UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dogs
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Ok thomasg I have another question for you.
If I take my males and females to get there thyroid numbers but no matter what the numbers are I’m Not Gonna Put Them on Any Meds, what number would convince you to breed or buy a pup? What numbers would keep you away??
0.9 to 1.9 or 1.9 to 2.9 or 2.9 to 3.9?? According to you all breeders (female owner) or pup buyers should be able to answer if I provide the numbers??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-07-2018 01:49 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard another thing I was thinking when I read a few things today. Medications affecting the dogs autoimmune system. I know the old timers did a lot of self medications to their hounds. The didn't have the money for anything else and most knew what worked. Today we have a lot of back yard vets with an abundance of things to give their dogs. Most are safe if given in a correct dosage and intervals. I think we do a lot of overmedicating our dogs trying to do the right thing. Perhaps hurting more in the long run.

Old Post 04-07-2018 02:00 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, now I am going to have to try and figure out what autoantibodies are. This is getting awfully complicated for my little brain.
Bruce, you are exactly right. If they have a problem, just give them something and see what happens.
Even just worming them nowadays has gotten awfully complicated. I don't remember dogs having nearly the problems with worms as they used to have.
And what about Ivomec? We give it for everything now. Whatever happened to burnt motor oil?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-07-2018 at 02:25 AM

Old Post 04-07-2018 02:22 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Well He took your advice about his clubs hunts, you told him to cut back on the number of hunts and if the participation still didn’t pick up then he should consider shutting the club down. He Did! You may be one of only 3 people he takes advice from, Great Job.
I’m just about ready to shut down too Richard and maybe birch wood who has went to at least only having half the dogs they once did 5 years ago may last a few more years til something changes if it ever does , tar is also doing or did a bench show today you folks just keep on at him and there will only be 2 moh bs judges in Oklahoma

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 04-07-2018 at 03:03 AM

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:01 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i suspect that hereditary hypothyroidism is a genetic defect that can be eliminated or minimized by testing breeding stock. i would be more inclined to by a pup from stock that has been tested .same with breeding a female . why would i want to invest my time and money in a pup or litter that could have a genetic flaw that cant be seen but could have been tested for by the sire and dam owner? sure you can give them a pill or 2 a day and run up vet bills to make the dog preform to your expectations when they fall to pieces at 4 years old.lol with the all grand pedigrees big money winning dogs being sought after for breeding the gene pool is becoming smaller . without proper testing of breeding stock vets. are sure to get rich .the % of thyroid dogs could skyrocket and become the norm . lol just look at all the questions on the subject on the u.k.c. board for thyroids .lol testing has become more affordable . no reason not to test before mating pairs .if i was a breeder i would sell only pups that the parents tested negative at 4 years old with vet. documentation and set the market with them . a couple adds ran in the old tim ball style phone would ring non stop. lol

Last edited by thomasg on 04-07-2018 at 03:43 AM

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:10 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How much does a vet charge for one of those autoimmune tests? Are you saying that we should wait until dogs are 4 yrs old before we breed them.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-07-2018 at 03:59 AM

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:55 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Just a few things to add to this discussion

I currently own my 1st thyroid dog. He is a 2 yr old and tested 0.4 the 1st time tested. 5 months later after being retested 3 times and 3 dose increases he tested 2.4. The dog did not operate anywhere close to what he was until a few weeks before testing at the 2.4 level. I started pushing the dog harder after he tested at 2.4. After 4 straight nights of hunting him fairly hard he was out of gas. It’s been a long road and a lot of pill pushing and for me personally I have no desire and of breeding to a known thyroid dog.

Old Post 04-07-2018 04:13 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I wonder how much damage to the thyroid gland is caused by the shock collars.....I mean,... think about it, the gland is right there. Dogs pulling on their leads while tied back from a tree. ....etc.

Seems to me the e-collar is suspect.
How many tree dogs are trained useing an e-collar ?
My guess is 90-95%

Yet no one is blaming the e-collar or even looking at it as a cause for all these "thyroid dogs" comeing on the scene in the last 5-7 yrs.
JMO.

Old Post 04-07-2018 02:43 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

A lot of people are "looking at" e collars. They just don't know what to do about them. I myself would rather look at tick borne diseases. All of the dogs that I have seen with Thyroid issues also had a tick borne illness first, either Lymes or Erlichia. I would rather see a national database that tracked the incidence of thyroid problems that were preceded by a tick borne illness. We need to seperate the hereditary dogs from the dogs with tick borne illness and then we could start looking at other causes such as e collars or meds.

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:16 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I believe it's more heredity than pulling on the collar. 50 years ago very few people had dog pens. Dogs were mostly tied out. My grandfather always had a dog or two on a chain. They never got lazy or lethargic. They ran deer all day and all night.

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
I wonder how much damage to the thyroid gland is caused by the shock collars.....I mean,... think about it, the gland is right there. Dogs pulling on their leads while tied back from a tree. ....etc.

Seems to me the e-collar is suspect.
How many tree dogs are trained useing an e-collar ?
My guess is 90-95%

Yet no one is blaming the e-collar or even looking at it as a cause for all these "thyroid dogs" comeing on the scene in the last 5-7 yrs.
JMO.

I agree but that would eliminate the facts that people say they have that it’s hereditary an passed on by poor breeding!

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:29 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I'm sure hereditary, tick borne bite , etc......attribute to "thyroid" issues.....just throwing the e-collar in the mix
haven't seen it mention as of yet.

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:45 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
I'm sure hereditary, tick borne bite , etc......attribute to "thyroid" issues.....just throwing the e-collar in the mix
haven't seen it mention as of yet.

I’ve ran e-collars on my dogs for years and have only had one dog turn up with a thyroid problem. That one dog has never had a tick born illness. Neither of the thyroid dogs parents is known to have thyroid problems and I have a littermate to him that is perfectly fine. I’ve got no proof but my educated guess is it most likely hereditary and it is a recessive trait like most hereditary conditions are. If I’m right you breed 2 thyroid dogs together you are going to 100% get pups with thyroid problems. You breed a female that carry’s the gene but otherwise healthy you are very likely to get some pups with thyroid issues. You breed a female that doesn’t have the thyroid gene to a thyroid dog then none of the pups will have problems but all of them will be carriers of the gene.

Old Post 04-07-2018 04:10 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Ok, I have done some reading/research. A lot of good that it has done me. It seems that veterinarians can't even agree on what the causes/triggers are. And even when a dog or person has a family history of hypothyroidism, less than 50% of these dogs actually develop hypothyroidism. And it has to be triggered by something that causes an autoimmune reaction such as toxins, infection or other causes. So, even a dog whose parents have thyroid issues still has to have something that causes him to have it. It doesn't just happen. Now that is what I got out of what I read. But different people can sure come to different conclusions. Apparantly the Vets across the country don't all think the same. But they do agree that can be caused by: toxins such as meds, vaccinations, wormers, chemicals in the environment etc; or by an infection such as tick borne desease; or by a virus; or by cancer of the thyroid gland.

Now I saw no mention of physical injury to the thyroid gland but I don't think they even consider or know what coonhounds go through. But injury to the thyroid gland can certainly cause it to be unable to work correctly and produce thyroid hormones. So e-collar could certainly be one culprit.

Old Post 04-07-2018 04:27 PM
nick miller
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone drawn a dog food conclusion?

Old Post 04-07-2018 09:54 PM
nick miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nick miller Click here to Send nick miller a Private Message Click Here to Email nick miller Find more posts by nick miller Add nick miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I'm a believer that it has more to do with Eurlychia or other tick diseases instead of dog food , but who really knows until more and better research is done

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 04-07-2018 10:03 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
A lot of people are "looking at" e collars. They just don't know what to do about them. I myself would rather look at tick borne diseases. All of the dogs that I have seen with Thyroid issues also had a tick borne illness first, either Lymes or Erlichia. I would rather see a national database that tracked the incidence of thyroid problems that were preceded by a tick borne illness. We need to seperate the hereditary dogs from the dogs with tick borne illness and then we could start looking at other causes such as e collars or meds.
one of the dog i tested had lymes and tested .8 .we left him off meds. except doxy and gave him 30 days rest . hunted him 30 days and he tested at 1.2 . another 30 days hunting he was still half the dog he was before lymes . tested again at 1.2 witch vet said was normal . man i was handling him four retired him to a pet .we would still take him for a short run now and then in the cool weather .dog was around 50% having coon before lymes . after lymes 25% .had no stamina and over heated even in cooler weather .

Last edited by thomasg on 04-16-2018 at 01:12 PM

Old Post 04-07-2018 10:38 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

maybe tracking collars and radio signals bouncing off satellites from outer space are the cause and we need to throw our garmins in the trash can . lol i still think most i thyroid problems are ]genetic and comes from a shrinking gene pool from breeding for all grand pedigrees and line breeding big money winners . my last litter was x-bred to get away from the same old stagnant gene pools . didnt get the hybrid freak of nature i was looking for but still got a nice hound . at 2 years of age still to young to see if i got any health benefits from my decision .

Old Post 04-07-2018 11:13 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Conclusion
Lack of ionizing radiation and the low energy level emitted from cell phones had initially led to this public perception that mobile phone use was safe. However, the dramatic increase in the use of cellular phones has generated great concerns about potential adverse effects.

Results obtained from this study, as the first human study on this topic, showed a significant alteration of TSH level in mobile phone users compared to those who had not used mobiles previously. Theses findings confirm early reports that showed alterations of TSH or thyroid hormones following exposure to EMF sources. Further large-scale research is required to clarify the extent of alteration caused by mobile phone use on the function of human glands.

Old Post 04-08-2018 02:04 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

GIVE-EM ONE OF THOSE LITTLE BLUE PILLS THAT OLD GUYS USE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS, hee hee

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 04-08-2018 02:40 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Bruce, are you thinking now that making all of those videos of your dog treeing with your cell phone is causing thyroid problems? I am beginning to believe that there is really no good way to pin point what the root cause is. Thyroid issues are like Cancer. Everything causes it. We will just have to treat it.

Old Post 04-08-2018 05:00 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

When vets can't pin point where it comes from but just want to throw out some possible theories make you question how well a vet knows dogs. I personally don't think its hereditary in every dog that has it. Could be dog food, vaccines, flea and tick preventative, chemicals in fields, e-collars. There's endless things that could cause it. But heredity is pretty far down on my list, because dogs get it that don't have any relatives that have had it. How else would you explain that?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-08-2018 05:26 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
When vets can't pin point where it comes from but just want to throw out some possible theories make you question how well a vet knows dogs. I personally don't think its hereditary in every dog that has it. Could be dog food, vaccines, flea and tick preventative, chemicals in fields, e-collars. There's endless things that could cause it. But heredity is pretty far down on my list, because dogs get it that don't have any relatives that have had it. How else would you explain that?

I agree 100%

Old Post 04-08-2018 05:47 PM
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Feed

I know it sounds funny to most, but I would like to know the common denominator here. Why so many dogs with “thyroid” issues. I lost my wife to cancer on Feb 13th, 2018. She had spent many many hours researching all that she could (you had better) on the subject. Though it is not the only thing, there is one you will find as a major contributor to our health problems, our diets, what we eat every day (1 coke has about 11 teaspoons of sugar and sugar feeds cancer, so in and so forth). Don’t laugh, I have lived it. What is the quality of our dog food? Have you ever read the ingredients? Have you ever researched what all of that junk is? Beat me up if you want, but it is just a thought and only my 2 cents worth.

Old Post 04-08-2018 07:47 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Feed....Anything and everything is open for consideration. I am leaning towards a combination of causes. Maybe one by itself won't cause a problem but several together can have an additve effect.
Think about iodine also. It has been discussed in relation to heat cycles. Too little and a female won't come in heat. So adding iodine was recommended by some. But I read one study that said too much iodine will cause the thyroid gland to shut down. And every brand of feed has a different level of iodine.

Old Post 04-08-2018 08:37 PM