UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Question for Allen
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jackson Boys
UKC Forum Member

I guess we have a little more to say about this. Some of the best dogs that we have had were long and ugly. Example: Lumber Jack/ Big Maxie male 14 inches ugly looked just like snoopy. Long like he was crossed with a bassit hound. But a fine hound that could smoke a rabbit. Wouldn't ever put him on the bench.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-26-2014 02:11 AM
Jackson Boys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson Boys Click here to Send Jackson Boys a Private Message Click Here to Email Jackson Boys Find more posts by Jackson Boys Add Jackson Boys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mitch gould
nice lookin dogs jamey

only negative about the show ppl not bein the big ukc shows anymore Is the entertainment value offered when a cpl of them would lose ...i mean some of em would throw a fit ...lose their mind over a show lol us hunt first type of guys got a real kick out of it lol

Thank you Mitch. I hear ya on the entertainment value. Lmao

2009 Ohio State Hunt Grand Cast winner at age 9. 2007 NHBA Days Grand Champion Winner and Top Dog of the Hunt Winner, the only dog out of 80 to circle a rabbit that day. 2003 Ohio State UKC and NKC Best in show Winner, Nationals and Eliminator Best Senior Male. National Cast Winner 8 years in a row.
HBCH GRCH Cherry Hill Blue Ribbon Best in Show Winner of the 1st McVay
2002 Memorial Hunt, Champion of Champions Eliminator Hunt. National Cast winner 3 years in a row.
GRHBCH Gorman's Big Brassy
HBCH CH Gorman's Creek Jewel
CH Gorman's Princess Leia

"The more you think you know, the less you really know".

Old Post 09-26-2014 02:22 AM
Jamey Gorman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamey Gorman Click here to Send Jamey Gorman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamey Gorman Find more posts by Jamey Gorman Add Jamey Gorman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Mapes
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mitch gould
nice lookin dogs jamey

only negative about the show ppl not bein the big ukc shows anymore Is the entertainment value offered when a cpl of them would lose ...i mean some of em would throw a fit ...lose their mind over a show lol us hunt first type of guys got a real kick out of it lol

We need a like button on this forum Mitch, lol! Love the look of them hounds Mike, Dan and Jamey. Dan Beau was a true total dog, no doubt about it. Id take the conformation of the hounds pictured over these $1000 boxy show dogs any day.

DCK Rolling Red Rock
DCK Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
Beagles- (RIP) FC Buckeyes Big John
HBCH PCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

Last edited by Jeremy Mapes on 09-26-2014 at 11:53 AM

Old Post 09-26-2014 02:47 AM
Jeremy Mapes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Mapes Click here to Send Jeremy Mapes a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeremy Mapes Visit Jeremy Mapes's homepage! Find more posts by Jeremy Mapes Add Jeremy Mapes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Woods
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by VICKY B
Can anyone tell me the year the standard was last updated? Yes it needs revised. Yes I agree with Mr. Moore dogs need to hunt before they show..Hats off to Greg because he always does.

This is what it shows in the 2014 rule book:
Beagle
Official UKC Breed Standard
Scenthound Group
© Copyright 1990, United Kennel Club, Inc.
Revised January 1, 2013

a fair to middlin' beagle

Old Post 09-29-2014 02:43 PM
Jim Woods is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Woods Click here to Send Jim Woods a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Woods Add Jim Woods to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TOUCHSTONEBEAGL
UKC Forum Member

It is more common for show dogs to not run good because of their lack of hunt instincts and hunt desire. A well made dog with good conformation according to the current standard AND excellent hunt traits will give you everything you ever wanted in a hunting beagle.

Dogs with excellent structure but poor or marginal hunt traits should not be given a great deal of credit.

Could be a special class for beagles that do not hunt. In a hunting beagle program, the emphasis and recognition should be placed on great hunting beagles with good physical structure. IMO 50 points in the hunt is a very low standard for the right to be on the bench next to great hunting dogs. If you aren't running the dog, or if it does not pack in and contribute significantly to the hunt, it does not belong in the bench show of a hunting beagle competition.

Old Post 09-29-2014 03:40 PM
TOUCHSTONEBEAGL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Click here to Send TOUCHSTONEBEAGL a Private Message Click Here to Email TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Find more posts by TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Add TOUCHSTONEBEAGL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Corn
UKC Forum Member

Not true

Dan will disagree on part of this. Most show people do not hunt their dogs because of fear of getting killed, lost or getting hurt where they can not show. See a 300 dollar field dog is allot easier to replace then a 1500.00 show dog. Just the facts. I can try out and go through five hunting pups and hope they have what it takes in the field or pay 1000.00 or 1500 and know I can win in the show. Sorry I have owned dogs out of some of the nicest akc and ukc field lines for hunting. I can tell you this. Would rather have something that I know can do something rather then something I hope can. Thanks for reading and good luck.

Last edited by Gary Corn on 09-29-2014 at 04:20 PM

Old Post 09-29-2014 04:17 PM
Gary Corn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Corn Click here to Send Gary Corn a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Corn Visit Gary Corn's homepage! Find more posts by Gary Corn Add Gary Corn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

Im not even gona waste my time getting into this lol!!! Wow!!

"We Hual With Owens Boxes"
GRCH GRHBCH White River Coal Miner
GRCH GRHBCH Weedeater Fire River Blessing (Gena)
GRCH GRHBCH Litttle Italy's Gracie Girl
Regestered National Ch. GRHBCH Hartleyville Grimm Ripper
HBCH Big T's Leo's Coal Trash
GRHBCH Huttons Big T's Rip Fuel
(And Coming Soon)
Whiteriver Awhole Lotta Trouble
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )
GRHBCH Buck Lake Lola (RIP OLD GIRL)

Old Post 09-29-2014 07:07 PM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VICKY B
UKC Forum Member

Thanks but the only revision then was the requirements to enter the show, not the breed standard.

Old Post 09-29-2014 08:47 PM
VICKY B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VICKY B Click here to Send VICKY B a Private Message Visit VICKY B's homepage! Find more posts by VICKY B Add VICKY B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

Dan that is the best statement on this thread!!!!

(And Coming Soon)
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )

Old Post 09-29-2014 09:42 PM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Not true

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Corn
Dan will disagree on part of this. Most show people do not hunt their dogs because of fear of getting killed, lost or getting hurt where they can not show. See a 300 dollar field dog is allot easier to replace then a 1500.00 show dog. Just the facts. I can try out and go through five hunting pups and hope they have what it takes in the field or pay 1000.00 or 1500 and know I can win in the show. Sorry I have owned dogs out of some of the nicest akc and ukc field lines for hunting. I can tell you this. Would rather have something that I know can do something rather then something I hope can. Thanks for reading and good luck.

Gary, in your own words, you are saying you need one line for show and another line for hunt. This is not the standard for breeders like myself. In my opinion, you're taking the easy way out. I don't know why, you refuse to believe you can have hunt and show in one line. Yes, it is a lot harder to find a good hunting dog, than it is to find a good show dog, and even harder to have both. I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but I have had hunting dogs that $5000 wouldn't buy them. I wouldn't give you a nickel, for a dog that won't hunt. I heard the excuses about afraid of losing or dog getting hurt, and that just what they are, excuses ! My dogs mean more to me than most people, but I still hunt them. I don't put a dogs life into a dollar amount. With modern GPS, I don't know how you're gonna lose one and in 20yrs I've never had one killed hunting. UKC has always said they're promoting the total dog, and it's funny to me that AKC wants UKC dogs in their registry now. They're plenty of venues to find what your looking for. UKC as of now, would like to keep their show dogs, hunting dogs and that is why I support UKC. I encourage others to breed for the total dog and not show up to a hunt with 2 different breed of dogs. Taking the hunt requirement will only promote dogs that won't hunt, by your own admission Gary. All the best to you

2009 Ohio State Hunt Grand Cast winner at age 9. 2007 NHBA Days Grand Champion Winner and Top Dog of the Hunt Winner, the only dog out of 80 to circle a rabbit that day. 2003 Ohio State UKC and NKC Best in show Winner, Nationals and Eliminator Best Senior Male. National Cast Winner 8 years in a row.
HBCH GRCH Cherry Hill Blue Ribbon Best in Show Winner of the 1st McVay
2002 Memorial Hunt, Champion of Champions Eliminator Hunt. National Cast winner 3 years in a row.
GRHBCH Gorman's Big Brassy
HBCH CH Gorman's Creek Jewel
CH Gorman's Princess Leia

"The more you think you know, the less you really know".

Last edited by Jamey Gorman on 09-29-2014 at 11:34 PM

Old Post 09-29-2014 11:20 PM
Jamey Gorman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamey Gorman Click here to Send Jamey Gorman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamey Gorman Find more posts by Jamey Gorman Add Jamey Gorman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

Good 1 jamey!!

(And Coming Soon)
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )

Old Post 09-29-2014 11:26 PM
mitch gould
UKC Forum Member

exactly

click on link to visit our website
Heat- Em- Up Kennels

Old Post 09-30-2014 12:55 AM
mitch gould is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mitch gould Click here to Send mitch gould a Private Message Click Here to Email mitch gould Visit mitch gould's homepage! Find more posts by mitch gould Add mitch gould to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VICKY B
UKC Forum Member

Good post Jamey.

Old Post 09-30-2014 01:09 AM
VICKY B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VICKY B Click here to Send VICKY B a Private Message Visit VICKY B's homepage! Find more posts by VICKY B Add VICKY B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Mapes
UKC Forum Member

Yep!

DCK Rolling Red Rock
DCK Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
Beagles- (RIP) FC Buckeyes Big John
HBCH PCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

Old Post 09-30-2014 04:23 PM
Jeremy Mapes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Mapes Click here to Send Jeremy Mapes a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeremy Mapes Visit Jeremy Mapes's homepage! Find more posts by Jeremy Mapes Add Jeremy Mapes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote