UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What Is Considered Ambush Coon??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

What Is Considered Ambush Coon??

When you hear ambushed what does that mean?

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2020 08:53 AM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Its a dog that takes off in a dead sprint when cut. Runs in a line or around the edge of a woods silent. Pretty much runs up on coon and opens right before they tree. I had an ambush dog when you cut him he would sprint 100 yrds stop dead throw his head up then sprint into the wind. He would get a mile deep in under 2 min. and would be struck and treed before most dogs were done cleaning out.
They run past a lot of coon. Guys will say there hot nose dogs thats not true it's a hunting style. My ambush dog could work a cold track when he had to if coon were not moving. He still did that faster than most dogs.

Old Post 12-20-2020 02:27 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

never heard the saying

but guess i have one he has caught coon on the ground in 4 different states but is wide open when doing it just fast thanks tim

Old Post 12-20-2020 05:10 PM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Its a dog that takes off in a dead sprint when cut. Runs in a line or around the edge of a woods silent. Pretty much runs up on coon and opens right before they tree. I had an ambush dog when you cut him he would sprint 100 yrds stop dead throw his head up then sprint into the wind. He would get a mile deep in under 2 min. and would be struck and treed before most dogs were done cleaning out.
They run past a lot of coon. Guys will say there hot nose dogs thats not true it's a hunting style. My ambush dog could work a cold track when he had to if coon were not moving. He still did that faster than most dogs.

A mile in less then 2 min? That is over 30 MPH......
In my opinion ambush dogs don’t run old tracks, they just cover more ground to find the type of coon they they want. They seem to take only “fresh” tracks that will be finished shortly. The amount they open depends on what type of opening dog they are. Some are silent and some open on track and some even open when cut loose and never shut up. That’s what I’ve called a ambush dog. I’m sure others have different opinions. This should be a interesting topic tho.

Old Post 12-21-2020 01:51 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Ambush Coon

A coon that is usually all the way up to the top clinging on for dear life or up smaller trees are usually ambushed. They have been pushed hard so they climb all the way up or they climb the next available tree. A dog that ambushes most of the time flies around looking for one to put up in a short amount of time. They are looking for a Coon not a coon track, if that makes sense.

Old Post 12-21-2020 02:05 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
A mile in less then 2 min? That is over 30 MPH......
In my opinion ambush dogs don’t run old tracks, they just cover more ground to find the type of coon they they want. They seem to take only “fresh” tracks that will be finished shortly. The amount they open depends on what type of opening dog they are. Some are silent and some open on track and some even open when cut loose and never shut up. That’s what I’ve called a ambush dog. I’m sure others have different opinions. This should be a interesting topic tho.

My bad more like 9/10 of a mile. You know right at the range where the garmin switches over from yrds to miles. Those with the deep and lonely dogs know what i'm taking about. Those that walk hunt may not LOL

Old Post 12-21-2020 12:43 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Ambush dog

Only had one, got him at 8 weeks, on they way home with him I pulled over at a park like place for potty time, figuring he would sniff around and pee, I put on the ground, he took off like Biden leaving the podium. Got him caught and you would think it would be easy to catch a 8 week old puppy but it wasn't. And that is how hunted, dead run, a lot easy coon but he could take a tougher one if he ran out of running room

Old Post 12-21-2020 07:15 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ambush Coon

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
They are looking for a Coon not a coon track, .

That's my definition of ambush style. Hard and fast looking for one kicking tree bark in his face.

Old Post 12-21-2020 08:35 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

To me it always meant running up on a hot one, be 50 yards or a mile!

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 12-21-2020 09:11 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Rebecca, I understand. My Garmin switches over from yards to tenths around 900-1000 yards , then it switches to .6 could be the way they are set up tho. I think the topic is on what a ambush coon is more then how fast a dog hunts. A dog that ambushes has to move at a minimum speed? I feel that most ambush type dogs do hunt fast but I’m not sure that really makes them a ambush dog. I personally like big hunting dogs but the more I’m around them the more I think a dog that would cover the ground in front of them with a sense of urgency but covered it throughly is the ticket. Seems to be hard to find that style of hunting dog tho.

Old Post 12-21-2020 10:25 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote