UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do you use...?
Do you use the fishing/hunting feeding charts
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 4 5.97%
No 63 94.03%
Total: 67 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

Do you use...?

The thread on the coons moving early or before dark got me wondering... Do you use the hunting/fishing charts to give you an idea of when the coons are feeding/moving?

I have a friend that uses them to decide when to go (pleasure) hunting and swears by them. I have heard others say it isn't accurate when it comes to coons.

What do you think? I understand a good dog should be able to tree layups when they haven't moved and blah, blah, blah... lets not turn it into a keyboard battle over that...

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-28-2017 03:10 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coondog123
UKC Forum Member

No, I usually just go hunting about dark or later when it cools down in summertime.

Old Post 06-28-2017 03:17 PM
Coondog123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coondog123 Click here to Send Coondog123 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coondog123 Find more posts by Coondog123 Add Coondog123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

I use the previous days game camera to get an idea sometimes in summer, but just cut at dark in the winter.

Old Post 06-28-2017 05:07 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I use the barometer. If it is below 30 and falling, hunting is poor. If it is rising, good hunting. Watch the cows in a field. Standing, eating, go hunting... Laying down, not moving... Stay home. Ever see a night you thought "I should have stayed home" and hunting was great... Check barometer... A night that should have been a good night but was terrible... Check the barometer.... Old man told me this many years ago......

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 06-28-2017 at 06:48 PM

Old Post 06-28-2017 06:46 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
I use the barometer. If it is below 30 and falling, hunting is poor. If it is rising, good hunting. Watch the cows in a field. Standing, eating, go hunting... Laying down, not moving... Stay home. Ever see a night you thought "I should have stayed home" and hunting was great... Check barometer... A night that should have been a good night but was terrible... Check the barometer.... Old man told me this many years ago......

Very good to know!! Thank you!

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 06-28-2017 06:55 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

You guys take coon hunting seriously. I just go whenever I feel like it. If it looks like it's going to rain, I go anyway because my dogs still like running the roads and hunting even when they don't find anything.

Old Post 06-28-2017 08:31 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BBinkley
UKC Forum Member

charts

I have used one for years deer hunting. if I am going I usually will not look at it until the hunt is over. If I just have a few hours to hunt either the morning or evening I will check it and decide. they seem to be fairly accurate, but the weather can change what they predict. I usually just cut the dog loose at dark.

Old Post 06-28-2017 09:05 PM
BBinkley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BBinkley Click here to Send BBinkley a Private Message Find more posts by BBinkley Add BBinkley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

I dont plan a hunt by them

Old Post 06-28-2017 09:41 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956

I had a friend that kept a journal for years and I kept one for a couple of years. Every night he or I went we wrote down what the dogs did and what the weather was. Temp, wind, moisture conditions, moon phase and Barometer. He was a computer geek and plotted all of it,there was no pattern to it at all for coons. For deer the barometer was fairly dependable and contrary to popular belief the moon had nothing to do with deer movement. What made them move more than anything was a sudden drop in temps.

I used to believe the something about the cows. Until I got some, mine eat when they are hungry no matter the barometer and when they are full they lay down and chew cud.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-28-2017 10:52 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottCK 6
UKC Forum Member

You can bet when the moon is full, deer will be on their feet in the middle of the day, doesn't matter if it is 30 or 100 degrees, watch the bean fields when your driving, if the moon is full you will see deer feeding mid-day.

Old Post 06-28-2017 11:00 PM
ScottCK 6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ScottCK 6 Click here to Send ScottCK 6 a Private Message Click Here to Email ScottCK 6 Find more posts by ScottCK 6 Add ScottCK 6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ScottCK 6
You can bet when the moon is full, deer will be on their feet in the middle of the day, doesn't matter if it is 30 or 100 degrees, watch the bean fields when your driving, if the moon is full you will see deer feeding mid-day.

Agree to disagree because its not even close to what I have seen. When it gets hot especially in the winter, Deer don't move, at least not large numbers of them. There is always a few moving somewhere.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-28-2017 11:27 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottCK 6
UKC Forum Member

Its a fact, of course when it gets really warm in the winter it is uncomfortable for any animals that has a winter coat to move around, but those are abnormal conditions, that's why it's hard to get after a Coon on those 60 degree days in January, they're not dressed for it, the next full moon, drive around I do not care if it's the hottest day on record, you will be surprised at the numbers of deer you see feeding in the beans mid-day. I used to be a bow hunting junkie, I lived it, pretty good at predicting deer activity.

Old Post 06-28-2017 11:52 PM
ScottCK 6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ScottCK 6 Click here to Send ScottCK 6 a Private Message Click Here to Email ScottCK 6 Find more posts by ScottCK 6 Add ScottCK 6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

I can let my hounds out for exercise during the day and they will almost always end up under a coon.

Old Post 06-29-2017 02:10 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I had a friend that kept a journal for years and I kept one for a couple of years. Every night he or I went we wrote down what the dogs did and what the weather was. Temp, wind, moisture conditions, moon phase and Barometer. He was a computer geek and plotted all of it,there was no pattern to it at all for coons. For deer the barometer was fairly dependable and contrary to popular belief the moon had nothing to do with deer movement. What made them move more than anything was a sudden drop in temps.

I used to believe the something about the cows. Until I got some, mine eat when they are hungry no matter the barometer and when they are full they lay down and chew cud.

oh wow. that's very interesting and kinda surprising. i wonder why it doesn't effect the coons?... i wouldn't have guessed that

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 06-29-2017 01:58 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

My experience on predators is that they will move when barometric pressure is low and falling but that the dogs have difficulty trailing as the scent rises quickly. High pressure keeps the scent closer to the ground and therefore, dogs can trail much easier. I see this on lions, bobcats and coons.
This also explains why the old timers always said that hunting was no good when the pressure was low and falling. Critters were moving but dogs could not smell them. Just experienced this on a huge tom in the Navajo Nation. I like to hunt dry ground and I cut a track that was made by the lion walking a road that I had driven the day before. I felt the track was less than 8 hours old, so I expected my dogs to leave there running. Not so fast as Lee Corso says, I had to follow the track or where I thought the lion had walked for a half mile before my coldest nosed dog ever wiggled and finally opened. Long story short, they trailed to a highway and that was about it.
I looked at my Garmin Fenix 3 and saw that the barometric pressure was as low as I had ever seen and falling.
Adios,
gary

Old Post 06-29-2017 05:58 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Now these are just my experiences. Thirty years ago while conducting a couple of different research studies, I kept track of barometer readings and trends, humidity, air temperature, ground temperature, ground moisture, and moon phases to see when coons move. I did this for quite a while before doing a statistical analysis. Long story short, there were no correlations at all.

From a hunting stand point, I want my dogs to be able to perform under all conditions. This means I hunt when I can in-spite of the weather conditions. Yes, it is fun to hunt when the weather is good and the coons are moving, but I get a sense of pride when my dogs do well under tough conditions.

Twenty years ago, my wife worked 3rd shift, and I could only hunt on her nights off (2 nights/week). I learned to enjoy bad weather during that time.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 06-29-2017 06:14 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I don't think we notice as much what the weather does as far as trailing conditions go with coon hounds. I do with rabbit dogs, there are days that they flat can't run a rabbit even if it jumps right in front of them. I don't know why and can't seem to correlate it with the pressure even though that's what some say it is. They call it bad scenting conditions but know one seems to agree what causes it. They can start several rabbits and cant do anything with them and then all of a sudden its like a switch flips and they lock on to one for an hour. I don't know why but it has to effect coon dogs also.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-29-2017 07:58 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I think that poor barometric conditions might not kill you if hunting in country where it rains or snows and there is moisture in or on the ground and vegetation. You really see it affect the dogs when hunting this semi-desert and desert conditions and when trying to work tracks that are hours if not days old.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 06-29-2017 09:34 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudcreek
UKC Forum Member

As a fella said one time

Sometimes the smellin' just ain't good.

Old Post 06-29-2017 10:01 PM
mudcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudcreek Click here to Send mudcreek a Private Message Visit mudcreek's homepage! Find more posts by mudcreek Add mudcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Roberson
I think that poor barometric conditions might not kill you if hunting in country where it rains or snows and there is moisture in or on the ground and vegetation. You really see it affect the dogs when hunting this semi-desert and desert conditions and when trying to work tracks that are hours if not days old.
Adios,
Gary

Lol days old?
Hate to hear what you consider a 'old/cold track'.
Blood hounds can't even smell tracks that are 'days old',I know no coon hound can either.
1-2 hours is pushing it.Frost on ground,your lucky to move a 1/2 hr track........I know guys are gonna say "my hounds can do this or do that"....not in the real world.

*unless you like to hear beating and banging all night*

Old Post 06-29-2017 10:20 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I am talking lion tracks. And yes, they can smell them several days old in the right conditions.
I train these dogs by hunting only in the daylight on coon so that they rarely strike a good track. This time of the year, it is just too hot in the evenings, much cooler in the mornings.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 06-29-2017 10:43 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Lol days old?
Hate to hear what you consider a 'old/cold track'.
Blood hounds can't even smell tracks that are 'days old',I know no coon hound can either.
1-2 hours is pushing it.Frost on ground,your lucky to move a 1/2 hr track........I know guys are gonna say "my hounds can do this or do that"....not in the real world.

*unless you like to hear beating and banging all night*

You must not remember Obe Corey from Idaho. He wrote in Full Cry every month. He said his dogs could take a week old lion track and tree the lion.

Old Post 06-29-2017 11:08 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

I'll be honest every time I think I figured out a dog, a bear, or a coon I find out how just how wrong my theory is! So I won't say one way or the other!

Old Post 06-29-2017 11:23 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SRF
UKC Forum Member

I have alvays thougt that that was a bunch of bs imo.

Old Post 06-30-2017 12:38 AM
SRF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SRF Click here to Send SRF a Private Message Click Here to Email SRF Find more posts by SRF Add SRF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

In southeast texas to have very low humidity the weather condition will at least be cool to cold. Low humidity and low barometric pressure will cause the scent to flash off pretty quick...I have seen my dogs lose a good track that normally they could run at full speed with their heads up...

During winter months when a good norther blows in here in the south deer will move quite a bit and is usually good hunting...the colder the better...cold weather will make mammals burn more calories to help in maintaining body heat...same with dogs...in the summer I feed about half a bowl and in the winter will increase to maintain their weight...sometimes I feed a full bowl...so it makes since that the average animal in the wild will have to hunt for food more often than normal, unless it is one goes into hibernation...

Old Post 06-30-2017 01:19 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote