UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How do I get into Coonhunting?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: hunt

quote:
Originally posted by treedog69
Find u a pleasure hunter that lives to hunt.that understands your situation and wants to help u out.if you buy a hound get a made coondog for your first hound hunt hard and learn hard

alright thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-13-2018 12:51 AM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Cowboy boots are horrible when wet and cause blisters I'd rather wear my tennis shoes than them.
Taking your own dog on a competition hunt isn't possible unless you are a participant. You would need a dog that is registered in whatever registry whose hunt you would be entering. Nearly all you pay entry at the grounds of event . I would not recommend entering and hunting in one until you have spectated on some casts first and have some experience hunting your own dogs for a while.

How about some more work oriented cowboy boots like these? https://www.amazon.com/Ariat-Mens-G...Bboots&th=1
I might have to just bite the bullet and get some muckers. After I've spectated some casts and I get a dog, besides WMAs near me where can I hunt and train my dogs? That's my biggest problem cause I've only got about an acre of land and by the time I get my dog old enough all the WMAS will be closed for small game season. Is my best bet to find an older hunter and he'll know where to go?

Old Post 12-13-2018 12:55 AM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsearless
UKC Forum Member

if you already own some cowboy boots like you listed and you're comfortable in them then it wouldn't hurt for a couple hunts but i would def. not buy a pair for coonhunting.

not sure exactly what it is like where you live but here in indiana we have a descent amount of state owned property that everyone is aloud to hunt. call your local DNR office and ask if there is any near you, also make sure to ask and educate yourself on the seasons.

otherwise you may have to go asking for permission from farmers and land owners near you.

bsearlesa@gmail.com
(765) 661-2563
Mt. Etna Indiana

Old Post 12-13-2018 03:08 PM
bsearless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsearless Click here to Send bsearless a Private Message Click Here to Email bsearless Find more posts by bsearless Add bsearless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bsearless
if you already own some cowboy boots like you listed and you're comfortable in them then it wouldn't hurt for a couple hunts but i would def. not buy a pair for coonhunting.

not sure exactly what it is like where you live but here in indiana we have a descent amount of state owned property that everyone is aloud to hunt. call your local DNR office and ask if there is any near you, also make sure to ask and educate yourself on the seasons.

otherwise you may have to go asking for permission from farmers and land owners near you.

I think I’ll just get some real cheap rubber boots for my first few times so I don’t have to invest a ton of money right off the bat. But the public land near me has a stupid short small game season, with most of them ending in like January and February so by the time I get a dog I doubt I’d be able to really hunt. Can I go after the small game season is over and just tree the coons but not shoot em? Otherwise is there an app or list of landowners who want coons removed or will let you lease land or something?

Old Post 12-13-2018 06:00 PM
bsearless
UKC Forum Member

you will have to research the seasons in your area / state. Here in indiana we can run the dogs all year basically but can only harvest the coon a few months.

not sure there would be a list.. its just something you've got to get out ask for permission make some friends find some land to hunt the hard way.

bsearlesa@gmail.com
(765) 661-2563
Mt. Etna Indiana

Old Post 12-13-2018 06:15 PM
bsearless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bsearless Click here to Send bsearless a Private Message Click Here to Email bsearless Find more posts by bsearless Add bsearless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bsearless
you will have to research the seasons in your area / state. Here in indiana we can run the dogs all year basically but can only harvest the coon a few months.

not sure there would be a list.. its just something you've got to get out ask for permission make some friends find some land to hunt the hard way.

What happens if your dog catches a coon and accidently kills it out of season?

Old Post 12-13-2018 06:23 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Peterhunts101
What happens if your dog catches a coon and accidently kills it out of season?

The same thing that happens if your house dog catches and kills a squirrel in your backyard... nothing.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-13-2018 06:54 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
The same thing that happens if your house dog catches and kills a squirrel in your backyard... nothing.

Oh yea that’s true I was just thinking maybe public land was more strict, I’m assuming you can’t bring the coon home and sell the fur then even though it was an accident lol

Old Post 12-13-2018 08:26 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Peterhunts101

Start a new thread and post asking if anyone hunts in your area. Example, any hunters in St, Petersburg area? Hope this helps

Old Post 12-13-2018 09:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: Peterhunts101

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Start a new thread and post asking if anyone hunts in your area. Example, any hunters in St, Petersburg area? Hope this helps

I could probably find some people that way, but i don’t know if I wanna meet someone off the internet the whole stranger danger thing haha I mean I’m sure it’d be fine but kinda sketches me out

Old Post 12-13-2018 09:57 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Oh yea that’s true I was just thinking maybe public land was more strict, I’m assuming you can’t bring the coon home and sell the fur then even though it was an accident lol

Furs are no good except in the winter months the hair will pull out. Coon hides are not worth much of anything at all right now and you'd be very unlikely to find anyone to buy it. Also you are in Florida last I knew there is no season for racoons they can be taken at anytime during the year. You need to go to Florida's Dept of Wildlife website to get all the legalities and I'm sure you will need a small game hunting license before you ever go even without a firearm just running your dogs most states require it.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-13-2018 10:35 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Furs are no good except in the winter months the hair will pull out. Coon hides are not worth much of anything at all right now and you'd be very unlikely to find anyone to buy it. Also you are in Florida last I knew there is no season for racoons they can be taken at anytime during the year. You need to go to Florida's Dept of Wildlife website to get all the legalities and I'm sure you will need a small game hunting license before you ever go even without a firearm just running your dogs most states require it.

Theres no season you can hunt em year round, but in WMAs which is what they call the public hunting land in Florida they have a small game season which are pretty short usually. But I'll get a license before I go, unless I'm just spectating. I don't think Florida has a small game license but I'll also ask the hunt organizer what all I need. I think thanks to you guys I've got everything I need, I'll probably go on a hunt in the start of the new year, wait till after Christmas (plus I get to ask for some gear for christmas!) I'm just curious though how long nite hunts usually are, like if the deadline is 7 that means it starts at 7 right? If it starts at 7 how late will it usually end? And also do you guys have any tips for staying up through the hunts cause I'm an early riser, so I tend to go to bed at like 10 o clock? Thanks a bunch by the way.

Old Post 12-14-2018 12:08 AM
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
How about some more work oriented cowboy boots like these? https://www.amazon.com/Ariat-Mens-G...Bboots&th=1
I might have to just bite the bullet and get some muckers. After I've spectated some casts and I get a dog, besides WMAs near me where can I hunt and train my dogs? That's my biggest problem cause I've only got about an acre of land and by the time I get my dog old enough all the WMAS will be closed for small game season. Is my best bet to find an older hunter and he'll know where to go?

Although most coon hunters will be willing to take you hunting with them do not expect them to share the places they hunt with you.
The fastest way to make them not be your friend is to go back and hunt the places they take you hunting. unless its state land or something where anyone is allowed to hunt..
Finding places to hunt will be on you. you will have to seek out land owners and ask them for permission for you to hunt coon on their land.
You will find that although coon hunters are friendly and more than happy to help you get started,, they are a funny bunch. often although they are friendly you will see there is more jealousy between them than old women at a pie baking contest.
Going back and hunting another coon hunters spots is one of the elements of coon hunting etiquette (rules of conduct) that you just don't do.

Last edited by toe cutter on 12-14-2018 at 01:25 AM

Old Post 12-14-2018 01:23 AM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

my advice is to buy a good broke dog when just starting out. a good broke coon hound will teach you how the sport can be very enjoyable. although it can be very rewarding to see a dog tree coon after you have trained it yourself,, training a coon hound is not for someone just starting out.. so many people buy a pup and then realize they are in way over their head. they get attached to the pup and then the dog doesn't make the grade and you will end up feeding a dog that can't tree a coon till it dies of old age. the success rate of the best trainers in the world is not all that high. it takes a lot of knowledge in breeding and how to train them. With you just starting out coon hunting you will ruin a lot of dogs before you ever get the knowledge on how to properly train a well bred coon hound. read all you can find on coon hunting with a hound. find someone that has a decent dog that will take you along hunting with him and his dog. then find a decent dog already trained to buy and start hunting with. preferably find a well seasoned coon hunter to help you find the right dog.

Old Post 12-14-2018 01:35 AM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

I never considered the etiquette involved, but that would be an a$$hole move to hunt this guys spot that he probably worked to find.

quote:
Originally posted by toe cutter
my advice is to buy a good broke dog when just starting out. a good broke coon hound will teach you how the sport can be very enjoyable. although it can be very rewarding to see a dog tree coon after you have trained it yourself,, training a coon hound is not for someone just starting out.. so many people buy a pup and then realize they are in way over their head. they get attached to the pup and then the dog doesn't make the grade and you will end up feeding a dog that can't tree a coon till it dies of old age. the success rate of the best trainers in the world is not all that high. it takes a lot of knowledge in breeding and how to train them. With you just starting out coon hunting you will ruin a lot of dogs before you ever get the knowledge on how to properly train a well bred coon hound. read all you can find on coon hunting with a hound. find someone that has a decent dog that will take you along hunting with him and his dog. then find a decent dog already trained to buy and start hunting with. preferably find a well seasoned coon hunter to help you find the right dog.

Yea I’ve decided I’m gonna buy a finished dog, it’s also less of a long term commitment. Thanks for the advice

Old Post 12-14-2018 02:13 AM