UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Clubs Holding Breed Sectionals
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Clubs Holding Breed Sectionals

Sectionals are extremely popular and many of us actively participate in these types of events each year to support our local clubs and breed associations of choice. Each sectional offers its share of benefits to paid members of the organization from points races, recognition, qualification for invitational events at breed days events, etc.

I just so happen to work with several different clubs and breed organizations and have been working on some independent research relative to sectional programs that these institutions offer to their membership.

My quandary could be aided by your response to a three part question, so when responding, if you could touch on all parts of the questions, it would be much appreciated.

I am interested in understanding better, the following:

1) What purpose should a Sectional Event serve for local clubs and breed associations, respectively?

2) What factors influence a local club to schedule a Sectional Event?

3) What factors influence your decision to participate in a Sectional Event each year?

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 02-08-2019 at 07:43 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2019 07:38 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

The factor that influence me to attend a breed sectional ,
is strictly gauge hunts.
I take my English dog to a walker sectional .
Then take my walker dog to a English sectional.

I'm not interested in all the hoopla associated w/the breed hunts.

But when my off breed places at a breed hunt . . It tells me
my dogs can compete with any breed !

Old Post 02-08-2019 09:50 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Still looking for input if anyone is interested in sharing

Old Post 02-10-2019 04:38 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
las123
UKC Forum Member

sectionals

first factor that influence me to participate in a sectional;is to see what all is out there in the breed i hunt in.to gadge my dogs progress.hopefully to see some dogs you read about.2...what factors influence local clubs to hold a sectional event..first and foremost from a clubs standpoint its about the draw[number of dogs]hopefully draw houndsman in from other areas.to give there breed a recognition.and to give them all a chance to be put in there breeds ass.yearbook.3 reason;what purpose should a sectional event serve for local clubs and breed ass.respectively.the purpose is to draw dogs in{common sense more dogs better for both club and ass.]to give everyone a chance to see how there dog does within there own breed. for the ass.to help boost there membership.to promote there bigger hunts{walker days,english days,bluetick and so on].i hope this helps you out in what you are trying to determine.i will say this the besides the rqe the sectionals are our clubs second,and third busyiest hunts outta of the year.

Old Post 02-10-2019 05:31 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

In Oklahoma we have breed sectionals all the time !!

There's only 3 dogs there and they are all walker dogs !!

Tar

Old Post 02-10-2019 05:35 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

yadkintar

I might have laughed at your post there for just a second 😂 lol

Old Post 02-11-2019 07:38 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Corey I will be serious now lol. Gerold jones was a long time member of our club and a big promoter of the Oklahoma federation and a bluetick breeder probly the only one in our club. We always had blutick sectionals even tho none of us hunted them. Why? Because those people would come from long distances to hunt and we would have large entry's plus we got to meet different people we didn't know. We hosted them and had a good time and the club did well. I haven't done it in a while but I used to go to northern Oklahoma and do a Black and Tan sectional try judging 35 black dogs an hour before dark on the bench lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2019 01:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

I only hunt sectionals to qualify for Thursday night of breed days usually.

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 02-11-2019 06:01 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCorbin
UKC Forum Member

Questions

1. Breed sectionals should serve to increase the attendance and build club strength by bringing individuals together, also breed sectionals should serve to galvanize fanciers of specific breeds for a common cause of advancing the breed and its association.

2. Our local club schedules sectionals based upon the members willing to step up and setup the sectional by functioning as the liaison with the association and promoting it to the public. For example, I have setup the National redbone sectionals for the past 3-4 years and just started the ABTCHA sectionals for two different local club. Another couple has setup English sectionals as that is their breed of choice.

3. The factor of club member commitment to running a specific breed sectional determines whether or not it happens at our club.

Old Post 02-12-2019 06:55 PM
DCorbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DCorbin Click here to Send DCorbin a Private Message Find more posts by DCorbin Add DCorbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Thank you to all of those who have contributed their insight thus far. It is much appreciated.

Keep it coming

Old Post 02-14-2019 05:11 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

BTT

Old Post 02-20-2019 05:47 AM
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Sectionals

Corey my club we hold three Sectionals, Plott, Redbone, and Walker.
Now I'm really the only Plott guy and I handle all of our clubs UKC events , we have a few Redbone guys, with I would say 90% being The Walker guys. It is our guys who tell me what to have , with the Plott and Redbone sectionals we try to draw those breeds in to hunt at our club. With the Walker guys, I would say it is to support there Association and qualify for Walker days. I hunt all of them not just to see how my dog does against any one breed but to support our club and I have went to other sectionals and that is to help them out too. So over all with us it is to honor our breed of choice and hopefully to pull more entries in.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 02-22-2019 03:32 AM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote