UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Serious Question about New Rule “ Calling wrong dog”
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Serious Question about New Rule “ Calling wrong dog”

First off, I AM A FAN OF THE NEW RULES, I AM EXCITED TO NOW HUNT UKC AND ITS BEEN A LONG TIME

HOWEVER, as a competitive hunter I think the calling the wrong dog rule needs amended ASAP!!!

In the video it says that rule was put in for the kids and I am all for the kids not being afraid or punished more making a mistake on the first offense

BUT, if it is just a warning the first time instead of a minus you can bet your last dollar that there is going to sure enough be some quick calling of the first dog that barks because there is no repercussions to borrowing that dog for first strike. If you get away with it there is a 100 you just got and you can do it again the next drop because you got away with it the first time without receiving the warning so what going to stop you from trying for a free 100 the next drop

I know it is Honor Rules but I live in the real world and know how the ball bounces.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-08-2020 04:08 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

No points are assigned on first offense, 2nd time minus points 3rd scratched.
They won't gain a thing by calling the wrong dog.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-08-2020 04:29 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Serious Question about New Rule “ Calling wrong dog”

"BUT, if it is just a warning the first time instead of a minus you can bet your last dollar that there is going to sure enough be some quick calling of the first dog that barks because there is no repercussions to borrowing that dog for first strike. If you get away with it there is a 100 you just got and you can do it again the next drop because you got away with it the first time without receiving the warning so what going to stop you from trying for a free 100 the next drop"

U really think that another handler is going to let u borrow his dog for 1st. strike, maybe in a "know nothing cast" you'll get away with it...... BUT as your competitor/handler u ain't gonna get away with it ....... Honor rules or no honor rules..

Old Post 01-08-2020 09:38 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I guarantee you it’s going to happen. I have seen dogs borrowed many times.

I do not use the term borrowed as something your buddy loans you. I use it as a sarcastic borrow.

Maybe I am thinking about this rule wrong.

Here is my thought process.

Line up cut dogs. Dog opens I strike for 100 on first thing that opens, guy says hey that’s my dog, judge warns me.

OR, it goes like this.

Line up cut dogs. Dog opens I strike for a 100 on first thing that opens, no one says anything about it being their dog, I get 100 and going to do it next drop also

Old Post 01-08-2020 11:59 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

As long as "kiddie" rules r in grown up competition hunts your latter scenerio will happen , but when u line up 4 grown competitors weeeelllllll.....try it.

If no one says nothing that isn't a rule that needs change .....thats handler weakness ......

Old Post 01-08-2020 12:48 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Sir, I have won multiple Pro hunts, state races, state Ukc hunts, breed hunts, final 4 of world hunt.

I speak from experience on what grown up men are going to do

You get down to that last drop and they 25 behind there going to be some striking going on.

I have already had too many people call me after they saw the video and laugh at that one saying watch out

There is a new crop of handlers getting ready to show up and they will hand out lessons $20 at a time. Trust me

Last edited by high ridge on 01-08-2020 at 01:17 PM

Old Post 01-08-2020 12:55 PM
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Congrats on your accomplishments.

Old Post 01-08-2020 01:26 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thank you, I didn’t list them to brag.

Old Post 01-08-2020 01:32 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
Sir, I have won multiple Pro hunts, state races, state Ukc hunts, breed hunts, final 4 of world hunt.

You get down to that last drop and they 25 behind there going to be some striking going on.

I have already had too many people call me after they saw the video and laugh at that one saying watch out

There is a new crop of handlers getting ready to show up and they will hand out lessons $20 at a time. Trust me

Might just be a group gonna show up learned them lessons when they was $6 and ain’t forgot um either lol.

Just saying.

Tar

Old Post 01-08-2020 01:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

You are exactly right Tar. Nothing I hate worse than drawing that old timer that invented the things we watch out for.

They are like fine wine, smoother with age

Old Post 01-08-2020 01:38 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Can you just imagine drawing one of them 3 hr style dogs that just got stronger the longer the hunt went and just kept pounding you the whole hunt and one of the old guys that if that made a mistake knew how to get through it squeaky clean ?

Last night mine couldn’t do nothing right I quit at 1:00 I couldn’t stand it no more no rule would have helped that mess.

Tar

Old Post 01-08-2020 01:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Well said High Ridge

As long as the rules of the competition give an advantage in points to a dog for opening first......you will ALWAYS have loose mouthed babblers being entered in that competition "attempting" to gain that advantage.

**There is no other rule that carries more assumption, requires less hound talent, "and yet carries more weight in the outcome of a hunt," than the points that are awarded for merely "barking" first.

OK, OK, I agree...I've beat clear through the saddle and the horse's ribs are starting to show now. LOL

402-209-5053

Old Post 01-08-2020 02:27 PM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Horse to death

OK, OK, I agree...I've beat clear through the saddle and the horse's ribs are starting to show now. LOL [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll agree that alot of people have beat this horse to death. Rules change every 3 years. Change it next time. Let everyone strike in for the same, vote to kill the babbler, or slap the guy intentionally calling the dog. But please somebody come up with something reasonable instead of babbling on about it with no real track to go down and nothing at the end.

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 01-08-2020 at 05:32 PM

Old Post 01-08-2020 05:30 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

A good judge will not let that happen after the first drop. In fact, a good judge won't put up with much of that kind of crap. MOHs need to select the best judges possible.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 01-08-2020 05:57 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I'm with Billy on this one, I've not liked the sounds of this rule since I heard about it. If there's no consequence you better believe folks will try it us it to their advantage. Why couldn't we just apply this rule to youth cast?

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-08-2020 06:25 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

next 3 years

It hasn't been 2 weeks yet and someone is already complaining. Let this settle for the next 3 years then bring it back up. This is a sad world when you can't enjoy the sport that you used to get together and fellowship and laugh and cut up with one another and still be friends the next day. Not had to think about how the next guy or gal is going to screw you because either you have the better dog or you just out handled him or her. the scoring is now 20% dog and 80 % person. Used to be the other way around. Now you have to build the type of dog in order to play game. Lets do this.

Home of:
PR Fitzko's Hardwood Mighty Mouse

Old Post 01-08-2020 06:31 PM
Daniel Fitzko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Fitzko Click here to Send Daniel Fitzko a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Fitzko Add Daniel Fitzko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

The best solution I see to the babbling issue is to put everybody on notice right now that they've got til rule change 2022 to shut those barking idiots up. Strike em or minus em right off the snap on or before the third bark just like it used to be. We didn't have any problemss til they started allowing them to do it. Just about the easiest thing there is to fix and just about the easiest thing to judge when you sstill have your lights on them.

Surely three years should be enough notice....I can break the majority of them in three nights.

Old Post 01-08-2020 07:26 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
The best solution I see to the babbling issue is to put everybody on notice right now that they've got til rule change 2022 to shut those barking idiots up. Strike em or minus em right off the snap on or before the third bark just like it used to be. We didn't have any problemss til they started allowing them to do it. Just about the easiest thing there is to fix and just about the easiest thing to judge when you sstill have your lights on them.

Surely three years should be enough notice....I can break the majority of them in three nights.

AGREE!!!!

Old Post 01-08-2020 08:53 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
A good judge will not let that happen after the first drop. In fact, a good judge won't put up with much of that kind of crap. MOHs need to select the best judges possible.

I agree a good judge will catch it, but there no consequences for a guy trying it is all I getting at.

If I strike a dog and it isn’t mine I deserve minus, not a do better the next time

Old Post 01-08-2020 08:57 PM
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

Re: Serious Question about New Rule “ Calling wrong dog”

quote:
First off, I AM A FAN OF THE NEW RULES, I AM EXCITED TO NOW HUNT UKC AND ITS BEEN A LONG TIME

HOWEVER, as a competitive hunter I think the calling the wrong dog rule needs amended ASAP!!!

In the video it says that rule was put in for the kids and I am all for the kids not being afraid or punished more making a mistake on the first offense

BUT, if it is just a warning the first time instead of a minus you can bet your last dollar that there is going to sure enough be some quick calling of the first dog that barks because there is no repercussions to borrowing that dog for first strike. If you get away with it there is a 100 you just got and you can do it again the next drop because you got away with it the first time without receiving the warning so what going to stop you from trying for a free 100 the next drop

I know it is Honor Rules but I live in the real world and know how the ball bounces.

I agree 100 percent and thought the exact same thing when I watched the new rule video last night. This is a bad revision. Yes, a good judge will catch it, but when there is no punishment and a guy just has to say "oh well it was worth a try", then your going to see it happen a lot. Strike the wrong dog and you should be minused. I'm all for looking the other way for kids, but not adults.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 01-08-2020 09:37 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I can see the opening for problems with the new rule. Some are gonna try it until they can't if there's no penalty the first time. Many times if you get away with it once is enough to make the difference in a cast. Maybe should have left it the way it was for events run under championship rules. I do see both sides ... sucks to see a kid or newcomer minused first offence

Old Post 01-08-2020 09:47 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens

I've said this for years agree 100% that would fix a ton of the babblers.

Old Post 01-09-2020 01:23 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
I've said this for years agree 100% that would fix a ton of the babblers.

They sure didn’t cut me no slack when I first started. You just knew not to give them a reason!!

Tar

Old Post 01-09-2020 01:28 AM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Re: next 3 years

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Fitzko
[B)
This is a sad world when you can't enjoy the sport that you used to get together and fellowship and laugh and cut up with one another and still be friends the next day. Not had to think about how the next guy or gal is going to screw you because either you have the better dog or you just out handled him or her. [/B]

First off the people I cut up with are respectable hunters who don't pull trash like that regardless of what the rules say. They pack good dogs and don't mind showing what their dogs can do compared to what the others do. Next we can talk these subject of babblers to death, rulers ain't changing for 3 years. We are stuck with em. Last I love the 80% to 20% comment. Fit great after saying because you have a better dog or because you out handle em. I personally ain't trying to figure out how to stick it to you after being ( out handled) I'm trying to refrain from saying and doing what's on my mind. But fun isn't striking a babbling dog another way of (out handling) someone or did you mean something by that statement? When I'm hunting with friends it's let's cut em loose and see what dog looks best and pulling for each others dogs. And cutting up, joking and seeing what dog looks best that night. Regardless of who it belongs to or what paint job is on it. Just having fun and letting the points land where they do.

Old Post 01-09-2020 01:35 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Serious Question about New Rule “ Calling wrong dog”

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
I agree 100 percent and thought the exact same thing when I watched the new rule video last night. This is a bad revision. Yes, a good judge will catch it, but when there is no punishment and a guy just has to say "oh well it was worth a try", then your going to see it happen a lot. Strike the wrong dog and you should be minused. I'm all for looking the other way for kids, but not adults.

I also thought the exact same thing. I could think of two handlers right off the top of my head that always pulled this trick on the first drop every hunt. It was hard to figure out as a judge if you had never hunted with the other dogs before. Now, second drop comes and they try it again for a warning only hoping they get away with it and don’t get caught, specially if they have a low end strike dog or a silent dog. Trying to help a younger or newer hunter just opened up a loop hole for more experienced/less than honorable handler to work with to try to gain an advantage.

Old Post 01-09-2020 03:22 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote