UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > GrNiteCh Combs & Smith's Smokey
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rob Wilken
UKC Forum Member

Marvin Merner raised and campaigned the Tompsons Lucey dog. He made her a GRNT and won queen of hunt at bnt days I think in 1988. He bred her to Smoke and while she was there Clair hunted her and had to have her! Many moons ago Marv and I drove to WV and he bred a female to WV JACK but I don't think any turned out great. Lucey is still Marvin's measuring stick today...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-21-2014 12:49 PM
Rob Wilken is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Wilken Click here to Send Rob Wilken a Private Message Click Here to Email Rob Wilken Find more posts by Rob Wilken Add Rob Wilken to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gregory Kemp
John D. I owned Nt. Ch. W. Va. Jim,

Was he ever collected?

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 02-21-2014 03:37 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

No Billy, I wish, I would have had him collected. He had alot of actions that Smokey had. Hard deep hunter. But, as I stated earlier some of the pups I raise today remind of where that hard deep hunting came from. Jim was very nice. He won English days when he was young. I see some of Jim in the current dog I am hunting (Jr.) I have won a ton with him and what is really good about him is: You never ever have to worry about him going hunting!

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 02-21-2014 06:16 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Greg, I knew your Jr. dog went back to some of the C&S breeding but for the life of me I can't think of Jr.'s pedigree. Can you post it? Or, is it in an old yearbook? Thanks.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 02-21-2014 06:57 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

John, I will try to post it this weekend. I'm not much on posting it the right way, but I will get it on here. I'm trying to get him ready for black and tan days and the weather has been real rough here this winter (just like everyone's has). So, tonight will be an allnighter. But, again, I will get it on this weekend. I have not got to go to many hunts this past year or two, but that is about to change. I got a young dog out of Jr. with a 2nd place win, i'm gonna try and finish him to at least a Nt. Ch. and I usually don't try to finish one to Gr. but, my daughter is after me to finish Jr., so I think I will try and finish him this spring. And since I got some money on him in *KC, I may try and Ch. him. I'm not much on the whole *KC thing but, the title is nice I quess.

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 02-21-2014 08:05 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

Greg your WV Jim was the real deal also. Nice looking hound that could get it done quick....Yea I wished a lot of ole Smoke's dogs had been collected and that he had been too....but that wasn't being done much back then...............I believe the thinking was that we always wanted to go forward and not backwards....BUT in reality a lot of that old blood of the 80's and 90's was better than what is around today...At least more blk dogs were in the top 20 of the world hunt back then.

Old Post 02-22-2014 03:50 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PiedmontHuntin'
UKC Forum Member

i cant remember if he was, but did the smokey dog come from dale sowder breeding?? seems like i heard one time he did?

Old Post 02-23-2014 02:44 AM
PiedmontHuntin' is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PiedmontHuntin' Click here to Send PiedmontHuntin' a Private Message Click Here to Email PiedmontHuntin' Find more posts by PiedmontHuntin' Add PiedmontHuntin' to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PiedmontHuntin'
i cant remember if he was, but did the smokey dog come from dale sowder breeding?? seems like i heard one time he did?

Yes, heavy Sowder breeding.

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 02-23-2014 03:00 AM
blackdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackdawg Click here to Send blackdawg a Private Message Click Here to Email blackdawg Find more posts by blackdawg Add blackdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PiedmontHuntin'

Smokey was out of Dix River Hammering Hank x Sowders Ruby.

Hank was out of Ragin Blk Hoss who was out of Voyles Gentlemen Jim. Hank was also out of some line breeding on Umphers Tenn Rambler and had a touch of Sowders Go Joe.

Ruby was basically all Sowders and Gossetts breeding with Eads breeding on top going back to Eads Blk Bruiser. She also had Sowders Go Joe.

Most Smokey dogs had drive and a good nose which is why many of his pups went to bear hunters.

Old Post 02-23-2014 03:57 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

What's the closest you can find Smokey in a pedigree today? 3rd generation?

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 03-03-2014 12:58 AM
blackdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackdawg Click here to Send blackdawg a Private Message Click Here to Email blackdawg Find more posts by blackdawg Add blackdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davebastean
UKC Forum Member

Brock the Brandy female you have there is a grand-daughter and I think that's as close as you're going to see.

Treego's Smokin Bo (One-eye X Treego)

Old Post 03-03-2014 01:01 AM
davebastean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davebastean Click here to Send davebastean a Private Message Click Here to Email davebastean Find more posts by davebastean Add davebastean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by davebastean
Brock the Brandy female you have there is a grand-daughter and I think that's as close as you're going to see.

That's right, Dave. I had forgotten about that.

They have been hunting Brandy, and said you wouldn't know she's the same dog. She is in shape, and looking good! She has a good home with David.

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 03-03-2014 01:32 AM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

glad to hear

One of the best natured female's I have ever been around, My boy Joe sure was attached to her...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 03-03-2014 01:51 AM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike B
UKC Forum Member

Brandy

quote:
Originally posted by davebastean

Where did she end up at now ?

Old Post 03-03-2014 03:44 AM
Mike B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike B Click here to Send Mike B a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike B Find more posts by Mike B Add Mike B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Glad to hear she's in better shape. I had to put more air in the tires to get her hauled out to Autumn Oaks.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Old Post 03-03-2014 04:08 AM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davebastean
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blackdawg
That's right, Dave. I had forgotten about that.

They have been hunting Brandy, and said you wouldn't know she's the same dog. She is in shape, and looking good! She has a good home with David.

That's great! I have a pair of females here out of her last litter that I'm trying to work with between snow and ice storms. I really like their actions so far.

Treego's Smokin Bo (One-eye X Treego)

Old Post 03-03-2014 04:12 AM
davebastean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davebastean Click here to Send davebastean a Private Message Click Here to Email davebastean Find more posts by davebastean Add davebastean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

She is with David Mills in Barbourville, Ky.

John, I'd say it took a lot of extra air

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 03-03-2014 11:49 AM
Mike B
UKC Forum Member

Brandy

Brock are they going to try to breed her again if she comes in ?

Old Post 03-03-2014 03:17 PM
Mike B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike B Click here to Send Mike B a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike B Find more posts by Mike B Add Mike B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Brandy

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Brock are they going to try to breed her again if she comes in ?

Yes, they plan to. We tried breeding her to Smokey 7 last time around, and couldn't get it done. David will either breed her to Smokey 7, or his male, Venom.

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 03-03-2014 03:21 PM
Mike B
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Brandy

quote:
Yes, they plan to. We tried breeding her to Smokey 7 last time around, and couldn't get it done. David will either breed her to Smokey 7, or his male, Venom.

Did she cycle right ? Used to be she would catch real late. At her age it's all a gamble though. What's the Venom dog out of ?

Old Post 03-03-2014 04:15 PM
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

No, she didn't cycle right. We tried to breed her several times towards the end. She wasn't interested, and he wasn't interested.

Venom is out of Feelers Beast.

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 03-03-2014 04:32 PM
Mike B
UKC Forum Member

Brandy

Thanks Brock. Hopefully she's able to raise another litter.

Old Post 03-03-2014 06:19 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

Mike,do you think there's any chance that granddaughter of Smokey that you own might have any more pups or is she too old and done?

Old Post 03-04-2014 01:28 PM
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
What's the closest you can find Smokey in a pedigree today? 3rd generation?

Brandy and Cheyenne have ole Smoke in their 3rd gen and 3 or 4 times in 4gen......

A grand pup would have to be pushing 14yrs old.

Old Post 03-04-2014 07:55 PM
John D
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by skidiver
A grand pup would have to be pushing 14yrs old.

More like 10.

Old Post 03-04-2014 08:31 PM