UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking old vs new methods
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Tracking old vs new methods

Who still uses the old ones ??
Which is better ??
Good and bad of both

Garmin vs wildlife beep beep systems

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-15-2019 07:30 AM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

That's like asking which phone is better .. old rotary landline or
tadays smartphones . It's a no brainer ....
But I'm sure beep beep is still used.

Last edited by Dogwhisper on 02-15-2019 at 11:17 AM

Old Post 02-15-2019 11:13 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Last night I was a spectator on a comp hunt. I stayed at the truck and had one hour of some exciting dog work. Didn't have a Garmin and relayed on my ears and mind to figure out was going on. It was enjoyable but sure not as accurate as if the Garmin had been in my hand. The GPS Dog Trackers allow you to see exactly what the dogs are doing. You see their mistakes so you know what you might need to work on with them. To most it brings a totally new perspective to their hunting. Gives you a new understanding of distances as you know exactly what they are. Allows you to navigate the woods in an easier manner which is important to my old legs.

Would like to make a comparison many might understand. Many have seen Carpenters work and cut wood with a skill saw. Now in the old days those carpenters used a hand saw and then the skill saws came out. WOW what a difference. Some have seen this but add in a Carpenter that really knows how to use his skill saw and is a finished carpenter. They can work magic with that saw. Thats the issue with the GPS Trackers. Many use it for the basics but haven't learned the magic of whet the have in their hand.

Old Post 02-15-2019 12:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C Zink
UKC Forum Member

I run a beep beep collar along with the garmin. I have had a couple situations where the garmin lost signal due to broken antenna wires . Another time it lost signal and never picked the collar back up until I turned collar off and back on again . I run the beep beep just for extra assurance that I can find my dog .

Home of
Gr Nite Ch Pkc Ch Tar Scream'n Sky
Nt Ch Pkc Silver Ch Trips Hardcore Sissy
Tar Scream’n Hoss
Trips Cash

Old Post 02-15-2019 02:49 PM
C Zink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C Zink Click here to Send C Zink a Private Message Click Here to Email C Zink Find more posts by C Zink Add C Zink to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

I use the old style. I had a garmin but it just takes something away from the hunt for me. With the old style I have to listen to the dogs and really know my dog to be able and tell what he is doing. With the garmin I found myself just watching the screen and not listening with as much detail to the dogs voice. When I did have a garmin it seemed to need calibrated every time I went hunting and if I forgot to do that then it was useless anyways. The tracking collar is just for rare occasions now when I can't find a dog it's not used to keep track of them throughout the hunt. I've got a Marshall telemetry tracking unit now and the collars take AA batteries and last forever I dont have to recharge the collars every night.

Old Post 02-15-2019 03:16 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I love my Alpha! My hunts are so much more enjoyable. In the past if I thought the dogs were headed towards a road or private property, i was a bundle of nerves. Seriously, I was about as jumpy as a long tail cat in a room full of rockers.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-15-2019 04:18 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

there are areas that i will not turn loose without a telemetry (quick track) collar along with my GPS (garmin) collar. when i still had my deer dogs- i had a deer dog that refused to be caught for 11 days and no gps collar will last that long. if i didn't have the quick track on him i would have never gotten him back. he was a jam up trail dog- just had a few screws loose in his head lol.

i think as a few said the garmins (or any GPS unit) take away any guessing as to whats going on. depending on the immediate circumstances will determine whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

i do think people get into the habit of staring at the screen rather than listening to what the dogs doing though. i know when i only had the quick track i was much slower to pull out my machine, id sit and listen longer. now, its just a quick look at the gps. i admit i am guilty of this but this can be both a good thing and a bad thing, all depending on the circumstances of whats going on.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 02-15-2019 05:48 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

I love the Garmin that's for sure.. however I am glad I'm old enough to know how it was to use the beep beep and a compass. It does take experience and a little skill to hunt like that and I had some great times doing it!!

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 02-15-2019 06:34 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

There are a few of us old enough to remember when the only tracking equipment was our ears, no beep beeps nothing. It made a hard going dog really hard to hunt. I use the Alpha now and love it. I just won't turn loose without it. Also at my age being able to recall my dog with a tone is great.

Old Post 02-15-2019 06:50 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
There are a few of us old enough to remember when the only tracking equipment was our ears, no beep beeps nothing. It made a hard going dog really hard to hunt. I use the Alpha now and love it. I just won't turn loose without it. Also at my age being able to recall my dog with a tone is great.

Amen to that!! Lost a lot of sleep and spent alot money on gas back in the day!

Old Post 02-15-2019 07:20 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Amen to that!! Lost a lot of sleep and spent alot money on gas back in the day!
And lost a few dogs also.

Old Post 02-15-2019 07:55 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Red Sea kennels

I agree with your thoughts and opinions !! I had a great deal of fun hunting dogs with a gps and it sure was a lot easier but I’ve found that it took a lot of the excitement out of the hunt and now that I went to a beep beep system I enjoy my nights out running !! And enjoy the lil things about a dog I didn’t notice before I may not see all there mistakes and maybe that’s why I’m happier lol but I will say I have enjoyed hunting much more and alot more relaxing and brought back some fun again since I went back in time when it comes to technology

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Old Post 02-15-2019 10:23 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Just run a GPS collar and don't set there and watch the handheld, I rarely turn my handheld on.

Old Post 02-15-2019 10:27 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Red Sea kennels

quote:
Originally posted by Night cry
I agree with your thoughts and opinions !! I had a great deal of fun hunting dogs with a gps and it sure was a lot easier but I’ve found that it took a lot of the excitement out of the hunt and now that I went to a beep beep system I enjoy my nights out running !! And enjoy the lil things about a dog I didn’t notice before I may not see all there mistakes and maybe that’s why I’m happier lol but I will say I have enjoyed hunting much more and alot more relaxing and brought back some fun again since I went back in time when it comes to technology

I do agree that you can see all the mistakes your dog makes on GPS and that can make a good dog not look so good to you. Sometimes I just don't look at the screen. Funny seems like the dog does better, lol.

Old Post 02-15-2019 11:35 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blaze P.
Just run a GPS collar and don't set there and watch the handheld, I rarely turn my handheld on.

Common sense is required for this technique to be successful!

Old Post 02-16-2019 12:31 AM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by C Zink
I run a beep beep collar along with the garmin. I have had a couple situations where the garmin lost signal due to broken antenna wires . Another time it lost signal and never picked the collar back up until I turned collar off and back on again . I run the beep beep just for extra assurance that I can find my dog .

X2...I don’t trust the Garmin alpha to be 100 percent reliable...because it hasn’t been.

Old Post 02-16-2019 12:48 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My biggest complaint with the Alpha is it doesn't stay calibrated. A $2.00 compass always knows where north is. Why doesn't a $600 Garmin?

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Stinnett
UKC Forum Member

You cant even put the old beep beep collars in the same category with the new garmins.

The garmins are super nice!

We had an F&L unit back in the day & then a quick track.

Coon Hounds
Lake Village, IN
Cell: 219-712-4281
Email:jstinnett@upgen.us

*******HOME OF**********

PCH.GRCH. BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER - BEAGLE
PCH. GRCH. BRIAR BUSTEN TRIXIE - BEAGLE
STYLISH BO - TREEING WALKER
CH.S&S BLUE BONNIE - BLUETICK
SPORTMIX DOG FOOD FED & RECOMMENED

Old Post 02-16-2019 08:06 PM
Jim Stinnett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Stinnett Click here to Send Jim Stinnett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Stinnett Visit Jim Stinnett's homepage! Find more posts by Jim Stinnett Add Jim Stinnett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

There really isn't any comparison to the old system to the new system. I can tell you I would rarely go to the woods unless i could put my dogtra on mine and see where and what she was doing. These new gps machines have saved alot of dogs lives.

Old Post 02-16-2019 08:16 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jd6400
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom

And to extend our ears used a extended funnel.A piece of baling twine was used as a sling for it.A seven cell Texan was on a sling also to spot and a 2 cell was used for walking......Bill Boatman came out with the Coonbeam and we was,in heaven...lol

Last edited by Jd6400 on 02-16-2019 at 09:26 PM

Old Post 02-16-2019 09:02 PM
Jd6400 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jd6400 Click here to Send Jd6400 a Private Message Find more posts by Jd6400 Add Jd6400 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rrekab
UKC Forum Member

I grew up on a Lantern, Flashlight for shining the coon which was a 5 double D flash light and whoever else went got a 2 double D flash light. I love the new lights and especially the Garmin. I would have quit hunting without this technology. Times have changed and this tech has kept us active. Now, for me--- we all end up trespassing occasionally, forty years ago not that big of a deal. Thank you Garmin and thank you all for the nice lights. My Grandpa and Great Uncle are probably is just shaking there heads. Plus, generally speaking we have more coon. PS: I always grew tired of Grandpa telling me he used to find coon with the lantern by standing back a ways from the tree. Great man but cmon!

Old Post 02-17-2019 02:17 AM
rrekab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rrekab Click here to Send rrekab a Private Message Click Here to Email rrekab Find more posts by rrekab Add rrekab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

The Garmin allows me to hunt areas I could not hunt without it. I know where the dogs are and if necessary I can tone them in and stay out of trouble.

Old Post 02-17-2019 03:43 AM