UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog food and the overall price
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Dog food and the overall price

Isn't it crazy how expensive quality dog food is now. I have been feeding Blue Buffalo for the past several months and its pretty expensive also. I get 38lbs a bag at Costco for 60 dollars. Pretty high!

What worries me is seeing all these vets and reviews saying its terrible for your dog..

Pro Plan, Eukenuba, hills science diet... ETC are all running near 2 dollars per pound. Just insane

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-24-2023 02:36 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHC00N
UKC Forum Member

I switched over to Hi-Standard. I paid 42 bucks for a 50 pound back of 24-20. The dog seems to love it and from what I have read online it appears to be pretty good food. 42 is still a bit for a bag but darn near half price for some of the pro plan formulas and other box store brands.

Old Post 01-24-2023 04:37 PM
OHC00N is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHC00N Click here to Send OHC00N a Private Message Click Here to Email OHC00N Find more posts by OHC00N Add OHC00N to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I used to feed Purina pro plan and have switched to Joy supermeal 30/20 and never looked back. It is a good product. If it is available in your area you may consider it.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 01-24-2023 10:45 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I went to Pride 26/18% $32 for 50lbs. And dogs do well on it and eat it well.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-25-2023 02:23 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Dog Food

If you can get Joy do it you won’t go anywhere else. People that have problems with it just don’t know how to feed. I was feeding joy but moved and it’s not available anywhere near by. I’ve seen most places are $45-50 a bag of joy. Which isn’t bad that’s a dollar a pound. If you can’t get Joy get Kinetic. I’ve been feeding this for about 3 months now and go through a 35 pound bag every three weeks for 2 dogs. It’s $58 a bag shipped to my door.

Old Post 01-25-2023 01:32 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Gleason
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Food

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
If you can get Joy do it you won’t go anywhere else. People that have problems with it just don’t know how to feed. I was feeding joy but moved and it’s not available anywhere near by. I’ve seen most places are $45-50 a bag of joy. Which isn’t bad that’s a dollar a pound. If you can’t get Joy get Kinetic. I’ve been feeding this for about 3 months now and go through a 35 pound bag every three weeks for 2 dogs. It’s $58 a bag shipped to my door.

I feed Joy and love it...

But I'm wondering what is the proper way to feed it?

CH GRNITECH PR'TIMBERCREEKS BLUE RUBY

Old Post 01-25-2023 04:00 PM
Bob Gleason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Gleason Click here to Send Bob Gleason a Private Message Click Here to Email Bob Gleason Find more posts by Bob Gleason Add Bob Gleason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
poolecw
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dog Food

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gleason
I feed Joy and love it...

But I'm wondering what is the proper way to feed it?

Start by feeding the recommended amount on the back of the bag for you dog's weight. Monitor him for a few weeks to see if he's gaining, loosing, or maintaining weight. Adjust as needed.

Most people overfeed their dogs. A healthy dog looks a little lean.

Old Post 01-25-2023 07:07 PM
poolecw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for poolecw Click here to Send poolecw a Private Message Click Here to Email poolecw Visit poolecw's homepage! Find more posts by poolecw Add poolecw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I realize that the cost of everything goes up over time but dogfood companies have really taken it to the next level. 30 years ago, my hounds were healthy as can be and they were eating feeds that had corn, Grain, etc..... Now we're told these things are bad so the cost is through the roof. I don't know how some an own a kennel full of dogs with these cost. I only keep 2 dogs for the reason of better training but now it's partially because of the cost of feed.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 01-27-2023 04:29 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I’m questioning the quality of the ingredients these dog food companies are using also.

I work for a metal stamping company and we’re always looking for cheaper suppliers.

Hard to believe the dog food companies aren’t doing the same.

Old Post 01-27-2023 05:40 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOcoondogs
UKC Forum Member

I like to use Showtime 24-20 for my hounds, $34.30 per 50# bag. I have to cut them back to the 21-12 in the summer it's only $25.75 per 50#. I have tried a few others but I always notice the dogs poop so much more and with the showtime it is solid too.

Old Post 01-27-2023 06:00 PM
MOcoondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOcoondogs Click here to Send MOcoondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email MOcoondogs Find more posts by MOcoondogs Add MOcoondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I feed showtime for a couple of years and the dogs did well on it. Availability is the problem lately around here

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 01-27-2023 06:42 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
I’m questioning the quality of the ingredients these dog food companies are using also.

I work for a metal stamping company and we’re always looking for cheaper suppliers.

Hard to believe the dog food companies aren’t doing the same.

I watched a documentary on Netflix few years ago called either Pet Fueled or Pet Fooled I can't remember but it will open your eyes to the pet food industry if you can find it.

Old Post 01-27-2023 09:20 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

Is joy better now days? I tried it years ago and it was awful on more than one dog

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 01-28-2023 08:19 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by randywoodard2
Is joy better now days? I tried it years ago and it was awful on more than one dog

I tried 26/18 and 24/20 and my dogs didn't like either.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 01-29-2023 03:20 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

heart

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-fo...isease-in-pets/ ,, here is link about enlarge heart problems from some foods includes blue buffalo and taste of the wild, very high priced foods. ...avoid foods if peas or potatoes is high on the ingredient list.

Old Post 01-29-2023 08:19 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark nethery
UKC Forum Member

Black gold

Can’t beat it 35 $ for 50 lb bags beef base fed it for 20 years always good. No recalls 5 star rating hard black stools only once a day. Dogs are fat slick and hunt all winter they look like they did in September

Home off
SUPER STAKES SIRE
UKC DNA Profiled
GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter (Grch GrNtCh Crows an Grants Cutter x GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Hope )
At stud.300 negative Brucellosis

Pr Trick Magic Dixie ( GrchGrntch2 Charley Creek Big Mike x Grch GrNtCh Trick Magic Trudy)

Pr Stylish Cutter Jr ( GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter x Pr Trick Magic Dixie sister t Bad Butch )

Semen stored at Peewee valley
Grntch Stylish Hammer is a 2019 UKC preformance sire. DNA profile in UKC and PKC see stud dog page for ad on GrNtch Stylish Hammer 👍🇺🇸

Old Post 02-03-2023 01:03 AM
mark nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark nethery Click here to Send mark nethery a Private Message Find more posts by mark nethery Add mark nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

The feed I use went from 46 cents per pound to 69 cents per pound.

Old Post 02-03-2023 08:36 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Pet Fooled

https://youtu.be/x6LKP9Prfrs Here is the video about pet food from youtube

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 02-04-2023 07:37 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Clicked twice sorry

Double posted

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 02-04-2023 07:37 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pet Fooled

quote:
Originally posted by jack haughton
https://youtu.be/x6LKP9Prfrs Here is the video about pet food from youtube
What you don't want to watch is a video on how human food is prepared.

Old Post 02-04-2023 08:15 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE
I tried 26/18 and 24/20 and my dogs didn't like either.

How long ago was this? I started feeding Joy last year and my dogs would pick out the Joy from the other dog foods I was trying at the time. I was feeding Native, but the dealer quit selling it so was trying other dog foods. Native was $50 40# before the big price raise on dog food. Have no idea what it is now.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 02-06-2023 04:26 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

It was in the 90"s when i tried it. Now i see everyone bragging on it. Has it changed?

Old Post 02-06-2023 06:47 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by randywoodard2
It was in the 90"s when i tried it. Now i see everyone bragging on it. Has it changed?

Yes, other than the Special Meal 26-12 it has been re-formulated.

Old Post 02-06-2023 08:43 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

THanks Josh. i might give it another try then

Old Post 02-07-2023 11:29 AM
Budly
UKC Forum Member

Dog Food

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I watched a documentary on Netflix few years ago called either Pet Fueled or Pet Fooled I can't remember but it will open your eyes to the pet food industry if you can find it.

It was called Pet Fooled. Its a good watch.

Old Post 02-11-2023 03:37 AM
Budly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Budly Click here to Send Budly a Private Message Click Here to Email Budly Find more posts by Budly Add Budly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote