UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do People Really Train Dogs to Babble?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Do People Really Train Dogs to Babble?

I really find it hard to believe this is done on purpose. Back 40 or more years ago we used precautions to keep dogs from wanting to babble. Like not hunting a pup that couldn't keep up. Or constantly driving down creek banks and turning on hot coon after hot coon. I have that seen that teach many to come out of the box barking and never shutting up.

But do people in this day and time. Really set out to TEACH a dog to babble.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-31-2019 03:29 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I think the people that know the answer with 100% certainty aren't going to answer your question.

Old Post 12-31-2019 03:50 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

It's hard to imagine isn't it,someone teaching a dog to do something that most of us have spent a lifetime trying to make sure a dog doesn't do,but then again.....I'm not looking for points

Old Post 12-31-2019 03:57 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I don't think it is taught. It's a uncorrected habit that the owner has allowed. Jmho

Old Post 12-31-2019 04:18 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You open your door a theif will come in. The rules allow it so they capitalize on it. The same guy that says his dog is an honest strike dog off the snap is the same guy that will try and scratch a tighter mouth dog for being silent just because his dog cannot compete as well with a dog he can’t hear till it’s to late.

Tar

Old Post 12-31-2019 05:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar that don't come close to answering the question. Capitalizing on a dogs fault is done all the time in hunts. Circle points for a slick treeing dog is capitalizing on a dogs mistake.

Nobody trains their dogs to slick tree. Their training methods may favor a dog becoming a slick dog by not correcting the problem.

Question was. Do people actually train hounds INTENTIONALLY to babble.

Old Post 12-31-2019 05:36 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Bruce imo I don't believe it's taught, like someone else said it's an uncorrected habit, some people love to look and act like a professional trainer take credit for teaching the dog this.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 12-31-2019 05:51 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

I have a 8 month old pup that has opened his mouth off the leash since I started hunting him. I think he was born with it. Some start out barking behind other dogs . I can turn him loose with dogs an he will bark behind or out in front. They are not trained to do it . It’s owner allows it to go on. I don’t like it . But he hasn’t started treeing good enough to do a lot of correcting. Like tar said, the rules support it. I might leave him alone an join the rest of the babbling idiots.

Old Post 12-31-2019 06:22 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar that don't come close to answering the question. Capitalizing on a dogs fault is done all the time in hunts. Circle points for a slick treeing dog is capitalizing on a dogs mistake.

Nobody trains their dogs to slick tree. Their training methods may favor a dog becoming a slick dog by not correcting the problem.

Question was. Do people actually train hounds INTENTIONALLY to babble.

The answer is YES,absolutely.I had a pkc hunter tell me he wanted his dog to bark from the time his foot hit the ground until he loaded him up.ABSOLUTELY!

Old Post 12-31-2019 06:52 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

This is just me personally, but even if they moved 1st strike up to 200, I'd still wouldn't own a rattled headed babbling dog for the hunts. Winning is only so important to me I reckon

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 12-31-2019 06:55 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by critter
The answer is YES,absolutely.I had a pkc hunter tell me he wanted his dog to bark from the time his foot hit the ground until he loaded him up.ABSOLUTELY!
I fully agree you watch people tell them all the time (talk to him scooter,talk to him)and if u ain't breaking it out of them your teaching it to them don't matter if it's a kid,horse,dog,goat jmo

Old Post 12-31-2019 07:07 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

It may be possible to train one to babble but to get one to bark constantly for 20 minutes before it hits a real track would be really hard unless the dog is naturally a barker. The dog I have now just won't bark behind another dog. I didn't train this it's just the way it is. Would be hard to make him a babbler. If he was a babbler I would either break him or cull him. Can't stand one.

Old Post 12-31-2019 07:19 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by critter

You don’t have to lie to make friends

Old Post 12-31-2019 07:22 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Oh the naivety of some that come on this board!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-31-2019 07:52 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I know for a fact it has been done several times. Just how common is it? I don't have a clue but I do know people that intentionally use the tools they have available to make the dog fit the rules.

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:02 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I don't get out much but I've never seen anyone take a dog from a pup that didn't already take off barking and make it a babbler. I have seen several,several pups that barked at dogs every breath taking off from the first they was took at night and not ever get corrected and then the owner claim he taught him to be a first/automatic strike dog. If there's a secret to getting one to do it, I prefer no one ever tell me it lol.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:25 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Do People Really Train Dogs to Babble?

In my opinion the short answer is NO they do not. But that doesn't mean they are doing anything to correct it either.

You see, way more is being done in the breeding pen to develop the trait to babble, than is being done in the training pen. Breed for a more level headed hound and a more level headed hound you will get. Breed for a silent trailing hound and a more silent trailing hound you will get.

Since the rules have now changed to give the silent dog a better advantage, the more you will see dogs being bred to obtain the silent trait. You see it all starts in the breeding pen and then the trainers work to hone the skills of that trait to work to their advantage to win a hunt.

There is no reason now what so ever to NOT allow any canine to participate in a coon treeing contest like is being offered in 2020. Desired traits are now out the window, it's now leaning simply toward the dog that trees the most coon, regardless of how they get it done.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:58 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

It can be and absolutely is taught and encouraged. Much in the same vein as the dog that runs junk and falls off on a coon somewhere. Seen it, been around it, been beat by it, and until and unless they all go in for the same strike it will continue to be a bad habit that is encouraged and in many cases bred for.
I hate them.

Old Post 12-31-2019 11:19 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Wit dogs now allowed to be silent there wil be more gripin bout babblers cause old tite mouth cant stay with them on any track hot or cold.
been huntin over 40 years. judged guided made nite champ and grand nites. only run into a few real true mouthy dogs. half you ole boys don't know diff cause youre dog aint got a nose or is tite mouth most them are in youre imagination cause all thes babblers u guys talk bout just don't exist. if you think you draw them every week end maybe you need to look at wants on end of youre own lead
the ones on here gripin most probly hunt still mouth hot nose curs hounds kind jmo

something else you boys say even strike or no strike points. so you want dogs runnin round treein all nite wit no track ability and just scorin trees . that is nuts. you guys really git pleasure from that. mite as well hunt curs. hope my huntin days never see the day the rules change to not give a dog strike points

any dog can be trained to do anything if the desire is ther but who in right mind would do it then injoy the result and half to hunt wit it

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 12-31-2019 at 11:40 PM

Old Post 12-31-2019 11:19 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't understand why some hunters hate babblers or open mouth trailers so much. I can see that some would not prefer a dog that opens a lot on track but to say that you absolutely can't stand or hate a babbler, I don't understand.

Almost everyone wants/likes a dog that gets real excited when they tree and barks every breath. They even have contests to see whose dog can bark the most. So what is the matter with a dog that gets real excited and barks a lot when they trail? Maybe we should have trailing contests to see whose dog can bark the most on track.

Old Post 12-31-2019 11:50 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

You ole boys that’s trying to get people to believe that the babbling junk you hunt has a nose better than a honest, tighter mouth dog is BS . A lot of the babbling crap is a hot nosed pop a hot coon up dog that can’t keep his mouth shut. A real cold nosed track dog with brains uses its mouth right. Been around the block with these dogs. You fellas that hunt that babbling crap will make sly remarks after the hunt on how ole babbling joe won the cast. If they can smell so good why they go a mile in a straight line before they get treed. Especially when they are cut loose in places where a coon is in every other tree.

Old Post 12-31-2019 11:51 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I don't understand why some hunters hate babblers or open mouth trailers so much. I can see that some would not prefer a dog that opens a lot on track but to say that you absolutely can't stand or hate a babbler, I don't understand.

Almost everyone wants/likes a dog that gets real excited when they tree and barks every breath. They even have contests to see whose dog can bark the most. So what is the matter with a dog that gets real excited and barks a lot when they trail? Maybe we should have trailing contests to see whose dog can bark the most on track.

Mr Richard, I hope you are trying to be funny. If you know the difference between a dog that gets excited over what it’s bred to do. An a dog that barks for reason other than it’s a retarded idiot.

Old Post 12-31-2019 11:55 PM
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
.............. and until and unless they all go in for the same strike it will continue to be a bad habit that is encouraged and in many cases bred for.

I hate them.

Cory, I couldn't agree more.

2. POINT SYSTEM
(a) 100 points for dog that "opens first" aka "barks first"

Not "goes hunting for a coon harder", not "tracks a coon faster", not "figures out a track faster",......NO, NO & NO!! None of those things.

It ONLY rewards a "bark". And the quicker you "bark", the more points you receive.....for a "bark".

There is no other rule that carries more assumption, requires less hound tallent, yet carries more weight in the outcome of a hunt, than the points that are awarded for merely "barking" first.

I tried explaining the comp hunting rules to a buddy at work who knows NOTHING about hounds or even hunting for that matter. He actually caught on pretty quickly, but the "strike point" system flat tore him up. LOL
He couldn't wrap his mind around how "barking first" had any relevance to how good a hound was at treeing coon. LOL All I could say was, "It doesn't, but those are the rules."

402-209-5053

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:04 AM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why didn't you explain to him that the dog that finds the tree first is rewarded 125 points and the dog that finds the track first gets 100 points. When a dog finds a track, the dog is supposed to track bark so that everyone knows it and his handler can strike him. When a dog finds the tree, it is supposed to tree bark so that his handler can tree him.

Now if a handler thinks the dog tree barks and trees him but he isn't treed, then the dog gets his tree points minused. If a dog track barks and his handler strikes him but the dog isn't trailing, then the dog gets his strike points minused.

It isn't that hard to understand. A hound is supposed to first find a track and then tree it.

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:21 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Do handlers train a dog to tree too quick or slick tree?
Do handlers train a dog to open on a track too quick or babble?

Which is worse, a slick tree'er or a babbler?

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:34 AM