UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dogs
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid Dogs

I have never had a dog with thyroid issues, but I have one that is two year old and has a great skill set, unfortunately he has backslid some what of late. I have had him to the vet had his ears checked, heartworm and tick borne diseases are both negative, general health seems to be ok, but he runs out of gas easily and isn't quite the tree dog he was. Which thyroid tests or functions would be the ones I should have evaluated? In short, what else am I looking for? Thanks

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2018 07:21 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Just one that checks for non thyroidal illnesses. If he's t levels are below 2 then he needs them. So don't let him tell you 1.1 is ok. Normal t levels are 1-4. It being a working dog he needs to be 3.0-3.5 is ideal. I have yet to have a coondog checked that was above a1.5 naturally. Hope this helps. The best one I ever had had a low thyroid but still managed to win over $20,000 in pkc. If I would have new then what I know now. When she ran out of gas she wouldn't quit. She would just lofer through the woods not even hunting. Hope this helps.

Old Post 04-02-2018 07:43 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Did they test for Eurlychia

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 04-02-2018 07:44 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Yes, they tested for all tick borne diseases.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 04-02-2018 09:37 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Just one that checks for non thyroidal illnesses. If he's t levels are below 2 then he needs them. So don't let him tell you 1.1 is ok. Normal t levels are 1-4. It being a working dog he needs to be 3.0-3.5 is ideal. I have yet to have a coondog checked that was above a1.5 naturally. Hope this helps. The best one I ever had had a low thyroid but still managed to win over $20,000 in pkc. If I would have new then what I know now. When she ran out of gas she wouldn't quit. She would just lofer through the woods not even hunting. Hope this helps.

Had my dog tested back in December. He tested at a .4 , the vet said well he only needs to come up to a 1.0. I said then why have I heard by several say working/hunting dogs should be at a 2.5+? His reply was he forgot about that.

Anyway mine now tests at 2.5-2.7, which there's a huge difference in his hunting, treeing and demeanor(for the good). He's got energy, and a bunch of it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-03-2018 09:29 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nick miller
UKC Forum Member

Any of your dogs lose volume off their mouth as a symptom and regain it with meds?

Old Post 04-03-2018 11:19 PM
nick miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nick miller Click here to Send nick miller a Private Message Click Here to Email nick miller Find more posts by nick miller Add nick miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Yes, think about it. If he's constantly tired and out of energy how is he going to put any energy into barking?

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 04-04-2018 02:15 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

He's getting .8mg , honestly he just started clicking really well in the last 5-6 weeks. So roughly 3 months. But I'd say he could be made a faster recovery. I didn't get to hunt much in January and February.

I won't say he's flawless but hasn't made a ton of mistakes lately. When he wasn't feeling good he just didn't want to hunt, bark, move around, so much so I had to pry him out of his dog house to feed.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 04-04-2018 02:17 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
N Williams, are you saying 1.5 is normal for a hound and you're boosting it to 3.5 with pills?

Old Post 04-04-2018 05:10 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

It will probally take acouple months to get them right. And you may have to change tos dosage some from summer to winter. I would have them checked around a month after they start the pills to see what levels are and keep them monitored.

Old Post 04-04-2018 05:25 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
N Williams, are you saying 1.5 is normal for a hound and you're boosting it to 3.5 with pills?

No. I've only had about 5 tested. Only heard of one hound testing above 2.0 naturally once. This is a topic that's long and drew out. But cliff notes are here. The thyroid is the gland that controls the dogs metabolism. It can have effects that I've read about but I don't know. Dogs have a normal t levels are 1-4. Remember most of our vets customers are fu fu dogs. They just lay around not exerting no where near the energy a coonhound does. Now here is one thing I've noticed. Let your dog stand in the pin for a month and check there t levels and then hunt them hard for a month and check it you will see a difference. So I would hunt them normal and check them. If there levels are 2.0 and your hunting them I wouldnt worry. If there in real low normal ranges 1-1.6 or whatever I would try and get there t levels 3.0-3.5. That ideal for a working dog and where they need to be to give optimal performance. I've seen it benefit dogs drastically in there accuracy and stamina. Now there not going to die if there a 1.0. So yes. What your doing is using it as a supliment to get there're matabilism to function in high normal ranges. Just think about how much energy is exerted to win a major hunt where the dog has to hunt all night for 3-4 nights in a row. They will run out of gas and not be able to perform at optimal levels with a 1.0 t level. There's just no way. If you raise it to 3.5 it's still in normal ranges. So it's not doing kidney damage ect. This would be a great topic for a vet that really researched it with scientific facts. Problem is a lot of coonhunter know more about this then most vets do. Be a good question from the doc but get 10 vet options and there will be different answers.

Old Post 04-04-2018 06:04 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i have trouble keeping up with the cast in a two hour long hunt. hills get steeper harder to climb . my heart says yes but my body says no .wounder if i had my thyroid tested and it come back normal i could talk the doc .into giving me something to juice me up .lol getting big winners with a pill does nothing to improve breeding programs for hounds . all it does is cover up natural genetic faults .

Last edited by thomasg on 04-04-2018 at 09:16 PM

Old Post 04-04-2018 09:13 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
i have trouble keeping up with the cast in a two hour long hunt. hills get steeper harder to climb . my heart says yes but my body says no .wounder if i had my thyroid tested and it come back normal i could talk the doc .into giving me something to juice me up .lol getting big winners with a pill does nothing to improve breeding programs for hounds . all it does is cover up natural genetic faults .

The entire Russian Olympic team seemed to perform better with the juice lol. I'm not sure what to think of it all I know it doesn't sound good but I'm no expert.

Does anybody know if this practice would be legal in horse racing ???

Old Post 04-04-2018 09:44 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Thomas, it sounds like you have a low T level. It happens as you get older. There are many different products on the market to treat it. They range from natural pills to a cream that requires a Dr's prescription. Testosterone is a naturally occurring hormone in the body. There is a "normal" level that you can be tested for. But you can raise that level above normal with medication to increase your endurance. And yes athletes' levels are tested and they can be banned if their levels are too high.
Now this sounds a whole lot like manipulating a dogs thyroid or T3 level doesn't it?

Old Post 04-04-2018 10:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

richard i went to g.n.c. and spent 80 $ on some high powered powder that is guaranteed to make a new man out of me in a few weeks . now that i have doubled the daily dose i should be super man in just a few days .my coonhunting buddy is 20 years younger than me and calls me nancy all the time. now he will be riding drag eating my dust .lol

Old Post 04-05-2018 12:17 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Light
Eric .8 times 2 daily?

yes .8mg twice a day

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 04-05-2018 12:43 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Thomas I got some cream from my Dr but after 2 weeks my wife flushed it down the toilet and wouldn't let me get any more.

Old Post 04-05-2018 05:34 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Richard

You are hard headed .................... THYROID ..............That is causing all the trouble in dogs cows horses goats and all the rest of the WORLD don't you think?

Old Post 04-05-2018 01:30 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Mr Thomas I got some cream from my Dr but after 2 weeks my wife flushed it down the toilet and wouldn't let me get any more.
so far my wife has been happy happy happy . lol

Old Post 04-05-2018 01:34 PM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I have often wondered about dogs in the past that may have had it. I feel I owned one for sure about 20 years ago. She had all the classic signs, but even my vet couldn't figure it out back then.

Old Post 04-05-2018 05:17 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
No. I've only had about 5 tested. Only heard of one hound testing above 2.0 naturally once. This is a topic that's long and drew out. But cliff notes are here. The thyroid is the gland that controls the dogs metabolism. It can have effects that I've read about but I don't know. Dogs have a normal t levels are 1-4. Remember most of our vets customers are fu fu dogs. They just lay around not exerting no where near the energy a coonhound does. Now here is one thing I've noticed. Let your dog stand in the pin for a month and check there t levels and then hunt them hard for a month and check it you will see a difference. So I would hunt them normal and check them. If there levels are 2.0 and your hunting them I wouldnt worry. If there in real low normal ranges 1-1.6 or whatever I would try and get there t levels 3.0-3.5. That ideal for a working dog and where they need to be to give optimal performance. I've seen it benefit dogs drastically in there accuracy and stamina. Now there not going to die if there a 1.0. So yes. What your doing is using it as a supliment to get there're matabilism to function in high normal ranges. Just think about how much energy is exerted to win a major hunt where the dog has to hunt all night for 3-4 nights in a row. They will run out of gas and not be able to perform at optimal levels with a 1.0 t level. There's just no way. If you raise it to 3.5 it's still in normal ranges. So it's not doing kidney damage ect. This would be a great topic for a vet that really researched it with scientific facts. Problem is a lot of coonhunter know more about this then most vets do. Be a good question from the doc but get 10 vet options and there will be different answers.

Ok so let me make sure I'm understanding this. The doc is telling you that the dog is normal, but at normal levels it can not hold up to the exercise you are putting it through. So you are supplementing its thyroid? You know that's basically the definition of doping? Also by supplementing the thyroid when not needed you are destroying the dogs natural thyroid production. Making it dependent on the drug the rest of its life to even be normal. I don't have a problem with you doing this to achieve what your trying to do. I just think there are better ways to go about it other than putting the dogs long term health at risk.

Diet being the first thing on the list and a different exercise than what you are doing. I seen fighting dogs in my younger years that would come out of a keep and could go for absolute hours of extremely intense exercise. Way more than we ever ask of our hounds. They got that way from diet and exercise. Not being fed commercial dog food or being cut loose to run for 6 hours a night. I'm sure that you are dead serious about comp hunting and I think you would get a huge advantage by actually exercising the dog, not just cutting it loose. I don't comp hunt near like I used to but I changed my dogs diet a while back. The biggest advantage seems to be that he is really well hydrated now. His thyroid is a 1.2 and he can walk your guts out 7 nights a week for weeks on end. If you don't believe me ask my buddies that hate to see me get him out of the box.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-06-2018 08:35 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

That's good. I'm just telling you there is a lot of things his thyroid could be effective by being that low. Mine was a 1.2-1.4 and won 150-200 or so cast and the biggest hunter I've ever had. I read in one article that if there that low it can effect how good they can smell. But I don't know. Had another female last year right at 2. Did a lot of winning with her when winter hit she started missing a lot a would go miles through bottoms with coon in it and take forever to get treed and not have anything. When she was accurate in summer when I got her thyroid up she started having coon and not covering 5 miles of ground to find one when I had her in coon. I could tell a difference other than how fast she covered ground in her performance in summer. Having t levels that really effected her in the winter. Thyroid pills is not the juice. The juice is a dog steroid and people are using it to get an edge. Getting thyroid up will make them more furtile not sterile.

If your dog is that low hunt hunt him 7 nights a week all night and go back and check him. Guarantee he will test hypothyroid. I don't have all the answers I'm just going by what I've learned and what a vet that understands this told me over phone. But I've seen seen it first hand. Your dog I about guarantee would perform better if you got his t levels up.

Old Post 04-06-2018 12:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone perhaps wonder what we as owners physically do to perhaps damage the Thyroid Gland in our dogs. I will admit, I do not know if we can damage it. But if a Gland could be damaged by Physical Contact then the Thyroid as to be the #1 candidate in a dogs body.

We put collars on our hounds and tie them out. Lots of pulling and tugging goes on before they figure out what a chain is. I have seen them take off and about jerk their heads off.

We lead or dogs is some harsh conditions and every coonhunter I know has a dog before it learns to lead. Want to go one way around a tree when the hunter goes another. They get tangled in vines and all kinds of pressure is put on the Thyroid Gland.

Haven't even mentioned tying one up at the tree. They take some abuse then. Or how about the "tie one back and knock the coon down".

Now we get to the correction process. The shock collars with the ALPHA coming on the scene are probably at their highest levels of ever of being used.

Seriously think about your dogs body and about every time we come into contact with our hound. Either with the lead strap or connection through electronic signals to a collar. It is in the area of the Thyroid Gland.
I haven't even mentioned the Electronic Collar itself sitting on the dog neck and emitting a Magnetic Field from the battery and electronic signals from the collar.

Also we mention certain lines of hounds being affected more. First thing we want to jump on is "its a hereditary problem and they shouldn't be bred" I guarantee some of it is hereditary. But if you made a list of the dogs affected you would see at the top of the list some of the better dogs in the country. The dogs the competition hunters are looking for without a Thyroid issue. The top dogs are handled more, hunted more, on the leash more and corrected more than other hounds. They also operate at a level, that when something goes wrong it is noticed right away. The owners of those hounds due to the value of those hounds spend money getting to the bottom of the issue. So many times it turns out to be a Thyroid issue.

Now many of you will read this and say that Bruce has wrote a lot of things on here that is the biggest BS ever. You know what I might have to agree with you because I don't know and can't prove any of it. But the truth is. No one can prove it wrong either. So, please. I didn't write this to BS anyone. I wrote it to Friends to perhaps get everyone thinking there might be more to the story.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 04-06-2018 at 04:22 PM

Old Post 04-06-2018 01:27 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I don't have all the answers. Don't claim to. Different opionion is all I get by so called exsperts. I have seen it first hand. Ive seen dogs that are hypothyroid get there levels up and be world class hounds that would otherwise be mediocre at best.

Old Post 04-06-2018 02:02 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

It is a proven fact that genetics are the number 1 cause of thyroid dysfunction in dogs passed on by breeding . no different than hip dysplasia as another example of genetic traits passed on by breeding inferior foundation stock . if every one who has a dog that requires medication to preform the task it is breed for would post their dogs pedigrees we as breeders could eliminate those hounds from choices in our breeding programs . WHOS FIRST .LOL

Old Post 04-06-2018 02:13 PM