UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > No right or wrong answer
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

No right or wrong answer

How long do you enjoy listening to a hound trail before it gets treed? I like one to trail 15 to 20 min. then locate and get treed accurately.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-09-2020 11:19 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Really as long as it takes to get to the end of the track but I want him to do it as fast as he can. Obviously on a good track they can be 1/2 mile in five minutes and on a bod track it may take 20 to get it done. I love a track dog that can really move a track but they seem to be hard to find.

Old Post 11-09-2020 11:29 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

Depends on how late is is and how early i gotta be at work!!

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 11-09-2020 11:49 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I can appreciate a good track dog, and if it's covering ground I like to listen to one trail for a few minutes like everyone else.
But I personally prefer a tight-mouthed one that just falls trees in the country. Kinda the "Don't tell me where he was, just show me where he is!" type of dog.

Old Post 11-10-2020 12:33 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon Keys
UKC Forum Member

Preferred time on Track

I like them to get struck & treed in 30 minutes or less. My goal is to make at least 3 or 4 trees on a 2 hour hunt. I don’t always get my way! 😂
-
The dog I’m hunting now likes to trail. He’s an honest strike dog that opens on the first Coon track he finds. He’s usually struck inside of 5 minutes. He starts tracks that he struggles to finish at times. I’ll give him 30 minutes on each drop. If he’s not moving it well, I tone him in and go to another spot. On the weekends, I try to let him finish every track he starts, no matter how long it takes. On weekday work nights, I try to hunt him in thicker Coon areas. I’m trying to make him a balanced hound. He can tree any type of Coon, cold track, hot track, runner, lay up. He rarely makes it look easy though. I’ve come to the conclusion that he has more try than talent. As a pleasure hunter, I’m ok with that.

Old Post 11-10-2020 01:49 PM
Leon Keys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leon Keys Click here to Send Leon Keys a Private Message Click Here to Email Leon Keys Find more posts by Leon Keys Add Leon Keys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Preferred time on Track

quote:
Originally posted by Leon Keys
I like them to get struck & treed in 30 minutes or less. My goal is to make at least 3 or 4 trees on a 2 hour hunt. I don’t always get my way! 😂
-
The dog I’m hunting now likes to trail. He’s an honest strike dog that opens on the first Coon track he finds. He’s usually struck inside of 5 minutes. He starts tracks that he struggles to finish at times. I’ll give him 30 minutes on each drop. If he’s not moving it well, I tone him in and go to another spot. On the weekends, I try to let him finish every track he starts, no matter how long it takes. On weekday work nights, I try to hunt him in thicker Coon areas. I’m trying to make him a balanced hound. He can tree any type of Coon, cold track, hot track, runner, lay up. He rarely makes it look easy though. I’ve come to the conclusion that he has more try than talent. As a pleasure hunter, I’m ok with that.

I like that "more try than talent". Think you just described my dog. But then some nights he looks like Houdini and finds coons the others don't know is there. But when tracking is not good he looks pretty common.

Old Post 11-10-2020 02:37 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

This is about as honest as it gets. And I could live with this kind of dog.

Old Post 11-10-2020 03:14 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

i dont want them to say anything until they tree, i rather see eye balls then listen to a bunch of bawling around on track.

Old Post 11-10-2020 03:25 PM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

If its a young dog i don't mind listening for awhile. If its a deer track I'm not to fond of listening to those tracks...lol.

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Old Post 11-10-2020 08:28 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I HATE listening to one boohoo around. I want mine to be struck and treed in 15 mins or so. Now if it’s rougher I’d give them 30 but I don’t like to. Treeing the most coon in 2 hours is the key to winning. Some might call mine an “ambush” dog but I don’t care about the one coon you treed behind me if I already have 3 treed before you get that track finished. Just my 2 cents.... some may also say this is the difference between the new generation and the old...