UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who hunts with a savage rascal?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Josh Michaelis

I respect your opinion regarding your choice of coon hunting guns, I just do not agree ( imagine that ) coon hunters like everyone else seldom agree in much. The OP was in fact asking about the Rascal and while there are lots of suitable guns for coon hunting, the Rascal meets and exceeds most of what one looks for, it's lightweight, well built, easy to operate and very accurate. I know we all are different in what we personally like, but a Rascal is a good choice and I speak from experience. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2020 08:16 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Josh Michaelis

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I respect your opinion regarding your choice of coon hunting guns, I just do not agree ( imagine that ) coon hunters like everyone else seldom agree in much. The OP was in fact asking about the Rascal and while there are lots of suitable guns for coon hunting, the Rascal meets and exceeds most of what one looks for, it's lightweight, well built, easy to operate and very accurate. I know we all are different in what we personally like, but a Rascal is a good choice and I speak from experience. Dave

Like I said, I have both. If it were not for my son claiming it I would give him my rascal. It is not as easy to load, especially with gloves on. He can buy whatever he likes, but if he is looking for light, the badger is a better option in my opinion.

Old Post 01-14-2020 08:48 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Josh Michaelis

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Like I said, I have both. If it were not for my son claiming it I would give him my rascal. It is not as easy to load, especially with gloves on. He can buy whatever he likes, but if he is looking for light, the badger is a better option in my opinion.

I second this. Just paint the end sight with whiteout and adjust the stock out.

Old Post 01-14-2020 09:20 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

It’s hard for me to comfortably shoot youth rifles. I get the appeal as far as compact size. From a quality standpoint, the CZ452 Scout would be tops in my book. You can run it as a single shot or CZ offers 5 and ten round magazines.

Old Post 01-14-2020 09:27 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Dave, do you own the Henry mini bolt? It's only 3.25 lbs and looks like a nice rig

Old Post 01-14-2020 10:35 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sleepy head

Yes, I own a Henry Accubolt, a adult size mini bolt in stainless steel, it is a very nice gun, HEAVIER and way more expensive that the Rascal. I sold a mini bolt because I prefer the Full size Accubolt identical except full size. I own just about every brand of 22 rifle made that I liked. The Cricket, chipmunk, are okay, but very hard to load or they would be hard to beat for coon hunting. I own the Mossberg plinkster and the Rossi rs22 both autos clip fed and bargain priced that I carry when hunting by myself ( saves reloading if I miss and I do sometimes lol ). The Rossi rs22 auto weighs about 4 pounds grooved rail for scope and is very accurate 120.00 price range . Like I said there are lots of choices for coon hunting rifles that are short in length, light in weight and shoot very good at a variety of price points. You can spend 100 to several thousand dollars for 22 rifles, the choices are there. I own several Anshultzs that are super accurate, way over priced for coon hunting. I own a couple of Remington nylon 66 that are good for coon hunting and were once very popular, more of a collecter item today. I have a T/C Hotshot youth 22 that I usually take hunting with others single shot like a Contender only superlight and Accurate. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

22 Rifles

Funny story, I like collecting 22 rifles and have bought many over the years. A local gun store had a young man working there and I bought several different 22 rifles from that store, I would always say that gun will make a good coon hunting rifle and buy it. One day as I was buying another "coon hunting " 22 rifle from the same store, the young man asked me if I would mind him asking me a question? I Saud no, go ahead and he then asked me, how many coon hunting rifles do you have? I laughed and told him that that was just an excuse I used to buy another 22 and that I more than a man could use, we both laughed. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:28 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have 2 Daisy 22 they are super light. Also was just talking with my gun man, he said the new crickets have a slide that makes loading easy. On my to the store in the a m.

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:39 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

Cricket is making some nice new models of 22 rifles, but the prices are high, at some of their prices, you would be better with a CZ, a Target 10/22, or even a lower end Anshultz model. I have looked at some, but not very interested at their price , when better guns are available in that range. Let me know if they have included a feed ramp on their basic cricket model, as the main reason I really don't like them is feeding the shell into the chamber is hard to do, especially at night. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 05:30 AM
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

Right now I’m using the newer Savage b22 with 18” threaded barrel, 10 round rotary mag and accutrigger and I really like it. Nice and compact. I also like the little Browning t bolts with a short threaded barrel but they’re expensive

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:11 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

If you want light you need the Magnum 22lr or 22mag. Has carbon fiber barrel, Hogue stock, based on a 10/22 action but its aluminum frame. Takes the same clips as the 10/22 also. By far the lightest I've seen or touched in a full sized frame.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:39 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Dave they have a new cricket called gen 2. It has the new loading rail that just drop the shell in and the bolt puts in the chamber. cost 130.00

Old Post 01-15-2020 06:24 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

You guys got me wanting to buy a new rifle. My wife won't be happy with you.

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:11 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
You guys got me wanting to buy a new rifle. My wife won't be happy with you.

Be prepared to take a breath if you go look a Magnum. They aren't cheap but I promise you there aren't any lighter full sized rifles.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:52 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher Tom
You guys got me wanting to buy a new rifle. My wife won't be happy with you. [/QUOTE

Me too, I'm eye balling the keystone 722.... compact sporter

Old Post 01-15-2020 08:14 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

Thank you, I will buy one of those, the only thing I really disliked about the one I have was loading shell in chamber as small as they are. Not crazy about the way you attach a scope either, but can live with it. Anyone that runs across a T/C Hotshot 22 better buy it, the look just like a Contender but super light and you can't change barrels, wish the still made them. I have 1 now but would like a spare just in case I lose it ( bad about putting down after I shoot coon out to tie my dog ). Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 08:25 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom/Sleepy

Tom, the Rossi RS22 is a good gun, it's a compact 22 automatic rifle with a 10 round clip, has the fire sights grooved for scope, weight approx 4 pounds and very well priced. I recently bought 2 on sale at 99.99 each, nice stock with sling studs, all reviews on these guns are good, basically same gun as Mossberg plinkster only better stock, mags fit both, so you can buy extra mags for Plinkster or RS22 as they are the same mags. Sleepy, I liked the Cricket model you are buying, just not the price. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 08:34 PM
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Thompson Centerfire 22 is what I have, I bet my scope weighs more than the gun. Comes factory with rail and threaded barrel.

Old Post 01-15-2020 09:35 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tom/Sleepy

quote:
Tom, the Rossi RS22 is a good gun, it's a compact 22 automatic rifle with a 10 round clip, has the fire sights grooved for scope, weight approx 4 pounds and very well priced. I recently bought 2 on sale at 99.99 each, nice stock with sling studs, all reviews on these guns are good, basically same gun as Mossberg plinkster only better stock, mags fit both, so you can buy extra mags for Plinkster or RS22 as they are the same mags. Sleepy, I liked the Cricket model you are buying, just not the price. Lol. Dave

Well the single shot 22 I'm using now, I bought well used 45 years ago. Had to build a firing pin out of a broken pocket knife. Still shooting coon out with it today. Left it in the woods one time for about a week before I could remember where I left it. Guess it's time for a new one.

Old Post 01-15-2020 09:45 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

Lol. Yes, you need to retire the old single shot, some family member will treasure it and all the memories that go along with the gun. Look at the Rossi 22 auto, I think you will like them, they are ideal for coon hunting, just keep the 10 round clip loaded and in your pocket or coat. Has sling studs already mounted on stock, grooved rail for scope, but nice fire sights if you prefer open sights. Priced right less than 120.00 on sale 100.00 can't beat the gun for the money, weighs 4 pounds. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 10:51 PM
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
If you want light you need the Magnum 22lr or 22mag. Has carbon fiber barrel, Hogue stock, based on a 10/22 action but its aluminum frame. Takes the same clips as the 10/22 also. By far the lightest I've seen or touched in a full sized frame.

That's what I use, they are a little pricey but they only weigh 3# and shoot better than any .22 I've ever used. 10 shot groups you can cover with a dime.

Old Post 01-16-2020 01:49 AM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tom Wood

quote:
Lol. Yes, you need to retire the old single shot, some family member will treasure it and all the memories that go along with the gun. Look at the Rossi 22 auto, I think you will like them, they are ideal for coon hunting, just keep the 10 round clip loaded and in your pocket or coat. Has sling studs already mounted on stock, grooved rail for scope, but nice fire sights if you prefer open sights. Priced right less than 120.00 on sale 100.00 can't beat the gun for the money, weighs 4 pounds. Dave

Forgot to say I paid $12.50 for it. Suppose I can find something that cheap? Lol.

Old Post 01-16-2020 03:23 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

Lol. When you factor in inflation, a new ROSSI probably cost less in today's dollars. Shucks 12.50 was not all that cheap in those days. Anyway, you Deserve a new gun and if you were closer I would give you one. Dave

Old Post 01-16-2020 03:34 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Got my new cricket today. I got the wood stock, looks more like a gun. It works as advertised.

Old Post 01-16-2020 07:16 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

If you don't care to post the price, I would like to know. Thanks, Dave

Old Post 01-16-2020 09:30 PM