UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting off the road in a competition
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Hunting off the road in a competition

Is there any recourse if you feel the guide isn't putting you in safe hunting areas?

For example I've drawn one guide a couple of times and on the first turn out he always has us cut off a blacktop road opposite a corn field. Each time at least one dog has ended up on the road either trying to work a track or just running the roads.

If we draw a guide that we aren't comfortable hunting with what can we do besides withdraw?

The guide has good hunting as the rest of the hunt always goes well it's just that first turn out. Maybe it's part of a strategy lol.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-13-2020 02:48 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Don’t make it rite but you have 2 options, You can guide or You can withdraw.

Old Post 09-13-2020 11:43 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Today's dogs

With the way comp dogs are trained to hunt today, does it matter if you cut off the blacktop or they cross it a mile away. I've seen guys plot when they guide on how to win and I've been with plenty that simply did the best they could to put you in coons. I have a couple ditches I usually start in to gauge what style of dogs are in the cast before picking my other drops. If he guides there all the time has there been any close calls? The other guy that posted is right only two options up front tell the club you can guide or withdraw if you don't feel comfortable dropping there.

Old Post 09-13-2020 01:24 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

I kinda thought that. Unfortunately these clubs are close enough to drive to but not close enough for me to guide also.

I cant say how close we've been to getting a dog run over but I know we had cars passing us on the road while dogs were in or close to the road.

Luckily I've finished my dog to grand now so probably wont run into that guide too much more. I've been avoiding two clubs I know he guides from.

Thanks guys!

Old Post 09-13-2020 02:27 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for posting this as I was literally just thinking about that this morning. I've never comp hunted before but go wayyy out of my way to drop in places not near any busy roads.

If you DO withdraw due to being too close to a highway for your comfort, is there any repercussions for doing so other than losing your entry fee?

Old Post 09-13-2020 07:05 PM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

No

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper

If you DO withdraw due to being too close to a highway for your comfort, is there any repercussions for doing so other than losing your entry fee? [/B]

The only time you can be in trouble for a withdraw is if you do so to keep from being scratched for fighting. Other than that at anytime you can withdraw and go get your dog in Ukc. Pkc is a little different I don't think you can leave the cast if there's only three of you. But not sure on that.

Old Post 09-13-2020 07:24 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: No

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
The only time you can be in trouble for a withdraw is if you do so to keep from being scratched for fighting. Other than that at anytime you can withdraw and go get your dog in Ukc. Pkc is a little different I don't think you can leave the cast if there's only three of you. But not sure on that.

Yes in pkc you will get wrote up for leaving a cast with less than 3 voting members.
In UKC you can ask for a cast for a vote to not cut from a dangerous spot. If the majority doesn't want to move your only recourse is to withdraw your dog.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-13-2020 08:16 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I get ready to withdraw I’m gonna with draw and ukc , Pkc and anybody else that has a problem with it can kiss my $$$!! I look at the map before I cut loose and if it’s that bad I’ll keep mine in the truck but as far as him getting on a road through yonder and running it...if he does I hope he gets hit!! Nothing I can do when he’s a mile away anyway but hope he gets off of it. I work on mine a lot around roads through out the week. I can’t keep him from crossing a road but I can break him from wanting to run it. It is dangerous and it only takes 1 car to kill one at the right time no matter how well they are trained but these guys that have dogs that just hit the road and take off...I don’t see how y’all deal with that. I’d run him over myself 😂😂

Old Post 09-13-2020 09:57 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If a dog runs a road where I live, he doesn't last very long. I break them off that right away. If I send my dog down a road, he will turn and go in the woods before he goes 10 yds.

Old Post 09-14-2020 12:06 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Yes. I work on mine for running roads as well. I think that's a dangerous habit.

We still have others in the cast though and not everyone breaks their dog from roads and when the others get in the road it affects the whole cast.

For example, one dog goes hunting alone. Two others get on the road. Cast decides to call time out. Alone dog gets treed with coon during timeout or can't be caught in time because they weren't on road and get scratched. Either way, they are negatively affected but did nothing wrong.

Unfortunately during competitions we have to deal with various levels of training and knowledge of the competing hounds and handlers. Having our own "house in order" is only half the battle. My real question was if there was anything that can be done about it other than withdrawing.

Old Post 09-20-2020 02:48 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Coby Wright
Yes. .. My real question was if there was anything that can be done about it other than withdrawing.

And the answer was; vote, call time out and move if majority votes to or withdraw.
If the guide has nowhere else, then you go back to the club and get a new non hunting guide.

Old Post 09-20-2020 03:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
And the answer was; vote, call time out and move if majority votes to or withdraw.
If the guide has nowhere else, then you go back to the club and get a new non hunting guide.

I understand that and the question was answered and the thread was done before you added a non value comment about your dog not running the road.

Old Post 09-20-2020 06:01 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, yes the question was answered so I did add a comment. Do you really think that training your dog not to run a road is a non value comment? Did that bother you?

Old Post 09-20-2020 06:46 PM
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, yes the question was answered so I did add a comment. Do you really think that training your dog not to run a road is a non value comment? Did that bother you?

Nope.

Please continue with the gold nugget posts though.

Thanks for your help.

Old Post 09-20-2020 10:43 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Colby

I think most of the posters missed what you were most concerned about and that was the danger of a dog getting ran over or killed. It would be extremely dangerous to cut loose off a blacktop road that close to a corn field and not expect a dog to at least cross the road either to hunt the corn field or chasing a coon that went to the cornfield from the other side of the road. As suggested by one poster, you should request a cast vote on turning loose at that spot and if the cast agreed to turn loose, you could withdraw your dog. Remember this, a hunt is not worth the risk of getting your dog killed. If I am put in a dangerous situation, I will NEVER let my dog be turned loose, there is always another hunt. Dave

Old Post 09-20-2020 11:32 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Some places it is safer to turn loose from the road than just off of it.

Old Post 09-21-2020 04:13 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Knew a guy once that had a drop between the east and west bound lanes of I 40. It was a strip where the interstate separated. You didn't want to hunt there you could withdraw.

He hunted it all the time and was the only one. Treed alot of coons there.

I never turned my dog in there.

Old Post 09-21-2020 04:25 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote