UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Using a bark limiter?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

Using a bark limiter?

I have a 7 month old walker pup that barks NON-STOP in the kennel. I'm worried that he will bark his voice out or my wife will kill him before he grows out of it. Lol. I have a Garmin bark limiter that I'm considering letting him wear. What's your guy's thoughts on using a bark limiter. Any cons to it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-28-2017 01:50 AM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

Either put a bark color on him or get rid of him. I'd never own a dog that barks in the kennel. I don't use bark collar I just teach them with a slap across the head they learn pretty quick.

Old Post 06-28-2017 01:54 AM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

Bark collar

quote:
Originally posted by Lipperman22
Either put a bark color on him or get rid of him. I'd never own a dog that barks in the kennel. I don't use bark collar I just teach them with a slap across the head they learn pretty quick.

Lol!! I've tried a good smack on the head a few times but I can't be out there with him all the time. I'll try the collar on him for a few days and see how he does.

Old Post 06-28-2017 01:59 AM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Using a bark limiter?

quote:
Originally posted by LSO1103
I have a 7 month old walker pup that barks NON-STOP in the kennel. I'm worried that he will bark his voice out or my wife will kill him before he grows out of it. Lol. I have a Garmin bark limiter that I'm considering letting him wear. What's your guy's thoughts on using a bark limiter. Any cons to it?
the bark limiter will wear holes in a barking idiots neck.if a dog doesnt have enough brains to learn what shut up means i consider it a cull . chances are at 7 months old he will not grow out of it .`make your wife happy and get rid of the pup and start over .

Old Post 06-28-2017 03:17 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I'd use the collar .if you can set the intensity level I'd set it on a lower setting and go up as needed. Pups probally just being a pup it's got a lot of energy and bored. Try and get the pup out everyday if you can and let him expend that energy running and playing.

Old Post 06-28-2017 03:23 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
I'd use the collar .if you can set the intensity level I'd set it on a lower setting and go up as needed. Pups probally just being a pup it's got a lot of energy and bored. Try and get the pup out everyday if you can and let him expend that energy running and playing.

I've got it on auto. It's suppose to start out at the lowest setting and go up from there if he don't get the hint. It's working so far. It ate him up for the first minute or so he had it on and he's been quiet since. Took him out for a quick hunt with the old dogs tonight, he went 715 yards and treed with them so I'm not giving up on him for barking in the kennel. I'll break him of that.

Old Post 06-28-2017 04:55 AM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I have a busher bred cur that will not stop barking at certain dogs. She hates the other 3 females and must be separated from them. she barks load and with evil intentions. It's either a bark collar or get kicked out of the neighborhood.

Old Post 06-28-2017 08:42 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

I believe in the collar, and they do work on most dogs. Skip all the low settings and turn it wide open. Lesson is learned much faster, and it sticks in there mind. Oh you will think it is killing them, and they will try to bark through it, but after about a minute of terrible barking and crying, they will hit the house for some quite time. They do wear holes in the neck, but mine can either shut up and stay that way, have a hole or two, or they may just have to be gone. I will not have a dog that barks all the time. That is the most annoying thing ever. Worse than a wife in your ear all the time. They do learn to be quite, some just are more hard headed than others, but a firm owner can and will stop it, one way or the other. The ALPHA dog has to be you, and they have to learn it and know you mean it.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 06-29-2017 02:03 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
I believe in the collar, and they do work on most dogs. Skip all the low settings and turn it wide open. Lesson is learned much faster, and it sticks in there mind. Oh you will think it is killing them, and they will try to bark through it, but after about a minute of terrible barking and crying, they will hit the house for some quite time. They do wear holes in the neck, but mine can either shut up and stay that way, have a hole or two, or they may just have to be gone. I will not have a dog that barks all the time. That is the most annoying thing ever. Worse than a wife in your ear all the time. They do learn to be quite, some just are more hard headed than others, but a firm owner can and will stop it, one way or the other. The ALPHA dog has to be you, and they have to learn it and know you mean it.

this.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 06-29-2017 02:08 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Johnson is right on, and the garmin bark collar works real well.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 06-29-2017 02:11 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Some good information here. One more thing to think about. When I put one on a dog for the first time, I try and not have the dog in a pen with another dog. You can have one heck of a dog fight with them not understand what is going on if your not careful.

Old Post 06-29-2017 02:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys. I had the collar on him for 24 hours. It made a believer out of him I'll see if he's got the hint. If not he'll get another dose.

Old Post 06-29-2017 03:28 PM