UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Wondering what to do
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wjoey
Banned

Wondering what to do

As I sit here this morning Im confused , I have only been hunting maybe 5 times since last march, it dosent bother me so much as I just dont feel good but its bothering me about my dog , he deserves so much more, I tried letting some one hunt him 2 times and it did not work out and I promised him last time when I brought him home he was here to stay, I just have no energy left after my day is done and a knot on my side that makes me feel sick, eyesight that is failing and I cant drive much but Im thankful for being able to do what I can, I need motivation or I need to just sell or give it all away.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:01 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Try finding a hunting partner to follow your dogs so you can still sit on the tailgate and listen to a race.

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:32 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Turn your trusty hound into a squirrel dog

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:36 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Joe you ain't in no worse shape than me !! It's that special time of year !! Get out the 22 get ole bam out and go make the fur fly !! I am going to enjoy my pup if I have to go by myself. Get your head right.

Love ya brother.

Tar

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I have often thought about what it will be like for me when I can’t follow dogs any more. It’s just not something you can do, these dogs are part of what and who you are. Get out and do what you can , Bam understands and he will always be willing to please you. Imagine a life with out your dog..... You’re way better off keeping him and doing what you can with him.

Old Post 11-22-2018 03:38 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sleepy head
[B]Turn your trusty hound into a squirrel dog

Sleepy you gotta be kidding. A good squirrel dog will walk a young man to death. lol

Old Post 11-22-2018 03:46 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver

Sleepy you gotta be kidding. A good squirrel dog will walk a young man to death. lol

Maybe he won't be that good. Lol, Joe can wake up in the morning all refreshed and hit the timber

Old Post 11-22-2018 03:50 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I wonder about this issue quite a lot. If I don't go out with my dogs I'm left at home with nothing to do. I wish I had another indoor hobby or interest to keep my interested but I don't. I like to watch MMA, and watch bible studies but I need more. I think that's the hell of getting old. There is fewer and fewer things to do. I suggest that anyone getting old look into technology to help with reading. There is a camera that one slides across a print and shows it on a TV screen. You can make the print any size you like. I want to learn to use one before my sight get too bad.

Old Post 11-22-2018 06:42 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver

X2, aint it the truth! I love it though. I've hunted them both at same time, squirrel dog in day, then hounds at night. Here the squirrel hunting is tougher than the coon hunting to me. Walk to tree after tree in some tough stuff ,bleeding like a stuck hog.

Old Post 11-22-2018 09:32 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Joe Wilbanks

Man, I sure hate to hear this kind of news, but I know the feeling. I am starting to have some of those same feelings, I am starting to think that I really don't need any dogs. It's sure getting harder to climb these mountains and it's not nearly as much fun anymore. However, it sure is hard to think that we are actual going to quit coonhunting, at least for me. Keep your dog, you know he would be hard to replace. We don't have to hunt every night to enjoy hunting, if you only hunt once in a while that's okay! Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-22-2018 11:01 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

see a good doctor

Joe, I know exactly how you feel. Just over a year ago my give a hoot factor was extremely low. did not feel like doing anything, did not have any stamina. I was worried that I might have some blockage in my heart, went to a new doctor and he checked me over and told me that he did not think that was the case. got a stress test---ok-- he had lab work done and found my B-12 was low.
I now get a B-12 shot ever 4 weeks and feel a lot better and am hunting a bunch more than last year.

like he told me though, I am 72 and the stamina is a part of that.
Good luck.
Don Cummings

Old Post 11-23-2018 01:14 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mine comes from always conditioning one getting it ready for the hunts. Then I turned into a senior citizen and got fat with bad knees. My mind says giddie up my body says whoa lol my legs don't go nowhere close to where I tell them to. I love to compete but seeing the young guys 100 yrds ahead of me all night makes me grouchy. So all my freinds that I have hunted with all these years are in the same boat we just pleasure hunt usually about at least 4 nights a week. Hopefully those 1 hr DH mini slams will be the ticket too bring the old doggies back in.

Tar

Old Post 11-23-2018 01:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe you should get your Testoserone level checked. I saw an 80 yr old man on TV running around like he was 30. Or find out from Tarbaby what was in that cocktail "those guys" gave to their dogs that he is always talking about. And you should also get your thyroid level checked while you are at it.

Old Post 11-23-2018 02:11 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I went tru the same thing over a year ago, had the won’t to but had no energy and was ready to quit, last December they found cancer on my left kidney, removed one kidney in January, iv had 4 surgeries this year with last one in September, my testosterone levels was at 150, should be 500 or better, Dr said he didn’t know how I even walked in the door, Since then iv cut my weight down 15lbs, on Meds and my testosterone is 450, I have energy, I fill Great and hunt every day or night that I don’t work, If your Dr can’t get you back on your feet, get your quality of life back Get A New Dr, good luck and Never Stop Moving!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-23-2018 02:19 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mrs tar won't put up with my testosterone being any higher lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-23-2018 02:42 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, can y'all just imagine Tarbaby on testosterone or thyroid pills? Mr Gingerich would have to hire more Moderators.

Old Post 11-23-2018 02:51 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Fellow senior citizens, if you find that pill or liquid let me know . The
last year I resemble all those things. Absolutely cannot get motivated.

Old Post 11-23-2018 09:35 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

Must be catching whatever it is, I have come down with the same symptoms. Lol. I know several men around here that say they have the same symptoms and I just thought it was old age. Maybe a cure for this, may not be, who knows? We may be relegated to internet coonhunting if something isn't done about this condition. Ali I really know, is it is much easier to talk about coonhunting these days, than to actually coonhunt every night, now that's work. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2018 10:23 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Roy I was 8yrs old the first time I heard a hounds voice treed off in the distance setting on my grandmas back porch. That sound drew me to it I didn't know what it was but it soothed me and excited me at the same time. It still does just takes me longer to get there. I don't even care if it's my dog I just love the sound of it and that I am blessed enough to still be able to hear it.

Tar

Old Post 11-23-2018 10:26 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Isn't it weird how the sound of a hound treeing just draws you to it like a magnet to steel.

Old Post 11-23-2018 10:40 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Listening to a dog treed is music to my ears, it's another thing that I am grateful for among many others. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2018 11:38 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I still love to hear it, I just can't get motivated to load a dog and drive 2 miles. Not only my dogs, I had a fleet of Harleys and I have ridden only 325 miles this YEAR. Used to do that before lunch. I bought a side x side and have literally drove within 10 ft of a tree. Would like to buy a quart of wan too.

Old Post 11-24-2018 02:15 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

If you can find any of that wantoo , I will buy a couple of gallons. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-24-2018 02:59 AM
swamp1
Banned

Lol

It'll tickle yoir inards and cure what ails ya!! It don't take much,just a little is a nough. XXX 🍎 Coffee.

I take a mason jar with me to the tree,sometimes.
Seriously though, its the thought of getting ready to go that puts you in the lull state of mind. Once you turn them hounds loose, think about that great peaceful feeling you get.How your ailments seem to disappear. I too understand how life can take the wind out of your sails sometimes, and if you can maintain healthwise, you gotta hit the Gas,punch it!!!

Last edited by swamp1 on 11-24-2018 at 04:16 PM

Old Post 11-24-2018 04:18 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

There is also the very real possibility that you are depressed. Speak to your doctor and tell him about how things are and suggest that maybe you are depressed. He has a whole bag of things to throw at it.

Old Post 11-24-2018 04:53 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote