UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The thing we all dread
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

The thing we all dread

So out hunting last night and the thing we all dread happened. Coon weren't stiring to much treed one right off. Re- casted in a literal 100 acre section of woods. 2 dogs scattered. My jam dog crossed the gravel road we were parked on where there is only 2 houses on that side of the road. I drove down and got across from her treed a little ways off the road. As soon as I took one step into the woods a guy comes out cussing me up one side down the other. Said he was getting his shotgun and yo get the hell out of there. I tried to be calm and say I was sorry dog crossed the road and I was getting her. He then got even worse yelling and cussing saying he was going to shoot her. These types of things are a nightmare that unfortunately we as hunters are subject to. How would you handle this situation if you had time to plan it out?

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-07-2019 04:17 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Just grab cell phone & make a call, for a little backup. Pull 22 from under seat, while he is get his weapon, & load it while standing on public road. Just in case 'backup' don't get there in time before things esculate any farther. JMO. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 08-07-2019 04:28 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Planning it out ahead brings a different light on the situation, rather than just reacting. Good question and point your making.

I would tell the individual that I was calling the sheriffs office and make a 911 call. Then I would explain to the dispatcher what has happen and the actions of the landowner, especially if they were threatening to me or my dog. I would ask the dispatcher to speak to the land owner and try and calm him down and either allow me to get my dog or send an officer to accompany me while I got my dog. If the land owner after speaking to the dispatcher takes matters in their own hands. You have documentation that you tried to defuse the situation and resolve the situation peacefully.

If the situation gets defused. And if that is an area that I hunted. I would surly go back in a few days and try to find peace with the land owner.

Old Post 08-07-2019 04:30 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Planning it out ahead brings a different light on the situation, rather than just reacting. Good question and point your making.

I would tell the individual that I was calling the sheriffs office and make a 911 call. Then I would explain to the dispatcher what has happen and the actions of the landowner, especially if they were threatening to me or my dog. I would ask the dispatcher to speak to the land owner and try and calm him down and either allow me to get my dog or send an officer to accompany me while I got my dog. If the land owner after speaking to the dispatcher takes matters in their own hands. You have documentation that you tried to defuse the situation and resolve the situation peacefully.

If the situation gets defused. And if that is an area that I hunted. I would surly go back in a few days and try to find peace with the land owner.

perfect reply. same thing I would do/ this is what I did one night. and police told me to go get my dog. case closed.

Old Post 08-07-2019 05:57 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freakyone
Banned

My light gets turned on high and right in his eyes it goes along with the lazer sight on my gun..

Old Post 08-07-2019 10:53 PM
freakyone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freakyone Click here to Send freakyone a Private Message Click Here to Email freakyone Find more posts by freakyone Add freakyone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Freakyone

While many would respond the way you suggested, that could turn out real bad. The earlier responses made sense and would go a long way in a court of law to back the hunter. Your way could get someone killed and cause the situation to escalate past what anyone desires. Calmness and logic should prevail at all times, remember you are trespassing and need the owners permission or the law to back you up. If you use self help, you will not have the legal system backing you up. If you can not come to an agreement with the landowner, please call the law to back you up. Arguing with an irate landowner will never resolve the issue, unless he calms down and that may take help from law enforcement. I would stay in the road without permission from the landowner and wait on the law to get there. Dave

Old Post 08-08-2019 01:25 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freakyone
Banned

Re: Freakyone

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
While many would respond the way you suggested, that could turn out real bad. The earlier responses made sense and would go a long way in a court of law to back the hunter. Your way could get someone killed and cause the situation to escalate past what anyone desires. Calmness and logic should prevail at all times, remember you are trespassing and need the owners permission or the law to back you up. If you use self help, you will not have the legal system backing you up. If you can not come to an agreement with the landowner, please call the law to back you up. Arguing with an irate landowner will never resolve the issue, unless he calms down and that may take help from law enforcement. I would stay in the road without permission from the landowner and wait on the law to get there. Dave
Stay calm my butt when he threatened me and my dog I would show there punk ass who was boss, I’d also showed what cussing was all about I’d got my crazy on for sure. They would have never came out like that again Wooo!!!

Old Post 08-08-2019 02:03 AM
freakyone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freakyone Click here to Send freakyone a Private Message Click Here to Email freakyone Find more posts by freakyone Add freakyone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Freakyone

2 hotheads spell nothing but trouble, one hothead is enough! What happens when you either get killed or you kill him? If you pull a gun and he shoots you, then he can claim self defense. You should only pull a gun if he actually tries to harm you and that would be self defense. You are the one that's trespassing, not him. How would you react to someone trespassing on your land in the middle of the night? We sometimes forget, that not everyone coonhunts or understands what we are doing out there at night. It's always best to be humble and apologetic to an irate landowner, most usually calm down when we stay calm, no need to stir the pot with an attitude. Most landowners will not shoot you or your dogs, they are just upset and say things they do not mean. Let them talk all they want, they usually calm down and if they don't, call the law and let the law deal with them. Dave

Old Post 08-08-2019 03:00 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freakyone
Banned

Re: Freakyone

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
2 hotheads spell nothing but trouble, one hothead is enough! What happens when you either get killed or you kill him? If you pull a gun and he shoots you, then he can claim self defense. You should only pull a gun if he actually tries to harm you and that would be self defense. You are the one that's trespassing, not him. How would you react to someone trespassing on your land in the middle of the night? We sometimes forget, that not everyone coonhunts or understands what we are doing out there at night. It's always best to be humble and apologetic to an irate landowner, most usually calm down when we stay calm, no need to stir the pot with an attitude. Most landowners will not shoot you or your dogs, they are just upset and say things they do not mean. Let them talk all they want, they usually calm down and if they don't, call the law and let the law deal with them. Dave
I wear a go pro every where I go so if they want to get crazy the coroner can deal with them.

Old Post 08-08-2019 03:15 AM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: The thing we all dread

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
So out hunting last night and the thing we all dread happened. Coon weren't stiring to much treed one right off. Re- casted in a literal 100 acre section of woods. 2 dogs scattered. My jam dog crossed the gravel road we were parked on where there is only 2 houses on that side of the road. I drove down and got across from her treed a little ways off the road. As soon as I took one step into the woods a guy comes out cussing me up one side down the other. Said he was getting his shotgun and yo get the hell out of there. I tried to be calm and say I was sorry dog crossed the road and I was getting her. He then got even worse yelling and cussing saying he was going to shoot her. These types of things are a nightmare that unfortunately we as hunters are subject to. How would you handle this situation if you had time to plan it out?

Sounds to me like you handled it as well as could be. There is no planning for this. The objective is to get yourself and your dog out of this situation. Some people have meth labs, marijuana patches, and stills in the woods, and don't want anyone intruding. Some may just get upset about you being on their property, but some are upset because they are hiding something they don't want discovered.

Old Post 08-08-2019 03:57 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Click the cell phone on video and call the sheriff.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 08-08-2019 05:24 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Had my dog get in mans car port monday night. I drove around to get him and met the man coming down drive way in his underwear and boots. I knew at that point it wasnt goin to be good. I just apologized and agreed that us coon hunters are sorry bunch. And we should feel bad about waking him up EVERY night. I got my hands on my dog. And he kept complaining and I kept agreeing as i walked back to truck. It was about 2 in morning and he wasnt cussing or threatening so I just let him rant. I did think real hard about turning loose by his house just little while ago but I didnt. 10 years ago would have handled situation lot differently.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 08-08-2019 08:08 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Freakyone

quote:
Originally posted by freakyone
I wear a go pro every where I go so if they want to get crazy the coroner can deal with them.

Staying calm and being the adult in the situation is the way to go, sheriff departments have problems with people threatening folks with violence. Last time this happened to me the 911 operater had the sycophantic land owner 200 yards away from me by time the deputies showed up. Good chance the operated saved my life. The land owner was sucking up to me in the end so that I didn't press charges, which the deputies wanted.

Old Post 08-08-2019 10:20 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is a key thing lost in the discussion. You and your dog are on the mans property. For me that is a game changer on how I would control myself. The thing about calling 911 right away is you have a witness to his actions. Your not going to come out ahead whooping up on a man on his property. In a wal mart parking lot. I am not calling 911. He wants to be vocal he gets what he deserves. In the middle of the night on his property with him holding the gun. I want witnesses that I mean no harm and want a peaceful resolution to the situation. 911 is the best way to achieve that.

Old Post 08-08-2019 12:23 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've stood in a field in the dark with a man that had just killed two dogs waving a gun around, and listened to him scream about his God-given right to protect his property from man or beast. Lots of internet toughs that are gonna bend barrels and burn houses, but when you deal firsthand with a person that's genuinely unhinged that just might shoot you in the face, you'll reevaluate how these situations are handled.
My particular situation occurred on a cast. No guns vs one gun is a pretty lopsided equation. Had someone on the cast been carrying, there's no telling how it would have ended up.
Law enforcement is a good call, and the right call. But I'm here to tell you its a long twenty minutes waiting for the cops to get there when everyone is mad, someone is crazy, there's a gun in the dark and you aren't holding it...

Old Post 08-08-2019 01:12 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

In the particular situation presented, I don't see non violence as an option-The man confronted him unarmed, he tried to calm him down but it didn't work and he said I'm going to go get my gun and shoot you and or your dog. I don't know about everybody else but at that point I feel my only option is to make sure he doesn't make it to that gun! The law can sort it out later.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 08-08-2019 01:59 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Call 911. No animal is worth a humans life Period.

Old Post 08-08-2019 02:35 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I've stood in a field in the dark with a man that had just killed two dogs waving a gun around, and listened to him scream about his God-given right to protect his property from man or beast. Lots of internet toughs that are gonna bend barrels and burn houses, but when you deal firsthand with a person that's genuinely unhinged that just might shoot you in the face, you'll reevaluate how these situations are handled.
My particular situation occurred on a cast. No guns vs one gun is a pretty lopsided equation. Had someone on the cast been carrying, there's no telling how it would have ended up.
Law enforcement is a good call, and the right call. But I'm here to tell you its a long twenty minutes waiting for the cops to get there when everyone is mad, someone is crazy, there's a gun in the dark and you aren't holding it...

If you don't mind my asking what ended up happening to the guy after he shot the dogs and like later on with the law? Did he get taken to court or anything?

Old Post 08-08-2019 02:35 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Tone broke

I tone break my dogs as soon as they cross property lines I tone them in asap. Non issue for me.Most everything I hunt does not check in unless toned or treed.
But what about a night hunt, I have a paid handler,told my wife I'm worth it. The day will come when you can tone a dog in a night hunt for the above reason.

Last edited by Jason Bourne on 08-08-2019 at 04:18 PM

Old Post 08-08-2019 04:05 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
If you don't mind my asking what ended up happening to the guy after he shot the dogs and like later on with the law? Did he get taken to court or anything?

He was arrested that night, made the local news, folks got lawyers, etc. We were in various stages of the court system for almost two years with all the continuances, cancellations, etc. Long story short, nothing happened to the guy besides the initial couple days he spent in county jail, and whatever fees he incurred from his lawyer. One of the other dog owners talked at the time like he would pursue a civil suit, but I don't know that he ever did. This was in Oklahoma at a UKC hunt.

About the same time, a very similar case took place in Arkansas, and the dog owner was awarded $145,000 in damages.

Old Post 08-08-2019 05:37 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

They go to pointing a gun at me and I'll tell you exactly what I'd do.

Whatever he tells me

Old Post 08-08-2019 06:32 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Calling Law Enforcement is probably the most ideal thing to do. However, the fella above that said 20 or 30 mins is a long time to wait is spot on. With a dog treed barking every breath people don't understand we can't just call them off trees, well most can't anyway.

The problem with calling the law is first off you are admitting to trespassing and depending how hard the landowner wants to push things is could spell doom for yourself. Some people there is just no reasoning with and the guy I encountered there was not. I told him I didn't want to be over there just as much as he didn't want me in there. I have never even put shocking collars on my dogs in the 13 years I have been doing this but if this happens with any type of regularity I could definitely see it being very beneficial.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 08-08-2019 07:24 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Okay Trevor so how did things turn out ?

Old Post 08-08-2019 07:50 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
Okay Trevor so how did things turn out ?

I simply yelled back I was sorry and I was getting my dog as quickly as I could. I got the feeling he was all talk the type of crap he was yelling at me. Bud had he actually started shooting I honestly don't know how I would have reacted.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 08-08-2019 08:27 PM
yadkintar
Banned

They are not going to have a stationery target with me am cutting my light out and this fat kid is going to show them moves they never seen before lol.

Tar

Old Post 08-08-2019 09:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote