UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Winner that wasn't reproducer
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Dark Hollow Smokey?

Berger...what was the scoop on DH Smokey?

517-605-3199

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-02-2017 10:45 AM
L.Richard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L.Richard Click here to Send L.Richard a Private Message Click Here to Email L.Richard Find more posts by L.Richard Add L.Richard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeerSlyer86
UKC Forum Member

How you figure Hobo Hoss wasn't and Ace wasn't

Home of the Rattle Box Squaller
Nitech' Pr' Teague's Bama Timber Rattler
GRNitech' Pr' Ky River Giz
Pr' Teague's Late Nite Riddler
Pr' BTTB Storm

Old Post 01-02-2017 02:39 PM
DeerSlyer86 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeerSlyer86 Click here to Send DeerSlyer86 a Private Message Click Here to Email DeerSlyer86 Find more posts by DeerSlyer86 Add DeerSlyer86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Very interesting?

It would appear...that most, not all, have put someone elses hound on this list.Does any one have one to add that could be their own hound?

517-605-3199

Old Post 01-02-2017 02:44 PM
L.Richard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L.Richard Click here to Send L.Richard a Private Message Click Here to Email L.Richard Find more posts by L.Richard Add L.Richard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Winner that wasn't reproducer

quote:
Originally posted by berger
Quite a few, some have been mentioned.

Black Hawk
Ragin Skipper
Ace

Black Hawk is a current top reproducer, and would easily make the all time list if he had a few more litters. Skipper was an excellent reproducer who went sterile farely young in life, and Ace was and will always remain the most bred Black & Tan in history, he was bred to anything in heat cuz everyone wanted a pup and still managed to reproduce. I'm curious you're theory on these 3?

Old Post 01-02-2017 03:31 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Winner that wasn't reproducer

quote:
Originally posted by berger
Quite a few, some have been mentioned
HardRock
World Champion Buck II
Dark Hollow Hobo Hoss
C&S Smokey II
Whitakers Smokey II
Dark Hollow Smokey
Black Hawk
Ragin Skipper
Ace

Did they or didn't they reproduce? You will have to decide that on your own!!!

Take a look at Hardrock won over $100,000. was bred to a few females but wasn't bred to the best females in the country. He did produce offspring that were in the top of there breed and states in another kennel club. He was bred to a good reproducing female Cherry Poppins and look what that reproduced. A litter of winners even produced a multiple pro hunt winner.
Now take WC BuckII he produced a top winning female that led the breed or close to the top for quite a few years in $KC. The Train dog mentioned also was top BNT in another World Hunt. Also High scoring BNT on a Thursday night at BNT days. If You talk to these guys that had a good Buck II offspring a lot of them will tell you they was the best they ever owned.
Hobo Hoss produced some very good top hounds he also through a lot of worthless ones.

C$S Smokey II he produced dogs that could tree but it seemed he couldn't produce more then average dog an nothing that could compete at the next level like he did if taken to town.
Whitakers Smokey II There were some good ones out of Him an some really liked what he produced. There is a breeder in Conn. that thought the world of II as they had a good one out of him and you can trace Smokey II to this day in the dogs they hunt today. They have kept it in their breeding program. There was another guy that had a really nice female bred to II 3 different times asked if the cross was working and his reply was not really, nothing as good as her but I don't get stuck with pups an have no problem selling them for $300. But then I see a guy come on here an talk about some dogs he had an he liked them an they came from this exact cross.
D H Smokey won in another registry for many years top in his breed top in his state an cleaned house an I mean literally cleaned house on the tree, it was a known fact. L Richard I would guess Smokey didn't have much chance or even bred many females. but could he had reproduced a top hound from his ability or his teeth.

Blackhawk, he has won an he has won big in UKC, high scoring dog an big hunt winner. His percentages for titled dogs is at the top #1. Hawk has not produced a top level competitor as himself not even close. he has produced a lot of dogs that can win in all the local hunts and produces pups that can tree coon easy starting offspring that tree.
Skipper won big won the SS in another kennel club. He did go sterile fairly early in his life and did not breed as many females as he would have if he had not gone sterile. He did breed some good females of the ones he bred. He never produced the style of winner as what he was they just didn't seem to be able to step up there game an compete at the next level. One of the best he might have produced just might have been the Angel female that was in the finals of the 1st champions classic hunt at BNT days. His offspring started easy early an treed.
Ace H.W. Moore I just put him on this list to see if anyone would realize he didn't even qualify for the list. (winningest black dog) Ace didn't qualify

Now I see guy that said Buck II wasn't a reproducer But wonders how Hobo Hoss couldn't be considered. When they almost produced Identically some of the best you owned or cull.
Another says Hard Rock, But then wonders how Hawk and Skipper can't be considered excellent reproducers.

If you take a look at that first group their good could compete with anything out there. the others were usually duds.
the 2nd group were produced like the first group but there best were average to mediocre the rest were duds.
Last last group minus Ace since he didn't qualify. They are producing natural easy starting offspring that if you got one chances are they were going to tree some coons for you. Not likely going to get a total dud but the chance that your going to get one that was going to step it up and compete at the next level not much better then the 2nd group. The chance is if you asked guys that hunted dogs out of everyone I listed they would probably tell you those dogs reproduced.
A stud that can reproduce like the 1st and 3rd group combined usually only comes around about once every 15 to 20yrs.

So You decide do they reproduce or don't they!!!!

319-201-8445

Old Post 01-20-2017 06:20 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Dark Hollow Smokey

Berger... I think you have got your dogs mixed up a bit,Smokey died at a early age.So he did not win for many years.He did have teeth in his head,I think you are talking about another head,from another dog.But you mite know something that I am unaware of.

517-605-3199

Old Post 01-20-2017 11:01 AM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Berger,
You are completely WRONG on Dark Hollow Smokey. Smokey was competed for less then one year and died at hunt. Bruces dad Johnny was handling him when the accident happened. He started that year late and died before the end of the year and still won the breed race cause nobody could catch him. Jarvis drew him and like him so well he bred his best female to him before he died.

Old Post 01-20-2017 12:57 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dark Hollow Smokey

quote:
Originally posted by L.Richard
Berger... I think you have got your dogs mixed up a bit,Smokey died at a early age.So he did not win for many years.He did have teeth in his head,I think you are talking about another head,from another dog.But you mite know something that I am unaware of.

Yes defiantly have the Smokey's mixed up this one wasn't owned by the Gilliams when he was campaigned.

319-201-8445

Old Post 01-20-2017 01:05 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Berger,
You are completely WRONG on Dark Hollow Smokey. Smokey was competed for less then one year and died at hunt. Bruces dad Johnny was handling him when the accident happened. He started that year late and died before the end of the year and still won the breed race cause nobody could catch him. Jarvis drew him and like him so well he bred his best female to him before he died.

Well it is a different Smokey or I have the name wrong, Smoke is what I remember but I could have the name wrong it was back many years ago an was hunted for several years and wasn't owned by Johnny or Bruce.

319-201-8445

Old Post 01-20-2017 01:10 PM
edf61
UKC Forum Member

I single registered a B/T male in 1983 or 1984 and he couldnt make a coonhound. I bred him to an english female and got two pups that were nice.
Nothing out of a B/T female.

www.statecoonhuntersofmo.com
Home of:
GRCH,GRNITECH FRANKLIN"S ALNIGHT HAMMERIN HANNA , HTX[Youngest B/T female to make dual grand){13 B/T Sectional Queen of Hunt Wins}
CH,FRANKLINS ALNIGHT UGLY BUTTON { GRNTCH,GRCH UGLYSTICK / GRNTCH,GRCH FRANKLINS ALNIGHT HANNA }-FEMALE,1st place win

Old Post 02-04-2017 09:12 PM
edf61 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edf61 Click here to Send edf61 a Private Message Click Here to Email edf61 Find more posts by edf61 Add edf61 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlackDogs26
UKC Forum Member

I'm sure there are some good ones... His sister ellie mae was the same. A handful of nice dogs off of ellie. Misty, warrior, Rudy, we have one now with high hopes...almost seems like it skips a generation with these dogs (depending who they are bred too) I just haven't heard of many that turned out to be real good dogs out of scooby. I may be wrong...definitely not knocking him I have that blood in most of my dogs.

quote:
Originally posted by STROKIN
I think scooby is as good as most as a reproducer.
Nick is hard on him. Sometimes dogs throw good dogs but not as good as themselves. Scooby is one of them. Nick has a female he likes off scooby now

*GRCH 'PR' Superstar Sydney*(Dual grand grimes hi dollar. dj drummer x Scooby female)
*Ch midnight molly
*Nitech Grch 'pr' Weinstocks screaming Diva

*CH 'PR' Corwin's ol' Red (Huck a Buck bred) 2010 KING OF HUNT AT OHIO ENGLISH SECTIONAL (RIP 7/17/2011) NEAR SILENT ON TRACK BUT COONDOG ALL THE WAY!!

Old Post 02-05-2017 09:22 AM
BlackDogs26 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BlackDogs26 Click here to Send BlackDogs26 a Private Message Click Here to Email BlackDogs26 Find more posts by BlackDogs26 Add BlackDogs26 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by STROKIN
I think scooby is as good as most as a reproducer.
Nick is hard on him. Sometimes dogs throw good dogs but not as good as themselves. Scooby is one of them. Nick has a female he likes off scooby now

Bad To The Bones Scooby?

Maybe I got my Millers confused again.....

Old Post 02-08-2017 12:15 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Bad To The Bones Scooby?

Maybe I got my Millers confused again.....

Yes you do I think they are father an son!!!

319-201-8445

Old Post 02-08-2017 04:32 PM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Who's the DADDY?

Old Post 02-09-2017 04:31 PM
berger
UKC Forum Member

rofl

LOL

319-201-8445

Old Post 02-09-2017 06:59 PM
badlands batman
UKC Forum Member

Wow!!! So what dogs weren't winners that reproduced great

Old Post 02-10-2017 05:34 AM
badlands batman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for badlands batman Click here to Send badlands batman a Private Message Click Here to Email badlands batman Find more posts by badlands batman Add badlands batman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
badlands batman
UKC Forum Member

Wow!!! So what dogs weren't winners that reproduced great

Old Post 02-10-2017 05:34 AM
badlands batman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for badlands batman Click here to Send badlands batman a Private Message Click Here to Email badlands batman Find more posts by badlands batman Add badlands batman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Well I dont think Hoss was what some call a winner,but he was fun to hunt,
20 pups 2 made grand, and are on a list somewhere...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 02-11-2017 12:20 AM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote