UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Issue
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Malcolm Carter
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid Issue

What are the symptoms of thyroid issues. I have a 2 year old that has gone from a deadly accurate hound to not acting like he wants to hunt to really struggling with his tracks, it just seems like there is something that is just not right.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2023 07:58 PM
Malcolm Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Malcolm Carter Click here to Send Malcolm Carter a Private Message Click Here to Email Malcolm Carter Find more posts by Malcolm Carter Add Malcolm Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Dogs with thyroid issues will often be bothered by cold weather. They become lethargic when it’s cold. I believe it affects their ability to run a track well also. I also believe it is genetic.

It is treatable with daily medication. It is not curable as far as I know.

Old Post 01-29-2023 08:52 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thyroid Issue

quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Carter
What are the symptoms of thyroid issues. I have a 2 year old that has gone from a deadly accurate hound to not acting like he wants to hunt to really struggling with his tracks, it just seems like there is something that is just not right.

Definitely have this dog checked for thyroid issues. If needed thyroid problems are EASY treated and not expensive at all. Dave

Old Post 01-29-2023 09:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Don’t use him as a stud if he indeed has thyroid issues. It is a genetic fault that gets passed on. Have him caste-rated, the daily pill is inexpensive or was when I was giving it to my dog and enjoy him if you like what he is as a coon dog.

Old Post 01-29-2023 11:47 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Have him checked for Lyme, that also does exactly that to a dog. Had a dog that was lightning fast, got full blown Lyme, struggled to go 200 yards on a track.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-30-2023 04:03 AM
harleydan1956 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000584631277

Some good info from the Tree Dog Doc

Old Post 01-30-2023 09:55 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000584631277

Some good info from the Tree Dog Doc

Really good info. With social media we have today it is so easy to get wrong information.

Old Post 01-30-2023 03:56 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

The thyroid gland is found on the throat area, leading dogs that pull hard can damage the thyroid gland, every thyroid issue is NOT heritary in nature. Dave

Old Post 01-31-2023 08:31 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

The thyroid gland is found on the throat area, leading dogs that pull hard can damage the thyroid gland, every thyroid issue is NOT heritary in nature. Dave

Old Post 01-31-2023 08:31 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

True enough Dave. I was merely attempting to suggest the possibility of my experience with my own dog and the 4 generations that preceded him (we surmise in hind sight!) on the sires side.

Old Post 01-31-2023 08:42 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

All these dogs were very good pleasure dogs. Had good noses, decent track dogs though mine wasn’t as good a track dog as his ancestors were but he was a tremendous tree dog. He treed his first night in the woods without ever having been exposed to a coon. His down fall was that he was not a great track dog which in hind sight may have been to some degree effected by the thyroid condition.

Last edited by DL NH on 01-31-2023 at 08:50 PM

Old Post 01-31-2023 08:43 PM