UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > shy hounds & breeding
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

shy hounds & breeding

Always heard never breed a shy dog. Is this the right thing to do no matter how good of a hunter the dog is

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-20-2020 07:12 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I want nothing to do with a shy hound. I surely aren't breeding one

Old Post 09-20-2020 02:16 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: shy hounds & breeding

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
Always heard never breed a shy dog. Is this the right thing to do no matter how good of a hunter the dog is

My rule of thumb is very simple.
(1) Would I be satisfied if every pup turned out exactly like the mother?
(2) Would I be satisfied if every pup turned out exactly like the father?

To me, the question should be: "Would you like to have a pup that turned out just like him/her"?

I would be more concerned with talent and ability moreso than a single personality trait (unless it's meanness). I'd rather have a shy, or mild-mannered COON DOG than a bold TRASH RUNNER.

I often relate to baseball. I'd would definitely want Zack Greinke (shy-but a likely Hall of Famer) pitching for me than someone that was bold, but not talented.

Old Post 09-23-2020 03:04 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

How was the rest of the litter the shy dog came from?

What were the parents and grand parents like?

Is the shyness genetic or man made?

Do other shy dogs show up in the 3 gen. Pedigree of the dog(s) you want to raise pups from?

Shyness in dogs can be a man made issue and not necessarily a genetic fault.

Old Post 09-23-2020 05:50 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

DL, that’s the questions I would ask...

I have bred a shy dog before but it was man made...I raised some good dogs from that cross...

If the shy dog comes from a good line of dogs I would breed it especially when you said it is a good hunting dog...

If the female is the shy one then it is possible she will imprint some shy tendencies in the pups just by them being around her as pups but I wouldn’t let that stop me...

I would put an old sweaty T-shirt of mine in the whelping box when the pups are a couple of weeks old...replace it in a few days with another one...I want the pups to smell me 24/7...

And just socialize them as much as possible...as they get a little older I will give them a little love and then just watch them play...I want them to know I am around and will call once in a while but I want them to want to explore more than them wanting to be with me...

I teach them to come running to gunfire at 8 to 10 weeks of age...it is very simple...create the right scenario and they will excitedly come to gunfire...

No sense in making a dog or pup skittish to gunfire in the woods when they can be broken at home and this will prevent gun shyness...It’s easier to prevent gun shyness than to cure it...

Old Post 09-24-2020 01:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Very Sound Advice!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

I have bred a shy dog before but it was man made...I raised some good dogs from that cross...

If the shy dog comes from a good line of dogs I would breed it especially when you said it is a good hunting dog...

If the female is the shy one then it is possible she will imprint some shy tendencies in the pups just by them being around her as pups but I wouldn’t let that stop me...

I would put an old sweaty T-shirt of mine in the whelping box when the pups are a couple of weeks old...replace it in a few days with another one...I want the pups to smell me 24/7...

And just socialize them as much as possible...as they get a little older I will give them a little love and then just watch them play...I want them to know I am around and will call once in a while but I want them to want to explore more than them wanting to be with me...

I teach them to come running to gunfire at 8 to 10 weeks of age...it is very simple...create the right scenario and they will excitedly come to gunfire...

No sense in making a dog or pup skittish to gunfire in the woods when they can be broken at home and this will prevent gun shyness...It’s easier to prevent gun shyness than to cure it...

I think this is some of the best advice I've seen on here!!!

Old Post 09-25-2020 03:47 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Very Sound Advice!!!

quote:

I think this is some of the best advice I've seen on here!!!

Old Post 09-25-2020 03:47 AM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

shy dogs or highly INTELLIGENT

quote:

X3, There is a big difference between a genetically shy dog which can be mental illness, and a dog that has distrusting personality because they are highly intelligent. If a highly intelligent pup hasn't been properly handled they will appear to be genetically shy. It is my opinion that a hound can not be outstanding unless they are highly intelligent. Don't mistake one for the other as you might be missing the opportunity of a lifetime!

Old Post 09-26-2020 02:32 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

Have bred a very shy female in an attempt to change her mentality. Worked out very well. Went in shy to the touch, shy to a gun shot, shy to people in general. 6 weeks after pups she was a completely different hound.

Life changes change people

Life changes can change hounds the same.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 09-26-2020 03:04 PM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: shy dogs or highly INTELLIGENT

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
X3, There is a big difference between a genetically shy dog which can be mental illness, and a dog that has distrusting personality because they are highly intelligent. If a highly intelligent pup hasn't been properly handled they will appear to be genetically shy. It is my opinion that a hound can not be outstanding unless they are highly intelligent. Don't mistake one for the other as you might be missing the opportunity of a lifetime!

Excellent post and I agree...

Old Post 09-27-2020 02:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

thanks

great info. My hound has always been extremely cautious with any new situation. She did submissive peeing when I picked her up at 7 weeks old . Anytime she had to walk over or around something new she took it very slow. Will not get close to strangers , but I don't socialize my dogs to other people. Always take my pups out hunting or just running in the woods starting at 10 weeks old by herself with just me. Did some target shooting with a 22 mag about 40 yards from her when she was about 4 months old and she had no problem with it. Shot around her other times and she ignores it. She taught herself to tree coon. Never hunted with another dog , never had a coon shot out to her. She just loves to get out and hunt. She is outlaw/moonlight breeding , will be making the decision on breeding after I get another hunting season in and see how much she improves. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like a good portion of her shyness could have been man made by me.

Old Post 09-27-2020 03:50 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote