UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What kind of dog food is everyone feeding
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
markncole
UKC Forum Member

What kind of dog food is everyone feeding

What is the best food for the money?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-07-2019 03:35 AM
markncole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've fed them all, and in my opinion Purina Pro Plan Sport (30/20, Black and Purple bag) is the best feed there is. If I ever get serious about hunting again and buy a dog worth feeding good stuff, that'll be what I feed.

Old Post 11-07-2019 03:54 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Me and my wife have 25 rescue dogs and hounds and I can’t find one food that will work for every dog. One is best for one may not be the best for another one. You have too many factors for one best feed for the money. Overall I have had the best luck feeding The Pride dog food over the last twenty years and just feed the Pro Series or their 26 18 Dark green bag.

Old Post 11-07-2019 05:33 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Showtime 26/20

Have fed it for last 4 yrs., had been feeding Black Gold, but didn't seem to be the same dog food in same bag every time!! Got started on this brand & couldn't be more satisfied. 26/20 comes in blue bag for $26.50 for 50# with heat pack added to help keep dogs from over heating in summertime. Has really helped my older GRNTCH Jo-ann female from getting too hot in summer. Was told, but don't know for sure, that guy is in charge of formulating it that used to work for Black Gold. Believe it is made by Mid South Feeds in Alma, Georgia, so you might want to ck it out. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 11-07-2019 06:16 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: What kind of dog food is everyone feeding

quote:
Originally posted by markncole

Check out this link. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-...pro-plan-sport/

I've fed the Pro Plan Sport for 2 years and found it comes up a bit short for my hounds if I'm pushing them hard.

The people that put this info. together do NOT sell dog food. They simply have analyzed the ingredients for nutrition value as it contributes, or doesn't, to the physical health and well being of dogs.

Some of the brands that many (including me) think or once thought were top foods may not be.

Old Post 11-08-2019 02:49 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Value Pac in the blue bag...the dogs look great now that they are on this dog food...and the price is right...

Old Post 11-08-2019 07:31 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

ov-blues hit the nail on the head. I have 4 hounds and I feed three of them one feed and I feed the other one a different feed.
I have one dog that had an eye condition. They would run and matt up daily. I used all kinds of medications and sprays. One day a friend was taking with one of his friends and he said. Put that dog on Diamond high pro which is the red bag. I fed Diamond years ago but got away from them when they had several issues with bad feed. Anyway I tried it and his eye problem after about a month went away.
I have my other dogs on Valu Pack black bag. I know of 3 puppies that were raised on it. One here and two at a buddies house and they have been extremely healthy and look like young dogs should look. They were one it from the time they were weaned. I worry about the issues being spread about dogs on grain free food concerting the heart. Dog food is just a confusing subject anymore.

Old Post 11-08-2019 12:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Bruce...I like the value pack black bag for my dogs except during summer months it seems I had to cut way back on feed otherwise dogs were getting too fat...

The red bag is good feed and alot less expensive but the blue is somewhere in the middle...

There for a while the dog food I was feeding caused severe ear infection and fatty tumor growths and I thought maybe hereditary issues...my best dog all of a sudden came up with lymphoma cancer and died...

Around that time I was noticing I had increased feed to dogs about 25 percent higher trying to maintain weight on dogs and also I noticed their hair looked dry...

I changed dog foods and dogs coats look excellent and fatty growths have gone away...ear infection cleared up...

The dog food that caused the issue I had fed off and on for over 40 years...used to be one of the best for the money...whatever it was is probably fixed by now but I will never buy it again...hopefully this will send a message to them that monitoring quality is top priority...these issues should of never happened in my opinion...

Old Post 11-08-2019 02:05 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Feeding

Rural King Good Friends 30/20 Orange bag.It's as close to old school dog food I can find.Does NOT have all the chemicals and additives that are bad for dogs either.Cheap 21.00 a bag

Would love to try Valu Pac,but there are no dealers or distributors anywhere close to me.Very southern Mi.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 11-08-2019 02:16 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RH.
UKC Forum Member

Valu pak...grey and blue bag

Old Post 11-08-2019 02:59 PM
RH. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RH. Click here to Send RH. a Private Message Find more posts by RH. Add RH. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Burritos and beer. Dogs are fat slick and happy just like me 😊

Old Post 11-09-2019 01:02 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug__Adams
UKC Forum Member

pride

Call/text anytime!

Check us out on Facebook
Treacle Creek Kennels And Hunting Supply
https://treaclecreekhuntingsupply.com

Old Post 11-09-2019 02:34 PM
Doug__Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug__Adams Click here to Send Doug__Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug__Adams Find more posts by Doug__Adams Add Doug__Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

My female is now almost 7 months old and my male is almost 5 months old. I have been trying to find a food that they will like to eat, I started out with Diamond Naturals All Life Stages dog food. They didn't really seem to like it too much. So, I switched to Purina One SmartBlend for Large Breed Puppies. I'm not sure that this is the right food for them. Where we live, right now it is dipping into the 20's at night. I have 2 heat lamps in the metal shed they stay in at night with straw and blankets. I am concerned that they won't have the good nutrition for winter to stay healthy. They are acting like they are starving even though I feed them 2 cups of dry, twice a day plus half a can of wet food once a day. I just wormed them 2 weeks ago with Sentry 7-Way De-wormer. I have not started them with coon hunt training, so they are not extremely active. There is only ONE place that sells this Value Pak food in my area and I do not know how much it costs.

What are your suggestions for food to switch my hounds to?

Old Post 11-10-2019 01:08 AM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If you live in an area that gets cold most of the winter then a high fat content food works really well during the cold months...

Old Post 11-10-2019 06:26 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Feeding

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Rural King Good Friends 30/20 Orange bag.It's as close to old school dog food I can find.Does NOT have all the chemicals and additives that are bad for dogs either.Cheap 21.00 a bag

Would love to try Valu Pac,but there are no dealers or distributors anywhere close to me.Very southern Mi.

While I was trying other feed beside the Pride I fed Valu Pak and also some Good Friends (AKA Nutreena). I’m really cold spells I had to mix in the Good Friends 30 20 to keep the weight on certain dogs. I’m not a fan of the Valu Pak feed as I feel there are better feeds out there for the same money as long as someone doesn’t mind feeding feed with corn in it. The Pride 31 22 is close to corn free and it will flat put weight on a dog just takes some transition to get dogs to adjust to it.

Old Post 11-10-2019 06:33 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: What kind of dog food is everyone feeding

quote:
Originally posted by markncole

Purina naturals, chicken/beef. Dogs love the taste of this stuff and look good

Old Post 11-10-2019 11:40 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

I have been feeding RiverRun by Nutrina for over 3 years now. Dogs like it and maintain well on it. $27 for 50lb. Seems to be the same dog food every time you open a bag. On average dogs eat about 4 cups a day. I feed 2 in the morning before going to work and 2 cups when i get home from work. Or depending on my hunting schedule. I have also noticed very consistent stools also.

Old Post 11-10-2019 11:54 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
If you live in an area that gets cold most of the winter then a high fat content food works really well during the cold months...

Yes, it gets cold here in winter. Snow etc. Right now, it's dipping into the 20's at night. No snow yet though.

Old Post 11-10-2019 09:12 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Feeding

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
While I was trying other feed beside the Pride I fed Valu Pak and also some Good Friends (AKA Nutreena). I’m really cold spells I had to mix in the Good Friends 30 20 to keep the weight on certain dogs. I’m not a fan of the Valu Pak feed as I feel there are better feeds out there for the same money as long as someone doesn’t mind feeding feed with corn in it. The Pride 31 22 is close to corn free and it will flat put weight on a dog just takes some transition to get dogs to adjust to it.

It's coming out that Grain{Corn} free isn't as 'good' for dogs as advertised.
Too many bad chemicals and additives for dogs.Some have very high sodium levels too.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 11-11-2019 at 02:43 PM

Old Post 11-11-2019 02:23 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I feed Black Gold and have for years. Dogs do great on it but I don't like the price. Since the company sold, price seems to continually increase.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 11-11-2019 03:23 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Over the years i've noticed when receiving the sample bags of Purina PP Sport at the hunts that my dogs have went NUTS over it and so have the dogs of my buddys whom has rode with me to these events.
I never even considered feeding it cause it is so PRICEY.

I've heard guys swear by it and say how great their dogs done on it and how GREAT they looked. Even guys using it for whelping mommas and pups and getting very little stool. Even say you dont have to feed as much vs the maj of other feeds.< (which is true cause i'm not spending that much more.)

About 9 months ago or so I decided i'd try it with one my females who is a picky eater and hard to keep weight on . I noticed a huge difference so I put another female on it . Same results !

Note: I dont know what the secret ingredient is that they are using to attract the taste buds of dogs But Ive tested it with several other dog foods out there putting it in the same bowl and they go after this stuff first every time & eat it all up before going to the other .

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 11-11-2019 05:08 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Rural King

30/20 in hunting season cold weather and their 27/10 in the summer..

Old Post 11-11-2019 06:36 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAH
Banned

The best dog food is the one your dogs do good on.That is easy or convenient for you to get.And that you can afford.

Old Post 11-12-2019 03:04 AM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

PURINA PUPPY CHOW

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-12-2019 10:06 AM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toolman24
UKC Forum Member

Victor

Red bag of Victor during train Season
Blue bag during kill season

Best dog food I have ever used hands down
Dogs eat less then any other food I have every fed
They want to eat when they get back from hunting instead of going to lay down in their house
Good stools
Good coats
My dogs hold up better hunting everyday from Nov thru Jan in NC during kill season
I have never gotten a bad batch of food in the 4 years I have fed it

I have fed Sportsmix, Black Gold, Pro Plans, Diamond, and about any other brand out there since I was a kid, my Dad fed every dog he every owned including fox dogs, coon hounds, beagles, and bird dogs OLE ROY in the red bag at that time.

Old Post 11-12-2019 03:18 PM
Toolman24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toolman24 Click here to Send Toolman24 a Private Message Click Here to Email Toolman24 Find more posts by Toolman24 Add Toolman24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote