UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 1 year old walker pup
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nickblack
UKC Forum Member

1 year old walker pup

Got a question for the more experienced guys on here what is everyone’s thoughts on a 1 year old pup running loose around the house he will hunt and tree on his own and he is a stay put tree dog but he drives me nuts in the kennel to the point I think I may make him shy if he keeps on is it ok for him to run loose even though there is a good chance he will get treed at night and me not here him will that make him not want to stay treed as long will it kill his drive to go hunting it doesn’t seem to affect my beagle if anything it makes him better but he will eventually come back home any thoughts or experience

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-23-2021 03:18 PM
Nickblack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nickblack Click here to Send Nickblack a Private Message Click Here to Email Nickblack Find more posts by Nickblack Add Nickblack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

1. U run the risk of loosing it , or run over etc.
2.if ur bent on keeping it loose @ nite, put a tracker on it.
3.get up and check on the dog couple times a nite, and if u don't intented to go to a treed dog....keep it confined...
4. Eventually mines came back home, and it didn't effect it's drive or treeing....just needed a week to recover....who knows how long it was treed....was missing for 36 hours.....
JME

Old Post 11-23-2021 05:53 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Break him from barking in the kennel and or buy a Garmin bark collar.

I don’t have coonhounds anymore but if I did and had one wandering off and getting treed buy itself I’d pen him up or tie him up.

I don’t believe in letting a dog get treed and then leaving it until it leaves cause no one is coming. When I had coon hounds if they treed I went and got them.

Old Post 11-23-2021 08:13 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Break him from barking in the kennel and or buy a Garmin bark collar.

I don’t believe in letting a dog get treed and then leaving it until it leaves cause no one is coming. When I had coon hounds if they treed I went and got them.

Yes sir...hell or high water. They run loose before this not after.

Old Post 11-23-2021 08:20 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote