UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bloodline known for winding capabilities?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I have stumbled across a couple podcast about working dogs and one of the discussions turned to you always wanted to be going into the wind so the dogs could smell the IED’s before you got to them. Thinking about big game dogs lots of guys rig those dogs up on top of dog box, pretty amazing how far these dogs can pick up scent. I have a 2 year old that i have seen throw his head ip into the wind as i pull him out of the truck, you might as well go ahead and point him in that direction cause thats the way he is going, he will usually be struck or treed in that direction in short order.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2019 02:09 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Dean

That’s awesome! I would love to have me a coondog that will rig. Got a pup right now who’s 8 months he shows great potential to be a rig dog the way he can use his nose. I will put him to the test at least lol

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Ole South’s Stylish Dixie
TK’s Ole South’s Stylish Black Betty
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-21-2019 01:05 PM
ColdNose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColdNose93 Click here to Send ColdNose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email ColdNose93 Find more posts by ColdNose93 Add ColdNose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Winding Dogs/ Dogs that Work off Body Scent

The ability to wind their game is one of the traits of an Outstanding hound. They are actually tracking and treeing off body scent instead of track scent. The challenge that I've encountered over the years was that most dogs that were exceptional at locating and treeing off body scent were tight mouthed close hunters. What I've always looked for were dogs that winded their tracks and ran to catch and were cold nosed dogs. I believe that this is a recessive controlled trait. Dogs that wind tree, but aren't very good at it will be off a tree or two from where the coon is. Dogs that work off body scent can be the most accurate because they tree off where the game is and not where it was.

Old Post 12-21-2019 01:30 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Winding Bloodlines

I've observed the original bloodlines with this trait were; Shetlers Sonny Boy, Stanfield Sailor, Mack Twain. If you cross a pure winding dog to a pure trailing dog the offspring will be trailing, track straddling type.

Old Post 12-21-2019 01:37 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Your last question that ask why 100 strike and 125 tree is a good one. Many many years ago it was 100 and 100. I know the arguments on why people were against 125 tree points. To much emphasis on tree and you get too many slick trees.
I would love to hear the reason for support of 125 tree that were given back then.
Think about it. Many today feel the true track dog is in the minority. Did that point change have anything to do with it?

Old Post 12-21-2019 02:37 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

Winding a racoon scent:

The Cash dog I had was a natural at this.At first I didn't catch on to what he was doing,get him out of the truck,turn him loose and he would chop twice,bolt in there like a rocket,and throw his locate and fall treed,and you would see a racoon everytime!I have seen him do this 50 feet from the truck or as far as he needed,but it was awesome!
I caught on to this and started watching him close,Cash was a tall dog,28 and 1/2 inches tall at his shoulders.When he got out of the dogbox he would have to stand or raise up to get out of the back of the truck,when he would throw his head up and roll it to the side he was winding or smelling a real live racoon right then,then when released he would run in the direction of the scent,and he was FAST and DEADLY accurate at this!Cash was a direct son of Stylish Coma,and his mama was a direct daughter of Wipeout Zack(MOOSE)! I have semen off Cash I am going to use when I find the right female!
Don"t think COMA X WIPEOUT can't do this,Iknow they can!

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 12-21-2019 02:58 PM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

My Hooper Ridge English have that winding ability you are referring to. I have tried to maintain that trait for the past 40 some years. My Ole Queen female could wind a coon out of the air vent of a haul box at 45 to 50 MPH consistently.

My Rocket, Rowdy, and Buddy hounds were also very good at winding a track normally 100 to 200 yards if the wind was in their face, and the air was damp. And as was stated earlier, they trail with their head up and usually cover 75 to 100 yds between barks. and yes that is enough (today) to get your strike points deleted or misused. I seen a lot of handlers, 15-20 tears ago saying my dog was babbling because he winded a coon, opened on air scent, and then went to the coon.

It is a trait, that these new rules are working to eliminate so if you plan to do any comp hunting you may want to reconsider looking for a dog with those type of abilities. But if your wanting a coon catching, put the pressure on a running coon, type of hound, then in my opinion, they are one of the very best styles to hunt with.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-21-2019 04:02 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

WINDING ( Bruce is Right )

I have a Bone Collector dog that hunts into the wind every drop. When I first got this hound he got me in a lot of places I wasn't supposed to be. You would turn him loose towards a woods North and he would flip right around and head south. Used to PiXX me off bad. Then I figured out he always wanted to hunt with head up into the wind. Trees a lot of lay ups. No ground barks just a huge locate and then treed. When he runs on the ground opens just right amount for me. I believe it comes from Skuna River Fred line. I had one a couple years back out of Bark that could wind them going down the road. Would start going crazy inside dog box just driving down the road. Got him out to beat the **** out of him and he kept tugging on the leash wanting loose. I turned him loose and he was treed in under two minutes. After that night he did that over and over, but when he first started barking in box I thought he was nuts **** near blew his brains out.
Another line of dog that I'm hunting right now is from a stud dog out of Tennessee called Mtn. Top Deamon a lot of old blood. This pup is now a year old and he has been winding since he was born. Absolutely a natural coon dog. I watched him the very first time I took him hunting at 5 months old throw his head into the air go 100 yard let out a locate and start treeing on a cheese head. The next time he did it was a coon and has never looked back. Treeing coon like a season hound. I truly believe these two blood lines will throw those traits more then not.

Old Post 12-21-2019 04:03 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have seen dogs with many different styles. But my Bone dog showed me three different styles in the same night. I saw him wind a hot one from some distance. And then drive the track fast and hard. Then on the recut go and find one to cold trail up and tree. Then on the recut. After about 15 minutes. Just fall treed with the coon. Not one track bark.

Old Post 12-21-2019 05:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Winding ability...when I breed a litter of pups I am looking for and testing for different things but natural winding is a trait I hope to see in a pup...natural means putting their nose up to the wind the first time I test for it...

If the wind is coming out of the north and we are hunting from East to West...If there was a hog or fresh track, hog bed or fresh wallow anywhere upwind and the winding conditions are right then any good hog scent coming to the dogs will up there chances of striking a hog pretty quick...dogs that like to wind tend to locate a loss pretty quick as well...

Old Post 12-21-2019 08:11 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Hillbilly Mac

I seen it so many times with my dogs running with their heads up.

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Last edited by mike shannon on 12-22-2019 at 03:46 AM

Old Post 12-22-2019 01:58 AM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andrewdavis
UKC Forum Member

I will second Mike's comment the mac blood deff has it hunt a hound for him and she'll lay them up on the coldest days like it's nothing love hunting her when the hunting gets tough cause shes still treeing 10 coons a night when everyone else hasn't seen one not talking crap just stating facts shannon's hillbilly cookie is one fine hound and I love hunting her!!!

Nitech grch shannons hillbilly cookie (rip)
Pr davis'hillbilly tiny diamond
team hillbilly mac !!!

Old Post 12-22-2019 02:50 AM
andrewdavis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andrewdavis Click here to Send andrewdavis a Private Message Click Here to Email andrewdavis Find more posts by andrewdavis Add andrewdavis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Our Buck dog, which is out of Tree Blaster(Sailor Bred)
Is a winding dog, soon as you let him out of the box most times he is already checking the wind and you can watch him go that direction, like Kler Kry said he is tight on track but also a deep hunter. When he was a pup I would have him on a 20 ft cable and watch him stand on his back legs to smell the breeze.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 12-22-2019 07:43 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Winding

Thanks for All the comments I wasn’t expecting so many! Keep them coming lol. So my 8 month old who has showed me he has a strong nose and can wind better than any else that I have seen. he has been winding and running the heck out of some deer. I want to feel more educated before I try to break him I don’t want to ruin him I feel like I ruined one 10 years ago when I tried breaking one off deer with a shock collar that was doing great

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-23-2019 11:20 AM
ColdNose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColdNose93 Click here to Send ColdNose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email ColdNose93 Find more posts by ColdNose93 Add ColdNose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Once he knows full well what a coon is, you cant hurt him by breaking him on off game.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 12-23-2019 04:07 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Once he knows full well what a coon is, you cant hurt him by breaking him on off game.

X2

I break mine off deer in my back yard or in their kennels...all other off game I break in the woods...

I use deer scent and cattle prod...but any shock collar should work...takes two sessions several days apart and the third session a little bump with collar a week later...I use common sense but do make a statement breaking them off deer...always make sure the wind is moving towards the pup...he needs to always know it is the deer causing the pain...I also roll up a white paper towel and add the deer scent there...my thinking is that I want the pup to get a clear picture of the white tail in the air...same as a deer running away from him in the woods...

If he didn’t get it repeat a few more times...

Last edited by Reuben on 12-24-2019 at 02:37 AM

Old Post 12-23-2019 04:26 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

breaking

I wouldn't worry about the deer running. My pup out of Deamon ran deer like he was tied to em from five months old to around twelve months old. One night he ran five right passed us and he was about 50 yards behind them. I picked him up about two miles from there in about five minutes time. During that whole time he would tree coon in between running deer. Then out of no where he just quit running deer and now if he opens he will put a tree on the end of it. I never once yelled at him or even tried to correct him from running deer. I always feel like if they are running deer they got some fire in them. Once they figure out they can't catch them they usually quit. The realize treeing coon is easier and they get to chew on it in the end. Won't say mine won't run a deer now just that he hasn't for months. Good luck.

Old Post 12-23-2019 05:39 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Breaking deer

Thanks everyone I enjoy reading everyone’s opinions on breaking deer

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-24-2019 01:44 AM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

I saw a little short eared/hound looking dog that had a set of single registered English papers on him, saw him tree sixteen singles between dark and probably an hour short of daylight in Michigan about thirty years ago. He always had is nose in the air and he just fell treed, deadly accurate.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 12-25-2019 02:15 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

I saw a little short eared/hound looking dog that had a set of single registered English papers on him, saw him tree sixteen singles between dark and probably an hour short of daylight in Michigan about thirty years ago. He always had is nose in the air and he just fell treed, deadly accurate.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 12-25-2019 02:16 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like a nice hound

Sixteen singles that’s impressive. Has a lot of people seen hounds with shorter ears doing good? I usually like the longer ears what do y’all think?

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-25-2019 07:19 PM
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

Finley River Nite Hawk was known to reproduce dogs with winding ability in striking and trailing as well as treeing lay up coons.

A houndsmans drive is not the thrill of the kill it's the sound of the hound !!!

Old Post 01-22-2020 09:46 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Coldnose93 from the first time I saw this hound I hated his ear length. But as he treed more and more coon and won more and more money. The ears didn't seem to bother me so much. Now I just say "What Ears". He has the shortest ears I ever had on a hound and is one of the better ones I have had. I bred him once and thank goodness the pups didn't have short ears.

Old Post 01-22-2020 11:44 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Heavy ozark preacher bred dogs were the best I ever saw at it.

Tar

Old Post 01-22-2020 02:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Your last question that ask why 100 strike and 125 tree is a good one. Many many years ago it was 100 and 100. I know the arguments on why people were against 125 tree points. To much emphasis on tree and you get too many slick trees.
I would love to hear the reason for support of 125 tree that were given back then.
Think about it. Many today feel the true track dog is in the minority. Did that point change have anything to do with it?

yes, then add in circle points ,shorter hunt times and low fur prices ,

Old Post 01-23-2020 09:16 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote