UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bright white spot beam or natural spot beam ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Bright white spot beam or natural spot beam ?

Im getting older and my eyes simply arent what they use to be.I can still see ok but have noticed the coons and squirrels arent as easy to find when the leaves are off.The other night my blue hound and 6 mth pup tracked and treed a coon as pretty as it can be done.They were treeing every breath on a small tree going up in a huge tree .I like that.ha.Not alot of leaves on the tree.I recently bought a new light that i have no complaints with it except i screwed up getting the natural beam instead of the bright white.I had hopes the natural beam might help see the coon better .Ive heard people say that.Any way i could not find the coon.I was dissapointed.I lead the dogs away to turn loose again .I got a good ways from the tree and was fixing to let em loose .I shined back at the tree and there was the coon eyes looking at me.The coon was right there all tho he was high up there but i should have found him.I went back to the tree and still like to never found it.lol.Coon blended in with the tree and the natural beam just simply wasnt bright enuff for me.Moral of the story is be sure the natural beam is what you want.I hunt by myself and didnt have lights to compare with.Wish id got the bright white beam ive been using for years.A good pair of glasses would help alot too but i aint ready to wear glasses yet.lol.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-15-2021 03:01 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Georgeb

I to have the same problem finding them. Was thinking I needed the natural Beam. Guess I will continue with what I have. Maybe it is old eyes after all. By the way I do wear glasses or I wouldn't know which tree to shine.

It's still FUN

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 11-15-2021 03:52 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry
UKC Forum Member

I use an old Sunburst Eagle II+II or a III. Cant remember which it is. I use an old Just Rite head on it. Never did care for the Diamond head. Just right head must be at least 40 years old. I find a lot of coons on a low setting heading into tree before I ever need the big spot light. I think I would like the bright white on the big spot but don't think that is an option for my old light. Don't know what I will do if my old Sunburst dies on me?
Anybody around that works on Sunburst lights?

Thanks,
Perry

Old Post 11-15-2021 06:14 PM
perry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry Click here to Send perry a Private Message Click Here to Email perry Find more posts by perry Add perry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Tint .....

I have had both and Prefer the White over the Natural.

George
You can send your Light back to Superior & they will change the Tint for you.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-15-2021 07:19 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bright white spot beam or natural spot beam ?

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeb
Im getting older and my eyes simply arent what they use to be.I can still see ok but have noticed the coons and squirrels arent as easy to find when the leaves are off.The other night my blue hound and 6 mth pup tracked and treed a coon as pretty as it can be done.They were treeing every breath on a small tree going up in a huge tree .I like that.ha.Not alot of leaves on the tree.I recently bought a new light that i have no complaints with it except i screwed up getting the natural beam instead of the bright white.I had hopes the natural beam might help see the coon better .Ive heard people say that.Any way i could not find the coon.I was dissapointed.I lead the dogs away to turn loose again .I got a good ways from the tree and was fixing to let em loose .I shined back at the tree and there was the coon eyes looking at me.The coon was right there all tho he was high up there but i should have found him.I went back to the tree and still like to never found it.lol.Coon blended in with the tree and the natural beam just simply wasnt bright enuff for me.Moral of the story is be sure the natural beam is what you want.I hunt by myself and didnt have lights to compare with.Wish id got the bright white beam ive been using for years.A good pair of glasses would help alot too but i aint ready to wear glasses yet.lol.
Im afraid you could shine the tree with the headlights of a brand new pickup truck if your eyes are not good the tint of a light is not going to make the difference..A new set of bifocals maybe your best bet ..I made a tree one night in a hunt that I argued till I was blue in the face with good friends on the cast..A gentleman lent me his glasses and I was at the eye doctor within a couple of days and apologized to the cast ..As far as seeing him when you walked off..if they look at you you can see them with a five dollar flashlight..Hope you have a great season!

Old Post 11-15-2021 11:41 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I carry a pair of yellow tinted night vision glasses with me and use them at trees. With the white LED it looks a lot like the old bulb lights when shining and I can pick out a coon a lot easier. That makes me think the natural tint may be the way to go for me but I’d like to hunt with someone who has a light with natural tint before I buy one.

Old Post 11-16-2021 04:29 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by perry
I use an old Sunburst Eagle II+II or a III. Cant remember which it is. I use an old Just Rite head on it. Never did care for the Diamond head. Just right head must be at least 40 years old. I find a lot of coons on a low setting heading into tree before I ever need the big spot light. I think I would like the bright white on the big spot but don't think that is an option for my old light. Don't know what I will do if my old Sunburst dies on me?
Anybody around that works on Sunburst lights?

Thanks,
Perry

Should be able to buy batteries at a Battery Plus store or on the web. The rest of the parts are easy enough to come by the same way.

Old Post 11-16-2021 11:40 AM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Bright white spot beam or natural spot beam ?

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
Im afraid you could shine the tree with the headlights of a brand new pickup truck if your eyes are not good the tint of a light is not going to make the difference..A new set of bifocals maybe your best bet ..I made a tree one night in a hunt that I argued till I was blue in the face with good friends on the cast..A gentleman lent me his glasses and I was at the eye doctor within a couple of days and apologized to the cast ..As far as seeing him when you walked off..if they look at you you can see them with a five dollar flashlight..Hope you have a great season!

I agree ill have to get glasses eventually.Right now at the stage my eyes are the color of the beam does make a difference.Now that ive had both there is no doubt that i can see better with the bright white beam.

Old Post 11-16-2021 01:18 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Glasses

I had perfect vision until age 44, then I started needing reader glasses. Went that route for a few years, thought I only had a problem up close. Went to the eye doctor and got my eyes checked at age 50, huh well I found out my vision was not the best far away either. Got prescription bi- focal glasses. Took a while to get use to them, so I just wore them at work, but now I won't go without them ever.
During the time above I tried the new white LED light, later went to yellow LED. I still have both lights. Light color doesn't matter too much now that I can see good, but I use the yellow most of the time.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-19-2021 01:33 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bright white spot beam or natural spot beam ?

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeb

I'll be 39 next month and for me personally I find the natural colored beam to be way more friendly on me for finding coons. The bright white light blends the colors of the bark and a coon together. And its so bad for me I couldn't hardly see a coon that was 15ft up on the first limb 1 night. After I switched to the natural color, so did several others that I hunt with.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-20-2021 03:39 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

I like an amber lens on my headlight, but prefer the white light in my spotlight. The bulb looks blue, but it shines bright white. When the spotlight comes out I've quit looking for eyes.

I guess it depends on how your eyes see the light in the tree. For me I think I see better with the white light.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 11-21-2021 01:34 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eyes/Hearing

Guys, I think we all have the same problem in thinking we see okay and hear okay. It's hard to accept the facts sometimes, especially when it's hard to know what you can not see or hear. I even argued with my eye doctor, but the exams do not lie. Lol. I just recently had cataract surgery on both eyes and mister, I can tell a world of difference. Colors are so much brighter and vivid, I am so pleased. It's real hard to know what you are seeing or not seeing without an eye exam, same with hearing, you do not know what you are not hearing without an ear exam. Dave

Old Post 11-21-2021 02:36 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I just went through a hearing test. I'm getting a hearing aid next week. Maybe my dog will have a louder mouth now. LOL As far as eye sight, I would trade my $4oo light for the $3.95 Just Rite light and 6 volt battery I used 40 years ago if I could have the eyesight I had back then. I don't even bother with a bright light anymore. If I don't see eyes with the red light I just go on.

Old Post 11-21-2021 04:18 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

How some coons are smart enuff to not look has always baffled me.It takes a bright spot to find him sometimes.I also shine a red light first on a leafless tree nowadays.The coon i posted about never looked until i left the tree.And then when i went back he never looked.ha.Coons are thin where i can hunt and rough walking hills.or I would have left him but my 6 mth pup sure did good and i wanted to put fur in her mouth.I squirrel hunt with dogs alot also.I use to be the best at finding squirrels.If youve sq hunted with dogs then you know how good a grey sq can hide.Now alot of times hes moving before i see him.I' ll have to get glasses soon but ill have to buy a dozen at a time because i know i wont be able to keep up with them.

Old Post 11-21-2021 04:51 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

George Burnett

George, you may want to consider lasik surgery, its not that expensive and you would not need glasses. Talk to your eye doctor, NOT a regular optometrist. Dave .

Last edited by Dave Richards on 11-21-2021 at 07:56 PM

Old Post 11-21-2021 07:53 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Id like to thank mr Sam Davis at superior lights.They changed my beam to bright white for me and got it back to me quick.I appreciate it.I like it alot better.

Old Post 11-22-2021 11:59 PM
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

Light Color

The color of light is often misunderstood. Many people refer to the old yellow tint of incandescent as natural color. In reality the color of daylight on a bright clear day is between 5000 and 6500 Kelvin. Kelvin is the scale which measures the color of light. Our Laser Torch lights and most other light makers use an led that produces bright white light that is around 5500 Kelvin. When asked to make one the color of the old Wheat Light, we use an led that is around 4500 Kelvin that is slightly yellow. So the bright white is actually the most natural light you can get.

David Morgan
Laser Torch Lights.

Old Post 12-14-2021 12:00 AM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Im glad i had my led swapped to bright white.Its definitely better for me.Be sure natural is what you want before purchasing.

Old Post 12-14-2021 05:45 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Im glad i had my led swapped to bright white.Its definitely better for me.Be sure natural is what you want before purchasing.

Old Post 12-14-2021 05:45 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Light Color

quote:
Originally posted by David Morgan
The color of light is often misunderstood. Many people refer to the old yellow tint of incandescent as natural color. In reality the color of daylight on a bright clear day is between 5000 and 6500 Kelvin. Kelvin is the scale which measures the color of light. Our Laser Torch lights and most other light makers use an led that produces bright white light that is around 5500 Kelvin. When asked to make one the color of the old Wheat Light, we use an led that is around 4500 Kelvin that is slightly yellow. So the bright white is actually the most natural light you can get.

David Morgan
Laser Torch Lights.

Very good information. I always read "Bright white or natural" . Now I'm learning bright white is the closest to natural.

Old Post 12-14-2021 06:35 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote