with 6(q), a handler may elect to declare the dog treed. If the dog is declared treed, 6(q) is ended and you would start a new five minutes on the dog just as you would any time a dog is declared treed. In the event where another dog in the cast is declared treed on that same tree, 6(q) would also be ended. Start the five on the dog that was declared treed and normal tree rules are applied.
Okay, let’s say a handler still refuses to tree the dog and the five minutes in accordance with 6(q) is running. When the five is up, the cast will proceed to that tree. If on the way in to the tree, the handler asks to declare the dog treed and the five is up, that request must be denied. The dog cannot be declared treed (at that particular tree) after the five minutes of 6(q) has expired. Also, the dog must be seen on a tree before it can be scratched. Not in a hole, bulldoze pile, old barn, or any other place of refuge. The thinking here is that sometimes those tree barks may sound different enough to the handler of the dog that they know the dog is not “right”. Someone who does not know the dog may assume the dog is treed solid, when the truth may be he is not on a tree at all. That’s why the dog must be seen on a tree. When you get in there and the dog is on a tree, then the dog is scratched. If you arrive to find the dog trailing around or on a fence or something, back on out and let the dog work. There would be no penalty. If the dog is in a hole or place of refuge the dog may be handled without being declared treed in accordance with rule 5(a).
It’s the handler’s responsibility to tell the Judge when the dog strikes and when the dog trees. Competition events are about scoring dogs and that means the good, bad and indifferent. Any opportunity to cut down on the number of “games” being played in between should be pursued. 6(q) is one of those opportunities.

Old Post 07-07-2015 06:10 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Skip, it's been well over ten years now but berger is correct. It used to be where you had a three minute grace period on the first turn loose only where you didn't have to strike your dog. After that first three minutes you had no grace periods and had to strike on or before third bark.

Personally, I liked the previous rule better because most judges found it easier to put the pencil to a babbler after that first dump. Especially one that left the chain a 'carryin' on.

Allen I have been hunting these hunts since 1970 I sure do not remember you having 3 min on the first turn out.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 07-07-2015 11:08 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

While we are in a debating mood Allen how many donuts would it take to reconsider the rule on coming in after the five to a possum delete really !! But your going to minus for coming into a coon us in the bba find this unexceptable and it's really making hard it to set our standreds for the bluebone breed !!!

Old Post 07-07-2015 11:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Allen I have been hunting these hunts since 1970 I sure do not remember you having 3 min on the first turn out.
I remember the 3 minute rule.

Old Post 07-08-2015 12:12 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
While we are in a debating mood Allen how many donuts would it take to reconsider the rule on coming in after the five to a possum delete really !! But your going to minus for coming into a coon us in the bba find this unexceptable and it's really making hard it to set our standreds for the bluebone breed !!!
Why would that concern you? Bluebones don't mess with possums. Oh, you mean to minus those other dogs.

Old Post 07-08-2015 12:14 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I've got 2 more bakeries on stand by if needed

Old Post 07-08-2015 12:27 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well right or wrong I will admit when I am wrong and I guess I have been breaking the rules for years and a lot of people I know have to ! If you get minused for coming into a coon you get minused for coming onto off game just never even thought of it any other way ! But I guess I was wrong !! About the babbling thing my dogs just naturly don't give loose mouth a loose mouth dog just makes them try to get away from the pack witch in most cases they usually tree enough coons to make up for it but a babbling dog is receiving undeserved points in my book go back to the first 3 minutes rule and penalizing them after that be ok with me maybe for me I like to draw tough in a hunt I like 4 good dogs 4 good handlers may the best dog that night win if I don't win I am still a winner because I still got to see good dog work !! But put me in a cast of idiots I wont last 10 minutes !! Get my donuts and go home !!

Old Post 07-08-2015 12:38 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to do something different tonight, I'm not going to have donuts for super.

Old Post 07-08-2015 01:05 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Wait wait don't do it you could turn into uuuum jim . I hope he didn't eat all those donuts at once he will be nice for a year those were 1 month dosage donuts !!

Old Post 07-08-2015 01:25 AM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:

Skip, I'm going to say that 3 minute rule changed around the turn of the century. Possibly the rule change just prior to that so 15 plus years?

It was easy to set up a babbler if the handler wanted to debate the issue.

Old Post 07-08-2015 01:52 AM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:

14. One for each breed association member on the rules committee.

Old Post 07-08-2015 01:53 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Alright we are in oh the power of pastries !!

Old Post 07-08-2015 01:56 AM