UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon moving early
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Coon moving early

I floated creek yesterday doin lil fishing and saw 4 coon before dark none them was together. Between 5:30 - 8:00 clock. Been waiting until cools of about 10 before turning dogs loose but after see coon moving early might have start turning loose on water right at dark.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-23-2017 08:12 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I haven't hunted as much lately, but they've been stirring early for a couple of months I think.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 06-23-2017 08:30 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yrphunter
UKC Forum Member

I've seen 1 running down the middle of the road at 630 in the evening and had several others on camera long before dark over the last month. When I have hunted I've had tougher tracks than normal and doesn't seem like the movement that's normal at 10pm

PR Dry Branch's Thunder Braley
PR Dry Branch's foggy mtn daisy

Never forgotten-
PR Dutch Hollars Mtn Cry Diamond

Old Post 06-23-2017 08:58 PM
yrphunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yrphunter Click here to Send yrphunter a Private Message Click Here to Email yrphunter Find more posts by yrphunter Add yrphunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Guys I've been seeing them between 330 am and 500 am regular now. I've not been having much luck turning out at dark or even 10 or 11pm. I'm gonna sleep in and try it bout 3am to see if I have better results.

Old Post 06-24-2017 02:15 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natgear1982
UKC Forum Member

Moving early

After work last week cut my dog in evening an hour before dark around the house. Treed one about a mile away in a deep ditch one day. Next time was down the road on the neighbors ditch.

Handsome Cooper

Old Post 06-24-2017 05:31 AM
natgear1982 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natgear1982 Click here to Send natgear1982 a Private Message Find more posts by natgear1982 Add natgear1982 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

The coons are out smarting you they finally figured out that going out at night time was a bad idea

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 06-24-2017 05:26 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

They ALWAYS MOVE well before dark this time of year! Every single year!!! Last year I hunted from 5 pm til about 10 pm every day and always treed 3-4 singles! Hell of a lot harder to find before dark tho!

Old Post 06-24-2017 08:02 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Early Coons

When the weather starts to get hot they come down to get water early. They get thirsty just like any other animal. In my opinion, the best time to hunt this time of year is early morning up until just after daylight. But, it gets real hot here also.

Old Post 06-25-2017 12:19 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajsdad
UKC Forum Member

Cut loose tonight at 8:30 well before dark and my bluetick caught one one the ground! Love to hunt early this time of year

Old Post 06-25-2017 05:47 AM
ajsdad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ajsdad Click here to Send ajsdad a Private Message Click Here to Email ajsdad Find more posts by ajsdad Add ajsdad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Not going to doubt the heat and weather doesn't come into play. I am sure most of you know about feed times. Everyone that has a ALPHA has a HUNT and FISH MENU and it tells you if the overall day is good or not and it tells you the excellent and good times for game movement. 8-10 last night was a good time. You back up to when Nathan posted this and I checked the Garmin that day and his early times were the best times.

There are four cycles each day that game moves on and again I will say the weather durning that time has an effect on it and bad weather moving in with atmospheric pressure dropping effects it also as the animals feel this and know they better go eat.

Here is one observation that is fact to me and perhaps fiction to everyone else. When traveling the hunting areas on the roads I notice different animals at different times on the feed cycles. Dillers seem to come out early, deer move early, possums move early. Coon seem to move later. These observations are from the road and animals seen traveling the roads. I ofter wonder if the coon doesn't travel the woods early and then hit the roads late getting home.

This question will be for the old timers that use to walk hunt. How many of you would be walking though the woods in the middle of the night and all of sudden the woods would come to life with birds, frogs, and all kind of game animals making noise. That is natures feed cycle waking things up to get something to eat.

One last thing. Guys come on here and ask why their dog is having a hard time when a few nights ago the dog looked like wonder woman. Each day men generally hunt the same time. While the animals are on a different cycle. Tonight at a certain time the creek you turn out on may have a hot track and three nights later the track is cold. Same coon, different feed cycle.

Old Post 06-25-2017 12:16 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoonerBeBlue
UKC Forum Member

have any of you ever hunted in the daytime?

Hound I currently have in training:
Mountain Fork Blue Mable

Old Post 06-27-2017 09:55 PM
SoonerBeBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SoonerBeBlue Click here to Send SoonerBeBlue a Private Message Find more posts by SoonerBeBlue Add SoonerBeBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Not for coon but I'm thinking of trying cause not having much luck after dark. Care to elaborate on hunting in the day

Old Post 06-27-2017 10:54 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bearhunter747
Not for coon but I'm thinking of trying cause not having much luck after dark. Care to elaborate on hunting in the day
i just cut loose on the river or big creek that's where they are and dogs stay cool. Coins are hard to find in the daytime!!! Carry a spotlight to shine dark spots or den holes.

Old Post 06-28-2017 01:36 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't be scared to turn a hound loose an hour before dark, I've seen them crossing the road an hour before sundown

Old Post 06-28-2017 01:57 AM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmyers8
UKC Forum Member

I just got back in turned loose at 9 with the sun still up and dusk in the woods looked at a coon 6 minutes later. Then made another tree and back in bed before 10. I like it.

Old Post 06-28-2017 03:14 AM
Jmyers8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmyers8 Click here to Send Jmyers8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmyers8 Find more posts by Jmyers8 Add Jmyers8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoonerBeBlue
UKC Forum Member

seems like the sows are down in the day getting water and feeding so I just wondered if that might work

Mountain Fork Blue Mable

Old Post 06-29-2017 08:33 PM
SoonerBeBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SoonerBeBlue Click here to Send SoonerBeBlue a Private Message Find more posts by SoonerBeBlue Add SoonerBeBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brujan182
UKC Forum Member

Early

They've always done that this time of year. It's not unusual.

Old Post 06-30-2017 02:40 AM
brujan182 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brujan182 Click here to Send brujan182 a Private Message Click Here to Email brujan182 Find more posts by brujan182 Add brujan182 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I hunted with a couple guys in the summer time years ago who had to get up early and go to work in the mines. We would turn loose right at dusk when you didn't need a light to walk to the woods and barely needed a light when in the woods. We treed coon night after night and could have walked to a lot of the trees without a light. Our dogs were in real good shape so we didn't worry about the heat of the summer bothering them.

Old Post 06-30-2017 04:36 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoonerBeBlue
UKC Forum Member

going to try that in the morning

Mountain Fork Blue Mable

Old Post 06-30-2017 05:38 PM